• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended guides/drivers N Goa (Arpora)? (1 Viewer)

Nelbert

Lincolnshire - Migrants R Us
Can anyone recommend a good guide/taxi driver in Goa?

We're off out there for three weeks birding at the end of November and this is about the last thing to sort (fingers crossed for the visa) and any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Neil

Taxi drivers who know the sites can be found for sure outside the Beira Mar hotel on Baga strip. Other drivers purport to know the sites but I've not put them to the test.

Drivers worth seeking out at the Beira Mar are;

Chand (or Chandra) - a quiet and unassuming (but good company) chap who knows the sites well and is a fairly competent birder.

Josh (or Jasaya) - a really nice guy who used to accompany bird tours but following an operation to a leg, now finds it hard to walk any great distance. He still knows the sites and is happy to do just as requested but will suggest alternatives if he thinks it is to your advantage. Drives an air-conditioned automatic - a serious contender!

Lloyd Fernandez - Lloyd makes a living leading birders around Goa and is a highly competent birder and thoroughly good chap. I didnt employ his services but came across him in the field several times and found myself on the same boat as him while birding the Zuari river. He's definitely an asset but it struck me that he charged rather too much. Comes replete with army truck and picnics.

Bruno - had some bad press ol' Bruno. Knows where the sites are and will leave you to get on with it once in situ. He's a surly so and so and bullies other drivers. Once you've hired him he seems to think you're his property and his alone and expects to be used by you every day. I'd avoid him.

Things may have changed (but I bet they have n't) - so I'd say spend your first evening drinking and birding from the poolside of the Beira Mar and you'll soon get the "gen" on many things, drivers included.

I should be there 23rd Nov to the 30th so you can come and blame me personally in the Spice restaurant, Arpora if things have gone pear-shaped!

Taxi drivers who know the sites can be found for sure outside the Beira Mar hotel on Baga strip. Other drivers purport to know the sites but I've not put them to the test.

Drivers worth seeking out at the Beira Mar are;

Chand (or Chandra) - a quiet and unassuming (but good company) chap who knows the sites well and is a fairly competent birder.

Josh (or Jasaya) - a really nice guy who used to accompany bird tours but following an operation to a leg, now finds it hard to walk any great distance. He still knows the sites and is happy to do just as requested but will suggest alternatives if he thinks it is to your advantage. Drives an air-conditioned automatic - a serious contender!

Lloyd Fernandez - Lloyd makes a living leading birders around Goa and is a highly competent birder and thoroughly good chap. I didnt employ his services but came across him in the field several times and found myself on the same boat as him while birding the Zuari river. He's definitely an asset but it struck me that he charged rather too much. Comes replete with army truck and picnics.

Bruno - had some bad press ol' Bruno. Knows where the sites are and will leave you to get on with it once in situ. He's a surly so and so and bullies other drivers. Once you've hired him he seems to think you're his property and his alone and expects to be used by you every day. I'd avoid him.

Things may have changed (but I bet they have n't) - so I'd say spend your first evening drinking and birding from the poolside of the Beira Mar and you'll soon get the "gen" on many things, drivers included.

I should be there 23rd Nov to the 30th so you can come and blame me personally in the Spice restaurant, Arpora if things have gone pear-shaped!

That's extremely helpful Birdbox, thank you. We're staying in the Marina Dourada in Arpora from the 27th, so if you see four blokes sitting about drinking beer, introduce yourself and the first one's on me!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back