Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

The P1000 is big

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 26th September 2018, 16:05   #51
Nick Leech

Very interesting Den. Would have been nice to see 2500mm and 3000mm shots of the plate on the P1000 also.

Interested to see how IQ compares between 3000mm on the P1000 and 2000mm on the P900 with cropping.

cheers,
Nick
Old Thursday 27th September 2018, 03:52   #52
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

The hope is that a P1000/monopod combo might serve travelers more productively than the venerable scope/tripod choice.
The idea would be a material savings in weight and bulk. This assumes the camera stabilization is sufficiently effective to allow it to perform adequately. Obviously the image will be constrained by the display, but it should be good enough.
Hopefully there will be some feedback on this potential from the early users. Possibly the P1000 could emerge as the poor man's EDG VR scope alternative.

Last edited by etudiant : Thursday 27th September 2018 at 13:12.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 01:39   #53
Bird_Huszar

In terms of size, hand-held usability, picture quality and zoom reach, is the P900 still the overall better camera?
Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 08:15   #54
poledark

After 3 weeks or so of continual use I would have to say that once you get used to the extra bulk of the 1000 then it is a vastly better camera. To be honest I am not really bothered about the moon or the planets, what I hoped for was better performance in the mid range and I think I have got that......especially when the light is a bit dull.

My garden faces SE so I am facing in to sun until midday this means either deep shade under the trees and shrubs, or backlit birds out in the open..........tricky. I have spent a lot of time chasing a couple of chiff chats on nearly bare Hawthorne tree and they just won’t stay still, but the AF works like lightning the moment I latch on to the bird.
The large bright EVF is superb, especially searching for a tiny bird 20 yards away among a lot of branches.
The Manual focus button and ring (on lens barrel) are simplicity itself, other buttons and dials are much firmer than the 900, and all in all I can only say that the 1000 is a huge upgrade from the 900........twice the price but twice the camera.
Den

Last edited by poledark : Saturday 6th October 2018 at 10:49.
Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 08:23   #55
poledark

Just a word or two more re the p1000, while out in the woods a few days ago I spotted a small bird almost hidden in the foliage of a tree. Could not see enough of it to tell what it was, but pointed the camera and fired off 7 shots. When I got home and checked I had got a charming shot of a Blackcap peeping out at me.
On the 900 the only indication of zoom level is a blue bar, on the 1000 you get a number showing exactly what the zoom is, even for example, 620/ 750/2200 etc. Very handy info, enables me to switch from level to another and back again knowing just where I started.

Den
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small blackcap.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	837.9 KB
ID:	676444  

Last edited by poledark : Saturday 6th October 2018 at 10:15. Reason: Added
Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 08:36   #56
Gzoladz74

I find the P1000 great too...reach, quality, portability, the EVF is great. If the IQ is good enough for your expectations, and the size is not an issue (that was my fear coming from the P900 and got used to it very quickly) it is a great camera.
Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 17:33   #57
MerlinT

Quote:
Originally Posted by poledark View Post
Just a word or two more re the p1000, while out in the woods a few days ago I spotted a small bird almost hidden in the foliage of a tree. Could not see enough of it to tell what it was, but pointed the camera and fired off 7 shots. When I got home and checked I had got a charming shot of a Blackcap peeping out at me.
On the 900 the only indication of zoom level is a blue bar, on the 1000 you get a number showing exactly what the zoom is, even for example, 620/ 750/2200 etc. Very handy info, enables me to switch from level to another and back again knowing just where I started.

Den
Very nice :)
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 09:04   #58
Jacek Zarzycki

I wonder about performance of autofocus - did anyone tried to take picture of birds in flight ? Or warblers in foliage ? They are difficult for any camera, but some of them do their job... And samples :-) at full resolution, please :-)
Old Sunday 7th October 2018, 10:19   #59
poledark

Jacek, spent a lot of time chasing a Chiff Chaff in foliage. Distance about 12 mtrs, Camera did an excellent job of picking out the little bird. Apart from the blurred ones when bird moved to quick all were useable shots. This bird never kept still for more than a second or so camera had to work hard to find and then focus giving me enough time to press the shutter. It did an excellent job.
The previous pic of the little Blackcap is a good example, all I could see of the bird was a movement in the foliage, I fired off a burst of 7 shots and all were useable, except the one or two where the head was tipped sideways,

Got a lot of good shots of Kestrel hovering, but as it stayed still for quite long spells I don't think I would count it as a BIF :)

Unfortunately all the pics have been deleted from camera, but trust me, the 1000 does an excellent job.

Den
Old Tuesday 9th October 2018, 07:52   #60
poledark

Two more useful items.on the 1000, the snap back button has 3 settings so you can pick the shortest one which is quicker to react,giving more time to get the shot before bird moves.

There is a separate dedicated bird button on top dial, and if you then click on the lower dial you can set to infinity. I am hoping this will work for BIF. I suspect this is why Nikon added it, they do seem to have considered us birders with this camera.

Den
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 07:27   #61
Gzoladz74

Re BIF with the P1000, my success rate is low, but so was with the P900. I find it difficult to nail the focus, in particular with birds with an unpredictable flight pattern. I did get some keeper record shots (P900) but the keeper ratio is extremely low.
When I shoot BIF with the P90/P1000 I take it more as a challenge/training excercise.

Target finding is what works best for me, I tried subject tracking but I didn't get good results.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 14:06   #62
Musoman
PETE - Nikon Shooter

I've been reading a few review sites on the P1000, but haven't seen any mention of 2 actions that i like to use on my D610.

1) Constant AF / AF-C
2) Back button AF

I never use the shutter button on D610 for focusing, so back button focusing would be required.

Back button and AF-C ( for me anyway ) would be needed for bird movement
Old Saturday 13th October 2018, 14:45   #63
poledark

Versatile

A few shots from today. Dragonfly in flight. the camera was manual preset using peaking 800mm, best of quite a bunch.About 4 mtrs.
Wren poked its little head out of the hedge at 20mtrs, 1500mm in Bird setting, burst of 7. Several other good shots.
Goldfinch about 6mtrs, waving about on the feeder, Bird setting,one of a burst.

Den
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Owlpoo1Dragonfly crop.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	748.1 KB
ID:	677145  Click image for larger version

Name:	Owlpoo1DSCN2289.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	677146  Click image for larger version

Name:	Owlpoo1DSCN2283.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	677147  Click image for larger version

Name:	Owlpoo1DSCN2143.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	677148  
Old Saturday 13th October 2018, 22:30   #64
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
A few shots from today. Dragonfly in flight. the camera was manual preset using peaking 800mm, best of quite a bunch.About 4 mtrs.
Wren poked its little head out of the hedge at 20mtrs, 1500mm in Bird setting, burst of 7. Several other good shots.
Goldfinch about 6mtrs, waving about on the feeder, Bird setting,one of a burst.
None of these photos is very sharp (though certainly sharp enough for an ID if that’s the main concern).

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Sunday 14th October 2018 at 18:39.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 14th October 2018, 09:07   #65
poledark

Take your point Fugi, but at least I got the pics. By some standards I have probably never taken a perfect pic. I do have a 10X8 picture on the wall of my study, taken years ago with a Sony FD 185. This camera used floppy discs as storage, 4 shots per disc. By most standards it is not sharp enough, probably rated very noisy and lots of other faults. But I got the shot, I quite like the pose and the way the bird is obviously aware of me, printed on an inkjet printer the colour is very good.

That is the point of bridge cameras, the ability to point and shoot and get good record shots in a variety of situations from very close macro to Jupiter’s moons.

There are reams and reams of posts on BF from guys angsting about sensor size, noise,focal lengths and apertures. Weight of lens and body, the list goes on and on. Nikon have done a pretty good job with the P1000, not many situations where it will fail to deliver good quality images....................or am I easily satisfied?

Den
Old Sunday 14th October 2018, 19:01   #66
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Take your point Fugi, but at least I got the pics. By some standards I have probably never taken a perfect pic. I do have a 10X8 picture on the wall of my study, taken years ago with a Sony FD 185. This camera used floppy discs as storage, 4 shots per disc. By most standards it is not sharp enough, probably rated very noisy and lots of other faults. But I got the shot, I quite like the pose and the way the bird is obviously aware of me, printed on an inkjet printer the colour is very good.

That is the point of bridge cameras, the ability to point and shoot and get good record shots in a variety of situations from very close macro to Jupiter’s moons.

There are reams and reams of posts on BF from guys angsting about sensor size, noise,focal lengths and apertures. Weight of lens and body, the list goes on and on. Nikon have done a pretty good job with the P1000, not many situations where it will fail to deliver good quality images....................or am I easily satisfied?
Fair enough, we all have our own standards. Personally, I’m much more tolerant of grain (noise) in a photo than many people are but am very intolerant of even a hint of unsharpness. That said, there’s no disputing the handiness of bridge cameras. I’ve birding cronies who carry them and who are often able to grab shots that I miss entirely with my big clumsy equipment.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Monday 15th October 2018 at 02:06.

Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 08:30   #67
mrfredsporty

no back button focus on this model
Old Thursday 18th October 2018, 11:53   #68
poledark

Forgive my ignorance, but what is backbutton focus?

Ignore this, just googled it :)

Den

Last edited by poledark : Thursday 18th October 2018 at 12:03.
Old Friday 19th October 2018, 03:14   #69
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Are any P1000 owners using it as a spotting scope?

The hope is that because the scope has good reach and an acceptable display,
it might serve as a more comfortable instrument for scanning the fields, shores and waves, even if a tripod would still be required.

Old Friday 19th October 2018, 12:57   #70
poledark

Almost the first thing I do is to scan the area in front of me when in a hide, zooming in and out to "see what's about" Over 200mtrs or so it is not as good as my ED80, but does the job.

Got a nice shot of Mars last evening and at the other extreme I am finding the macro from 3mtrs very handy...….

Den
Old Friday 19th October 2018, 23:12   #71
etudiant
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Almost the first thing I do is to scan the area in front of me when in a hide, zooming in and out to "see what's about" Over 200mtrs or so it is not as good as my ED80, but does the job.

Got a nice shot of Mars last evening and at the other extreme I am finding the macro from 3mtrs very handy....

Den
Thank you, that is helpful input.
I'm considering using the P1000 as a scope substitute, because birding travel freighted with camera, scope and tripod, plus binoculars gets to be clumsy.

Old Friday 19th October 2018, 23:32   #72
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I have never used a camera to replace a scope in the sense of counting shorebirds on a mudflat or something like that. But my travel the last couple of years have essentially been without scope because if I have a bird I cannot id based on binocular view, then I can usually shoot a few images and either id by zooming in on the camera or later when the images have been transferred to a PC. This has worked even with a camera that has 600-800mm equivalent (m4/3).

Niels

Temporarily living in Tennessee

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 08:54   #73
poledark

More versatilty

A couple more shots from yesterday. Woody from 22mtrs, almost completely hidden behind a screen of various flowers and branches, all at various distances. Not a chance of the camera picking it out at that distance. Only got a very short time to try to grab a shot.....

Switch to manual....rotate focus ring....bingo! Wait a moment while the Woody runs up the tree in to view and click..gotcher :)

Mars was a doddle compared to that.

Woody hand held 1400mm F5.6
Mars1 2000mm F6.3
mars 3000mm F8

Den
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Owlpoo1Woody 1.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	525.9 KB
ID:	677853  Click image for larger version

Name:	Owlpoo1Mars1.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	677854  Click image for larger version

Name:	Owlpoo1DSCN2640.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	677855  
Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 13:40   #74
Martin Smyth
For a minute there I lost myself

I actually saw one yesterday at the Catbird Twitch, absolute colossus next to my P900, but chap says stills taken from 4K video are superb.
Old Sunday 21st October 2018, 14:59   #75
poledark

Martin, not only bigger but much improved in many ways. Larger diameter front lens lets in more light so can take pics at 2000 F5.6 instead of F8. Manual focus is much easier "to navigate", click the button and turn the ring on the lens to set peaking (or not if you want) I have several times mentioned the EVF....brilliant upgrade.

Macro down to almost touching the lens or zoom out to subject and then macro setting, going to have a lot of fun with that, bugs and bees and flowers..and of course the other extreme for moon shots.

Not tried it for BIF yet, all I have around here are gulls, rooks and Jackdaws, although I missed the chance of a Heron gliding past in the field behind my house, but I did get some stills about 180yds away.

I think that my biggest problem with BIF will be that I tend to zoom out quite a lot :) perhaps I should come back to about 4 or 500mm.

I loved my 900, but the 1000 is in a different ball park.

Den
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: