• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harness (1 Viewer)

prc6995

Hi everyone,

I'm really enjoying my EL 8x32's however I'm thinking of getting a harness & wondered whether people used the Swarovski harness or another harness with the field pro adaptators. I know they're light but I do a lot of walking & find the the strap causes my neck to sweat quite a bit, hence the harness.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Peter

Rick Young Outdoor Ultralight Harness is the best harness (and accessory in general) I've ever bought for binoculars. I believe Chill6x6 has used them with the FP models.

I have the swaro harness. It works beautifully. Extremely comfortable. You will not be disappointed. Sportoptics.com offers a nice discount for them when you call.

I use a Rick Young harness. They are counter-intuitive in that the straps are narrow and one might think they will dig into the body (indeed one staff member at a well-known optics chain dismessed the Rick Young for that very reason). In my experience (and that of many others) they are simply brilliant. I can wear my Zeis 8x42 FL all day without fatigue. No hesitation in recommending the harness. I bought mine direct from Rick Young in America and had to pay customs charges and the Royal Mail a "handling charge" so the harness worked out quite expensive. I have since discovered that there are retaillers in the UK so it is possible to pay less than I did. Try Focus Optics in Coventry.

https://focusoptics.eu/webshop/accessories/bino-harnesses/ultra-light-bino-harness/

I use a Swarovski harness for my SLC 8x42 and i never want to go back for a normal neckstrap. Not only is the weightbalance better, i can also walk and the bino remains still on my chest. That bouncing when walking with a neckstrap made me really nervous after a while. Unfortunally i lost my strap at Helgoland. The first thing i did after i got home was to order a new one.

the harness from swarovski i have used and still use sometimes..... 1 thing about harnesses ; When you carry a backpack then the use of a harness is not practical .and i have tried it and yes it is not practical then

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The Rick Young harness looks interesting but I think I'd need to try it out. The Optech was one I was considering & I may just get one anyway as my wife could always use it on her Opticrons if I decide I don't like it.

Rememeber you have the benefit of what used to be called the "Distance Selling Regulations". If you buy mail order and change your mind you are entitled to a refund. Just return the item within 14 days and you get the refund. You will have to pay the return postage if you change your mind, though.

I actually got rid of my Op-Tech harness (and my similar Crooked Horn harness) after getting the RYO UL harness... the other standard harness are fine, but the Rick Young harness is much easier to use/adjust and has the added benefit of functioning in other styles, e.g. bandolier or as a standard neck-strap.

Justin

I actually got rid of my Op-Tech harness (and my similar Crooked Horn harness) after getting the RYO UL harness... the other standard harness are fine, but the Rick Young harness is much easier to use/adjust and has the added benefit of functioning in other styles, e.g. bandolier or as a standard neck-strap.

Justin

I couldn't agree more - my wife got me the RYO for Christmas, I love it!

Chris

I was intrigued but put off by the price of the Rick Young harness. With the right bits and pieces - all easily available online - and a bit of ingenuity, you can make your own lightweight harness very similar to the RY and with all its functionality for a third of the cost. I'm using one on my 8x32EL at the moment and I'm not thinking of going back to the stock neckstrap in the foreseeable future.

RB

I was intrigued but put off by the price of the Rick Young harness. With the right bits and pieces - all easily available online - and a bit of ingenuity, you can make your own lightweight harness very similar to the RY and with all its functionality for a third of the cost. I'm using one on my 8x32EL at the moment and I'm not thinking of going back to the stock neckstrap in the foreseeable future.

RB

So you've got a $2000 bino around your neck, but you're upset at the cost of a $24 RYO harness?

the RYO harness you can not use with the swarovski "Pro" EL's bino's .

When I first heard of the RYO harness several years ago, there wasn't a UK supplier and to buy one directly from the States would have meant being stung significantly by import taxes & handling charges, hence the DIY harness. On seeing how close I could get to the RYO harness at a fraction of the cost & hassle, I never felt the need to shell out £35 GBP for what is essentially a length of shock cord, a few plastic fittings and 20 minutes of my time. If you have money to burn, that's your choice and I'm not being critical of it so ...

RB

I hope its OK to link to another site, please delete if not allowed. I use one of these (LINK) expensive but great for all day outings, no discomfort at all.

the RYO harness you can not use with the swarovski "Pro" EL's bino's .

You sure CAN! I have the RYO UL harness on my 8.5X42, 10X50, and 12X50 SV Field Pro models. An adapter comes the the FP that allows one to use the RY harness or basically any strap ones choses.

DIY harness ~$7

Worked out a good harness solution. DIY RYO harness - cost about $7. ~5in. 1.75mm polyester cord (old jacket pull tags), 7ft of 1/8in. (3mm?) shock cord, 1 cord lock and one small metal ring (taken from Swiss Army knife). I tied each of 2 2.5in pieces of 1.75mm cord into a small loop. Feed a loop strong there’s through this loop and both ends of the thread through the strap lugs to pull the 1.75mm cord through the lugs. Run each end of the shock cord through the cord lops that are now in the lugs, then each goes through the cord lock and is then knotted at the end. Take a bight of the shock cord from the exact middle of the shock cord length and make a small loop from this that feeds through the metal ring. Once this loop is through then the shock cord and cord kick gets tucked through that loop. Done.

This was posted in a Victory 8x25 review thread. I’ve made one further modification using some leather I had laying around. With this I don’t need the cord lock. See pics.

I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• BB694E29-6DC8-4396-84EF-1E3F25A9FA2D.jpg
    BB694E29-6DC8-4396-84EF-1E3F25A9FA2D.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 81
  • B748CAB9-6690-4397-9693-F18498A94B53.jpg
    B748CAB9-6690-4397-9693-F18498A94B53.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 69
  • BC198048-9207-44A4-A63C-495E9762A047.jpg
    BC198048-9207-44A4-A63C-495E9762A047.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back