• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird recording software (1 Viewer)

Moorcroft

What are the available options in PC software for maintaining an ongoing record of birds seen? I'm looking for something more elaborate than a simple list.

Additionally are there any birding apps for android mobiles?

What are the available options in PC software for maintaining an ongoing record of birds seen? I'm looking for something more elaborate than a simple list.

Entering into a public online database is the way to go. Otherwise all your meticulous record keeping dies with you--while a public database lives (at least in theory) forever. I use eBird.

Jim

Entering into a public online database is the way to go. Otherwise all your meticulous record keeping dies with you--while a public database lives (at least in theory) forever. I use eBird.

Jim

You're right although my records when I start wouldn't cause many ripples in the world of science :-O
The ebird doesn't appear to have a UK portal.

You're right although my records when I start wouldn't cause many ripples in the world of science :-O
The ebird doesn't appear to have a UK portal.

You can enter observations from the UK or anywhere in the world on the main eBird site. See this thread: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=208403 And every bird observation can be useful to scientists and is appropriate for eBird--eBird is definitely not just for rarities or for "serious birders". And eBird is free.

Best,
Jim

http://birdbase.com/
http://www.avisys.net/

are a couple of free standing options (I also upload to Ebird online, so I do both). I have the first of the above because it was basically the cheapest of the commercial entities when I wanted to start. Today, if starting again, I would probably go for one where I could automatically link to my own images of rarer birds I have seen and one that could automatically export in Ebird format - mine does neither, but has otherwise been good and robust (I have about 20000 observation of a little more than 2000 bird species in my personal database).

Niels

eBird and other internet databases are the best choice if you want to share your observations.
Here are several links, most of them found in the birdforum.net.

Internet databases:
eBird
Observado.org
Avibase and Avibase - demo for Kenya
BirdTrack
MyList

Computer programs:
BirdJournal
MapMate
Birdwatcher's Diary - for iPhone
Birder for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and it's forum
Wildlife Recorder
birdcountr - for Android and iphone
BlueBill Mobile - for smartphone
Twitcher - for iPhone and iPod
Dutch Bird Alerts - for Android
Jeffs' Birding Database - for Microsoft Access

But you can create your own database, with infinite number of options and possibilities. Everything is up to you. Here are sample database templates for Microsoft Access, first one very simple, second one a little to chaotical:
birds.mdb
observations.mdb (this one not in english)

Last edited:
J Moore
NJ Larsen and
Locustella

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions in my quest for suitable PC and Android programs to record my bird sghtings.

There's a lot of stuff to sift through now and I'll have to roll up my sleeves and get stuck into the task of 'suck it and see'.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks how I've got on.

Once again many thanks to everyone who has contributed.

I would second the nomination of Bluebird Technologies' Bird Journal. Apart from anything else, it has an excellent facility to export to eBird.

Alan

I have just spent a happy couple of days moving my lists from Wildlife recorder to Ebird. On the whole it was quite a simple thing, once you had got the hang of it.

I have used recorder for years with a palm PC, now I am just changing to android and for plain listing it is perfect. But Ebird really seems to bring these lists to life.

Don't think I could manage without either now.

Mark

I just took a look at ebird. It looks quite impressive. So I downloaded the template, and readied myself to export my sightings into it.. I got a "unavailable at this time - come back later" message.

Is this regular, or was I just unlucky, and how long on average will I have to wait for a fix?

All in favour of moving my sightings off the PC based recording software that it currently sits on, but with 20k sightings, I'd like it to be fairly reliable.

I see ebird lets you download your sightings back to your PC, this is good for ensuring a backup should something go wrong in "the cloud",

Peter

LOL.. I've managed to answer my own question..
The error message form ebird involving a team of parrots dispatched to fix the problem is a bit vague, and in my case didn't relate to a problem at the ebird end. More a problem with my data.

A fewtips for (uk) birders uploading sightings in bulk..
* Make sure your import file is saved as csv,
* Make sure the date is in mm/dd/yyyy format,
* Start with small files to get an idea that the files are compatible before dumping several years of data!
* I got into confusion as ebird interprets county / state as England, Wales etc. in the import template

I'm just about ready to go with all my English sightings. Although fixing the species and locations will take a bit of time I suspect.

Peter and Mark,

Glad to see public global databases such as eBird are catching on in the UK. Thanks for taking the time to enter your sightings!

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back