• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fascinating Interview with Meopta Product Manager (1 Viewer)

I don't know and it is normal for customers using contract manufacturers to insist on confidentiality. The Leica and Zeiss scopes are known about because they are old models and this information 'leaked' in various ways over the years.

Lee

The companies might not talk about it but it might be well known by consumers like collectors and such? A bit like the watch industry that shares many factories, parts and movements behind the scenes and you can read about all that in many watch maniac forums. Or the car industry again. You can buy a Mercedes that is actually made by Renault including the engine!
I love to separate the facts from the fiction.

Last edited:
The companies might not talk about it but it might be well known by consumers like collectors and such? A bit like the watch industry that shares many factories, parts and movements behind the scenes and you can read about all that in many watch maniac forums. Or the car industry again. You can buy a Mercedes that is actually made by Renault including the engine!
I love to separate the facts from the fiction.

Yes this is possible. I remember having a Volvo V40 estate car that was based on a Mitsubishi platform, with an engine based on one from Renault and this 'Swedish' car was made in the Netherlands! So I understand what you mean and perhaps some members might be able to cast some light on this.

Lee

Jerry
I usually hate thumb indents because in the past they have never fitted my thumbs. The indents on the back of the MeoStar B1s are an exception and feel super-comfortable.

Lee

The Meopro HD 8x32 are also good thumb indents, at least for me. On other makes, they sometimes push my thumb saddle up into the strap eyelet, but the Meopro's are great feeling in hand. The thumb indent helps using one-handed.

The Meopro HD 8x32 are also good thumb indents, at least for me. On other makes, they sometimes push my thumb saddle up into the strap eyelet, but the Meopro's are great feeling in hand. The thumb indent helps using one-handed.

Good to know Marc. I must try a MeoPro someday soon.

Lee

Good to know somebody likes it this way. But I personally never needed thumb indents to hold my binocular.
I don't want this debate to become sort of "anti meopta" in any way as my statement was meant to be more general towards almost all manufacturers. As many binoculars (not meoptas) are mass produced anywhere it might be tempting for the final brands selling them to add a tad too much of their badge design afterwards to make them recognizable for marketing.
It's boils down to personal taste. I like it functional and classic like those Dialyts.

Good to know somebody likes it this way. But I personally never needed thumb indents to hold my binocular.
I don't want this debate to become sort of "anti meopta" in any way as my statement was meant to be more general towards almost all manufacturers. As many binoculars (not meoptas) are mass produced anywhere it might be tempting for the final brands selling them to add a tad too much of their badge design afterwards to make them recognizable for marketing.
It's boils down to personal taste. I like it functional and classic like those Dialyts.

Hi Seb
I don't need thumb indents either. But the MeoStar's are so comfortable for me and instead of grumbling about the indents getting in the way of my grip (eg Swarovski EL) I hardly notice they are there or just smile at how nice they feel.

I had several Dialyts and a Leica Trinovid in the 1970's and 80s and the ones without rubber armour were so elegant as well as being great binos. Nikon's HG binos have got something of that appearance although the brand and model badges are a bit too big for my taste, but they do feel good in the hand.

Lee

Last edited:
Troubador:

Nice interview, and some interesting answers.

You forgot to ask the most obvious question though: Why on earth is the diopter correction range of their binoculars only +/-3 diopters?

Hermann

Troubador:

You forgot to ask the most obvious question though: Why on earth is the diopter correction range of their binoculars only +/-3 diopters?

Hermann

Good question Herman, and perhaps the answer is that the range provided is adequate for most people. But I will try to get an answer.

Lee

The Nighforce ED/HD spotter is a Meopta made, "reskinned" S2. Trijicon binocs are also Meopta made.

You mean the TS82 spotter? The eyepieces have the same magnification range as the S2 and it looks similar. In other industries I have experienced, if a company licensed the use of one of its own designs by another company it was usually a 3-4-5 year old version of it with reduced performance compared with the current model.

Lee

jgraider, post 50,
What is the source from which you conclude that these instruments are made by Meopta? From the pictures and comments I could not find any information about it, so I am very interested.
Gijs van Ginkel

Troubador:

Hermann

H

Meopta commented that the B1 family was introduced as long ago as 2005 and that a wider adjustment range is being considered for possible future models.

Lee

jgraider, post 50,
What is the source from which you conclude that these instruments are made by Meopta? From the pictures and comments I could not find any information about it, so I am very interested.
Gijs van Ginkel

While at the Dallas Safari Club convention in January 2017, I went by Meopta's booth and spoke with Reinhard Seipp (sp?) the General Manager of Meopta USA. I have a G&O (guide and outfitter) relationship with them and wanted to meet him face to face. We talked about lots of stuff. At that time Nightforce was pimping their new spotter, and I asked Mr Seipp about it, and he confirmed that is was Meopta made.

As to the Trijicon binocs, you will notice that they look identical to the previous version Meopta Meopro's, but Meopta added the HD/ED lens system to the Trijicon's, as Trijicon requested.

Troubador:

Hermann

Hermann,

Here is what an engineer at Meopta told me some time ago:
"The dioptric compensation between the eyes, nominally listed as +/- 3D, is bigger and minimum difference we measure is +/- 6D."
I know you need -4d, so you should be fine.

Peter.

Hermann,

Here is what an engineer at Meopta told me some time ago:
"The dioptric compensation between the eyes, nominally listed as +/- 3D, is bigger and minimum difference we measure is +/- 6D."
I know you need -4d, so you should be fine.

Peter.

I just checked B1 8x32 and 7x42 and although there are no engravings indicating the available dioptres the wheel turns a very long distance indeed.

Lee

Lee,

You can try to get a rough estimate of the diopter compensation range focusing the right tube, w/ and w/o glasses, using only the diopter compensation knob when you use the binos w/o glasses.

Peter

This is admittedly just my taste and others might think different. To take another example I think many current cars are über-ugly by design.

I think we are just showing our age my friend. I think the BMW E39 5-series, for instance, is a most cleanly and attractively styled car; but my younger colleagues at work much prefer the looks of the F10 and later models.

It wouldn't surprise me that the pre-war generation who had used things like Galilean binoculars and Barr & Stroud CF41s also thought that Dialyts and Trinovids were modern and zany when they appeared. o:D

I think we are just showing our age my friend. I think the BMW E39 5-series, for instance, is a most cleanly and attractively styled car; but my younger colleagues at work much prefer the looks of the F10 and later models.

It wouldn't surprise me that the pre-war generation who had used things like Galilean binoculars and Barr & Stroud CF41s also thought that Dialyts and Trinovids were modern and zany when they appeared. o:D

The E39 Touring was always my favourite! And for sure after seeing nothing but porro prism binos for years the Trinovids and Dialyts looked like binos from outer space in the same racy and streamlined way that Fender's Stratocaster looked like it was from a different world compared with Gibson's big hollow-bodies.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back