• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fody on Mauritius (1 Viewer)

MKinHK

Mike Kilburn
Hong Kong
I photographed this Fody in The Black River Gorges National Park in Mauritius this morning.

Taking the location and the clear definition between the white belly and red breast do I have enough to safely identify this as Mauritius Fody?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• DSC08378 Fody on Mauritius @ Blk Rivr Gorge NP.jpg
    DSC08378 Fody on Mauritius @ Blk Rivr Gorge NP.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 82
I've got no experience of either Mike but the bill structure isn't convincing, said to be longer and thinner on Mauritius?

The underparts are also very pale compared to the books which is better for Madagascar and the red breast is maybe too extensive for Mauritious?

A

Last edited:
Last edited:
According to Opus Mauritius Fody is now only found in the Ile aux Aigrettes Nature Reserve - I don't know how accurate this is.
They reckon there's over a hundred breeding pairs left.. The Ile aux Aigrettes is a tiny island.. I've been there... Caught a lot of Madagascar's.. There's no way they're all on that tiny island.. I had a quick look at the end of my meal break.. Answered a bit too quick.. lots of green below.. They say there are some hybrids.. Perhaps its one of those?

Funny you should say that, in the books I looked at, it looks most like Forest Foady which of course isn't there.

A

Hello Andy.. Yes you could be right.. There are a lot of species on Mauritius which aren't meant to be there (not just birds)... Hopefully someone more expert will come up with an answer.. I meant to say Madagascar are mostly Red/orange all over earlier but I do tend to open my mouth without engaging my brain at times...

Many thanks for this interesting discussion.

It certainly doesn't seem like I should be ticking this bird.

Cheers
Mike

Many thanks for this interesting discussion.

It certainly doesn't seem like I should be ticking this bird.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, why do you suggest that the location eliminates Madagascar, I found a couple of pics of the species at this site?

http://www.hbw.com/ibc/species/60999/photos

I'm surprised that no one with a bit more experience has weighed in. If this was my bird, I'd probably tick Madagascar for the reasons given.

A

Last edited:
In Answer to andyadcock's question I should have said I will not be ticking this as Mauritius Fody.

I have already ticked Madagascar with confidence elsewhere - there is a pic here of one from the grounds of my hotel.It was partly the contrast with this bird that raised in my mind the possibility that the bird photographed above might be Mauritius Fody.

Cheers
Mike

In Answer to andyadcock's question I should have said I will not be ticking this as Mauritius Fody.

Cheers
Mike

Mike, I only questioned the fact that you seemed to be ruling Madagascar out on location as much as anything else, maybe I misinterpreted?

A

That's a Madagascar Fody - in addition to the reasons mentioned by Andy, the extent of red colouration on the breast is too great for Mauritius Fody. Mauritius Fodies are present on Ile aux Aigrettes (reintroduced population) and in the Black River Gorges National Park. There were about 50 pairs on IAA when I was last there (2011) and about 100 pairs in the NP around the Combo area.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back