• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

Thank you for the welcome Halftwo.
Waiting for Dad (Jabberwocky) to chime in with his January list. His garden list back in the UK is longer than my year list thus far this year! At least the snow here is pretty, if not great for bird-watching!

14. American Crow (flyover).

Down at the parents in France for 2 weeks, so, although I haven't done any active garden birding yet, realised that a garden list is already building up again this year.

In no particular order of occurrence -

1 Cirl Bunting (heard only)
2 Wren
3 Blackbird
4 Robin
5 Great Tit
6 Blue Tit
7 Serin
8 Chaffinch
9 Green Woodpecker (heard only)
10 Great Spotted Woodpecker (heard only)
11 Carrion Crow
12 Sparrowhawk
13 Common Buzzard
14 Collared Dove
15 House Sparrow
16 Long-tailed Tit

Having started 'the list' might suddenly find myself trying to add to it, although I am meant to be busy doing stuff around the house (and garden).

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome Halftwo.
Waiting for Dad (Jabberwocky) to chime in with his January list. His garden list back in the UK is longer than my year list thus far this year! At least the snow here is pretty, if not great for bird-watching!

14. American Crow (flyover).

Here it is then
Jan 1st
1 to 18
Great tit, goldfinch, house sparrow, tree sparrow, pheasant, blue tit, chaffinch, great spotted woodpecker, greenfinch, rook, nuthatch, robin, coal tit, blackbird, woodpigeon, stock dove, dunnock and wren.
Jan 2nd
19 long-tailed tit, 20 moorhen and 21 starling.
Jan 5th
22 Green woodpecker-- in the next field but upgraded to in garden on 24th.
23 jay
24 Lapwing- flock of 30 over, not recorded last year.
Jan 6th
25 Marsh tit and 26 collared dove.
Jan 7th
27 Sparrowhawk and 28 goldcrest. Already more than half last years total.
Jan 12th
29 Common buzzard flyover.
Jan 13th
30 Mute swan another flyover and not seen here for years.
Jan 14th
31 Fieldfare
Jan 17th
32 Kestrel--hovering over field to North of garden.
33 Barn owl- hunting over field to the south.
Jan 19th
34 Lesser redpoll
35 Song thrush
36 Black-headed gulls - flyovers
37 Bullfinch
Jan 23rd
38 Siskin
39 Yellowhammer-only a flyover, in a normal winter 20+ are under the feeders.
Jan 25th
Standing outside in the dark trying to hear tawny owl, normally guaranteed here but still not heard one. I did get
40 Little owl.
Jan 28th
41 Herring gull-flyover

One month gone and 12 needed to equal last years total, Maybe not too many more posts to make, and more no long ones at least!

Mammals so far, Rabbit, residents, they live under every shrub and logpile they can find, Grey squirrels always present and Muntjac, at least 3 visiting, feeding on windfall apples. Moles are present but not seen one yet, just evidence. Not in the garden but the next but one field a roe deer's head was visible today in a crop of fodder radish. Strange not to have seen mice or voles under the feeders yet this year.

Best wishes to everyone
Lewis (Dad)

Welcome, Jaberwocky. I have a feeling that anyone who has Muntjac & Roe Deer in their garden is going to have an impressive bird list.

Gales here today - & I'm not going to be home again most of the day.

Ack, you only need 14 more to match my last year total too!

Mammal wise we had 5 white-tailed deer pass through this morning (i'd only seen hoofprints in the snow far), first Eastern chipmunkof the year too (very early, we're having a heat-wave at 2C).
Eastern Grey, Red and Northern flying squirrels all active.
Raccoons and fox only footprints so far.

Having started 'the list' might suddenly find myself trying to add to it, although I am meant to be busy doing stuff around the house (and garden).

Forgot one I'd mentioned already;

17. Hawfinch

Out cutting the hedges today -

18 Coal Tit
19 Kestrel
20 Feral Pigeon
21 Woodpigeon
22 Starling 6 flying around before dusk
23 Jay

Dan - Hawfinches nibbling buds does not constitute hedge cutting.

On the spring front: almond and black thorn blossom out round here, hawthorn and honeysuckle leaves out, and bluebells growing large in the woods.
And I'm up north!

You've mis-read - it's the Coal Tit et al. that were cutting the hedge ;)

You should have seen the way it handled the clippers. The Starlings were pretty efficient tidying up too, but the Jay was useless - acted like it was in charge and so didn't do any actual work at all.

Welcome you all new garden listers.
- And there you go... overtaking me already! But this is not competition... (I keep on saying to myself). |^|

Last weekend in Finland we have this "Big garden watch". The purpose is to write down of bird species and number of individuals what you see during one hour. I made this in my garden at Sunday 9 - 10 am. And the result was: 5 species (Great Tit - 6, Blue Tit - 1, Hooded Crow - 3, Magpie - 2 and Great Spotted Woodpecker - 1). Really sad... :-C So nothing new to my Garden year list.
But after that I took part in local bird association event in the city park, where is held the feeding of birds. Much better result: 16 species and over hundred individuals during one hour, 11 - 12 am. And 3 year ticks for me.
The only worse thing was that there were only few audience. The park trails are at the moment than the ice skating rink (the hilly one) and therefore probably scared of the public to stay away.

Didn't have one last year, however a most gratefully received flyover Blue Chip this am......Snipe! No.48.

They! Multiple misreading of a simple post ...a bunch of nifty French birds hacking a hedge, end of :t:

I never get any French birds offering to help me cut our hedge each autumn, they seem to prefer pecking chunks out of our window frames.
As for Ken's Common Snipe, grrrr - mind you, all the snow has gone from around the house and neighbouring fields, meaning I can see the boggy patch where I found last year's Jack Snipe, perhaps it's time to get out my I-spy Book of Waders ;)

Didn't have one last year, however a most gratefully received flyover Blue Chip this am......Snipe! No.48.

That's a once in a year bird for me too, Ken.

You're closing the gap. The weather's not helping - yesterday I was out (birding!) & it was 14c. Today I'm at home for once and it's 5c with occasional hail. Not blowing quite the gale now.
But nowt new to report here.

They! Multiple misreading of a simple post ...a bunch of nifty French birds hacking a hedge, end of :t:

No, No, No! How can one simple posting lead to so much confusion?

Only the Coal Tit had the clippers, the others were involved in various other ways (did I mention the Woodpigeons were using the electric hedgetrimmer? ... not always a good combination tbh ) ...

Welcome you all new garden listers.

Yes welcome to the thread ... doing our best to put you off though?! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back