Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Which Golden Plover?

Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 03:23   #1
Oldnintheway

Which Golden Plover?

Hi folks, these were taken this evening in NW Washington State, right on the border of B.C. Is it American or Pacific?
Thanks! Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6566.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	361.4 KB
ID:	676573  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6573.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	676574  
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 04:03   #2
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Juvenile Pacific, I would say, given the overall yellowness.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 04:09   #3
Oldnintheway

Thanks fugl.There were 3 or 4 others with similar structure but only slightly golden colored. This one stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb. The photo unaltered except for cropping.
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 11:31   #4
SteveClifton

Could it just be a brightly coloured juv AGP?

As a British birder I would typically expect a vagrant AGP to be very grey, and PGP to be more 'golden', but considerable variation exists in the European Golden Plover population (which I'm more familiar with). Some birds are very pale and 'washed out' as was one of the birds I was watching just yesterday, and a few very grey individuals exist too-almost lacking any warm hues. So surely there is also variation in the populations of AGP and PGP?

This is a bright juvenile AGP, but perhaps brighter individuals might also be possible? https://www.flickr.com/photos/gahaganphoto/29570012750/

It's not easy to judge the length of the primaries and tertials from this angle, but the latter do appear to fall short of the tail tip (best judged in pic #1), which would favour AGP.

Last edited by SteveClifton : Sunday 7th October 2018 at 20:16.
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 18:40   #5
jmorlan
Hmmm. That's funny -- Opus Editor

Classic bright juvenile Pacific Golden-Plover. American juveniles never this overall golden especially on the nape which never has yellow.
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 19:53   #6
Oldnintheway

Thanks for the replies! There were 800-1000 BBPlovers, 2 Marbled Godwits, 1 Willet and 4 or 5 what looked like golden plovers by size, shape and color, though they varied from barley goldish to this one. The flock was constantly shifting and was flushed several times by beach walkers to return in a different configuration. So it's pretty tough to keep track of a single bird. I initially though this(pics 1&2) was the same bird that I originally posted,but in reviewing pics I'm thinking it was different. The third pic is of one of the lesser colored birds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6734.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	676649  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6727.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	378.2 KB
ID:	676650  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6679.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	376.2 KB
ID:	676651  
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 20:13   #7
SteveClifton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorlan View Post
Classic bright juvenile Pacific Golden-Plover. American juveniles never this overall golden especially on the nape which never has yellow.
I agree, it does look to be a Pacific on those two images, was just asking about the range of variation in AGP, as most juveniles occurring in Europe aren't anywhere near as bright, so how do you explain the bright gold tones in the photo I linked to above? How often do individuals like this occur in the general population?

Pacifics must be quite rare in eastern North America? hence why I thought it wise to eliminate all possibility of American GP.

Last edited by SteveClifton : Sunday 7th October 2018 at 20:19.
Old Monday 8th October 2018, 01:37   #8
jmorlan
Hmmm. That's funny -- Opus Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldnintheway View Post
Thanks for the replies! There were 800-1000 BBPlovers, 2 Marbled Godwits, 1 Willet and 4 or 5 what looked like golden plovers by size, shape and color, though they varied from barley goldish to this one. The flock was constantly shifting and was flushed several times by beach walkers to return in a different configuration. So it's pretty tough to keep track of a single bird. I initially though this(pics 1&2) was the same bird that I originally posted,but in reviewing pics I'm thinking it was different. The third pic is of one of the lesser colored birds.

The first two are definitely Pacific Golden-Plover juveniles. Hard to tell if they are the same or different individuals. But Bird #3 is different with a nice dark cap contrasting with pale nape and little gold spangling above and none below. It also seems to show long primary projection with the extension beyond the tertials about the same as the tertials themselves. To me, this looks good for American Golden-Plover. Both species migrate through the West Coast and I have seen both together at times in California in the Fall.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: