• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSP HD Binocular Case (2 Viewers)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
My partner still really likes her RSPB 8x42 HD binoculars but one thing about them which she criticises is the case. It is a fabric item with a flap which folds over at the top and is held in place by a rather stiff press stud. However the 'sides' are elasticated and are open at the top and bottom. This seems rather a cheapskate solution for top of the range binoculars. She always removes the captive objective lens caps before use, so that they don't fall off and get lost, and the obvious place to store them is inside the case. Unfortunately they often fall out of the sides and we have to hunt around in the car boot to find them.

I was looking at the RSPB website this morning and it seems that the HD now comes with an embossed leather case and what appears to be a soft drawstring pouch as well. This looks much better than the cobbled up item previously supplied. Has anybody bought HD bins recently and can they confirm what the case is like now?

As an aside, I was trying to find the dedicated RSPB optics site today but couldn't find it. I was interested to see if they would be stocking the new Swarovski CL bins. Does anybody know if the site still exists?

Ron

Last edited:
I was looking at the RSPB website this morning and it seems that the HD now comes with an embossed leather case and what appears to be a soft drawstring pouch as well. This looks much better than the cobbled up item previously supplied. Has anybody bought HD bins recently and can they confirm what the case is like now?

Ron

I know this is an old question but I thought I'd answer it in case anyone is wondering or thinking of buying.

Recently bought the 8x50 HD and they do indeed come with a soft drawstring bag and a leather "case". I put the word case in inverted commas as it is very thin and I'm not convinced it would actually provide much protection.

I'm more than happy with the bins but the case is a bit disappointing.

I tend to agree with Bill Oddie on the subject of cases for bins. They should be big enough to take a couple of sarnies, a chocolate bar and an apple. The bins should be round your neck.
Seriously though - too often decent bins are supplied with cases that are not fit for purpose. I'll give Opticron their due the case they supply with their Aurora bins is very good indeed, it's nice tough leather case with a magnetic catch on the flap and big enough for my sarnies;)

I didn't expect to see this thread revived after so long!

Since I started it my partner has stopped using the case which was supplied with the binoculars. She bought a cheap, small, lightly padded Wynnster shoulder bag from a local camping shop. It is just the right size for the bins and they stay inside it in the car boot until we reach our destination. The bins then go round her neck and the bag will hold her purse, a compact camera, a bottle of water and various the other bits and pieces which 'ladies' like to have about their person on a day out. ;) It is much more useful than the daft case which was supplied with the bins.

Ron

I didn't expect to see this thread revived after so long!

Since I started it my partner has stopped using the case which was supplied with the binoculars. She bought a cheap, small, lightly padded Wynnster shoulder bag from a local camping shop. It is just the right size for the bins and they stay inside it in the car boot until we reach our destination. The bins then go round her neck and the bag will hold her purse, a compact camera, a bottle of water and various the other bits and pieces which 'ladies' like to have about their person on a day out. ;) It is much more useful than the daft case which was supplied with the bins.

Ron

Hi Ron

I have to fess up that the current two sets of binoculars we have are Vikings by the RSPB - and we had them for years.

One thing we have never bought in a case to protect the binoculars. hmmm!!!

If I have a complaint, I would say I find the binocular eye cups a pain, as they never remain on the lens end of the binoculars. I think that is due to bad design more than anything.

When out and about - if it rains OH, and I hide our binoculars in our rain jackets to keep the wet of the all important optics and that is how it is for us.

We have never thought of a leather case at all - funnily enough - but we do have a good case for our Canon Powershot camera instead. :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

RSPB don't provide objective lens caps for their BG PC bins at £359 a pop - what's that about?

I know for a fact the newer pair of binoculars I have had had lens caps already on them (already bought).

My OH's - he bought lens caps seperately. His bins are older than mine - and both our pairs are not cheap pairs.

Regards
Kathy
x

My Leica Trinovids never had lens caps and neither did my Minox HGs. I don't miss them though as I would probably remove them when the bins are in use anyway.

Lynn always removes hers and puts them in the case before we go for our walk. Unfortunately they often fall out through the gaps in the bottom of the case, which is why I started this thread in the first place. ;) :-O

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back