• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rollers in Uganda (1 Viewer)

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Hi all,

Sounds like rollers are not the most complicated stuff, but sorting a bunch of oldish photos, I have some little doubts on 3 of them

1. Northern Uganda, where Abyssinian is Common. Not sure how to exclude European Roller on the photo though. February 2015.

2, 3 : 2 different individuals, Southern Uganda, November 2014. Lilac-breasted Roller is breeding there, but European is also common.

Thanks for advice !

Attachments

• Coracias_ug_bf1.JPG
    Coracias_ug_bf1.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 86
  • Coracias_ug_bf2.JPG
    Coracias_ug_bf2.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Coracias_ug_bf3.JPG
    Coracias_ug_bf3.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 62
Hi Valéry, I'm in no doubt that you've much more experience of Rollers than I do, but the first bird looks a better fit for Abyssinian to my eye, given the amount of white on the face (particularly as it appears to extend onto the fore-crown), secondly, the primaries have a slightly blueish tint to them, which I understand would favour Abyssinian over European.
Not sure I can offer any commentary on the 2nd or 3rd birds, other than to say that they both appear rather short tailed.
Hope my limited experience and input is of some use, and that somebody will be able to offer a more definitive diagnosis.

Hi Valéry, I'm in no doubt that you've much more experience of Rollers than I do, but the first bird looks a better fit for Abyssinian to my eye, given the amount of white on the face (particularly as it appears to extend onto the fore-crown), secondly, the primaries have a slightly blueish tint to them, which I understand would favour Abyssinian over European.
Not sure I can offer any commentary on the 2nd or 3rd birds, other than to say that they both appear rather short tailed.
Hope my limited experience and input is of some use, and that somebody will be able to offer a more definitive diagnosis.

Thanks for answering. I don't see blue tinge in the primaries, but if you see it, this confirms the photo was in the right file. PP is shorter in Abyssinian, which matches too, but I see worn or broken primaries, hence my doubt.

The 2 others are juveniles, no tail streamers in any species.

Cheers !

No other takers ?

I would agree with Abyssinian for 1 - although all of the real definitive features cannot be seen in this photo, but the overall slimness of the bird looks right as well.

Again the photos 2 & 3 dont really show the key features for the differences - back colour, PP etc. They both look bulky with a short tail. In addition there appears to be blue coming through in the chest and ear covert areas. This points to European rather than Lilac-breasted.

I would agree with Abyssinian for 1 - although all of the real definitive features cannot be seen in this photo, but the overall slimness of the bird looks right as well.

Again the photos 2 & 3 dont really show the key features for the differences - back colour, PP etc. They both look bulky with a short tail. In addition there appears to be blue coming through in the chest and ear covert areas. This points to European rather than Lilac-breasted.

I think you are right, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back