• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best hotels in the world with quality birding in the grounds or immediately adjacent (1 Viewer)

Sheraton at Iguazu, Argentina immediately comes to mind.

But many South African or East African luxury safari lodges would be better. Mind the advice that birding in the open country is more pleasant than in the rainforest.

Myself I only hope I live to retirement and I am still healthy enough to go driving and camping not limited by time - maybe a year tour around Australia.

I did think about a self-drive around Kruger as I would love to see Leopard.
Great for birding too.

Sri Lanka's Yala NP is the place for Leopard. Might end up being a bit of a bunfight jockeying for position but the chances of seeing one are very high.
The birding in SR is excellent too.
Not only that there are whale and dolphin trips to be had, historical/cultural sites of interest, a wide range of accommodation to suit all budgets, good food, cheap travel by train and taxi. Oh, and no malaria either!
I have been three times and I hope to go back before long too. My blog site has some trip reports to give a flavour of the place if you want more info.

Self drive to Namibia was very doable and can be done reasonably inexpensively as another alternative.

Yorouchi Onsen in Hokkaido...luxury onsen overlooking stream best visited in winter with snow on the ground - bird feeders outside lounge window including a small pool with live fish for the star attraction, Blakiston's fish-owl.
Other close-up attractions include Ural owl; brown dipper; Japanese pygmy woodpecker; brown-eared bulbul; local subspecies of willow & marsh tit, nuthatch, GSW and jay; hawfinch; and (a short distance away) solitary snipe.
Get a room with open balcony and private tub overlooking the stream, where you can observe without glass getting in the way - as mentioned in other threads, not the best choice for photographers, but great for non / less enthusiastic birding spouses, especially if they like dressing up in kimonos and spending time in hot tubs.

Cao Coco Islands, Cuba. Most of the hotels have large grounds with a good birding potential. Cao Coco has its own Airport with U/K connections. Look out for birding tours,the guy i went with was a dead ringer for Bill Oddie. But knew his stuff,and area. Went to find a Cuban Tody,got three in five mins. I will try to find some info.on the birding guide.

I would suggest King's Island, Luxor, Egypt, formerly known as Crocodile Island.

I went in 2011 and saw Nile-valley Sunbird, Senegal Thick-Knee, Green Bee-Eater, Striated Heron, African Swamphen and Yellow-billed Kite amongst others on the island.

It was undergoing a major redevelopment when i was there and i suspect may not be the place it once was, but a 2017 trip report on Cloudbirders shows the above species still present, and watching Pied Kingfishers from the sun lounger with the sun setting over the Nile is pretty good

Graham

And you may need to remortgage your house......;)

Looking at some of the suggestions on here you may also need to sell your children into slavery and donate a couple of your vital organs. :eek!:

A trip of a lifetime that would take me at least two lifetimes to save up for.

PS to those that can afford it I am not at all bitter.......... Simply insanely jealous

I'm recently back from yet another trip to The Gambia. 2 week package with Thomas Cook B&B for 2 people = £1056= very affordable!
Local birding is excellent, particularly if you have never been to this part of the world. You can hire a guide if you want to venture further afield. Should net 100 species without leaving the local area, 200+ with a couple of trips is easy to get.
For more info I have just completed my blog.
https://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-gambia-2019-part-1.html

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back