• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (1 Viewer)

Blimey John, you're back!! Was only talking about you the other day, finding the Derbyshire Burnts on account of a photographer kneeling over something on the distant hillside!

Hi Sean, Thought it was about time I showed my face here again!! Yep! That was a good day in Derbyshire, a combination of matching the background on an online photo of a Derbyshire burnt with the aerial view on google earth, then heading out to see if it worked in the field. The first thing I spotted was a man in the far distance with a tripod photographing something on the ground; I shot up that hill in no time... & there they were! Cheers, John

Bog Orchid Dorset/New Forest RFI

I hope this is ok to ask on here, but I’m in Dorset for a couple of days at the end of the month and I’ve never seen Bog Orchid. Assuming they will still be in flower when I go (maybe not?), does anyone have any reliable sites with detailed directions as to where to find them. If not in Dorset then maybe the New Forest so I could try on the way to/from Dorset? Please PM me any details. Thanks, Toby

North:South divide

Hoping to get up to the North-East next weekend. Would anyone please be able to supply information on Tyne and Young's Helleborine?

Just got back..."Youngs" BLH still have a way to go, they won't be out this w/end. "Tyne" DH in fine fettle, attached pic from yesterday is of two stems 62 cm tall! (Dinky E. sancta at the other extreme...)

Ladle Hill on Saturday: Burnt's good, pyramidal starting to go over, chalk fragrant & CSO on their very last legs...but...

Bishop Middleham today, CSO, Bee(!), common twayblade all looking very good; (marsh) fragrants in bud or just coming out.

ian

p.s. anyone checked the Norfolk CLT recently?

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 97
  • junk2.jpg
    junk2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Re helleborines, a northern England update...

The first 'youngiana' were coming into flower last Saturday in the north-east, though most still in bud.
'tynensis' further ahead, but still many in bud too.

Lindisfarne Helleborines were looking good, but already getting a little frazzled in the sun.
Marsh Helleborines in their prime in north-east; a little more frazzled on the north-west coast.
Dark-red Helleborines in north-east looking really good; heading west, x.schmalhausenii also, though on the whole they're further ahead than the pure E.rubra in the east.
Dune Helleborines (woodland and open dune) both in full flower on north-west coast, but those in the open going over quickly in the sun
Green-flowered Helleborines were fairly hard to come by on north-west coast - again, those in the open suffering in the sun but those in more shade still in good condition

Gradually working through some of my images - posting one or two as I go on Twitter if anyone's interested @dunnjons

Cheers,

J

Hi Sean, Thought it was about time I showed my face here again!! Yep! That was a good day in Derbyshire, a combination of matching the background on an online photo of a Derbyshire burnt with the aerial view on google earth, then heading out to see if it worked in the field. The first thing I spotted was a man in the far distance with a tripod photographing something on the ground; I shot up that hill in no time... & there they were! Cheers, John

Yes, that was me if you remember!

p.s. anyone checked the Norfolk CLT recently?

I checked some of them last night. 25 in 2 groups roped off. Still got a week (?) to go. Bottom flowers open but no more.

re Young's, didn't I see Jon Dunn tweet a photo of an open flower?

I checked some of them last night. 25 in 2 groups roped off. Still got a week (?) to go. Bottom flowers open but no more.

You did indeed! As per my post earlier this morning... I'd have added the photo here too but either Birdforum or my local IT imps aren't allowing me to.

Unless some disaster (like a lawnmower or strimmer, as they were right at the edge of a mowed area) has befallen those three flowering plants from Saturday they'd be a fair bit further down the line by today. They were in the sunniest part of the site in question, to be fair, and others were still a piece behind them re flowering time.

J

Last edited:
Yes, that was me if you remember!

I remember very well, it was amazing how many more species I found shortly after that day!! Thank you very much for all the spot on info!!

Could have done with meeting you up a hill in Derbyshire again today! I did a similar thing to the Burnts with the Dark Reds, worked out where I thought they might grow, then went to look, I succeeded, but it took me over 2 hours to find a flowering plant, in total I found only about 6 plants, but I stuck to looking from the path as the habitat is very fragile. Cheers, John

Derbyshire Dark Red Helleborines

There were very few plants at the site I visited today, this was the only flowering plant that I found, the others were either nibbled off or immature. The habitat is very fragile & for anyone just wanting to see the species I would suggest heading further north into Lancashire or County Durham where the plants are far more prolific & put on a much more spectacular display.

Attachments

• drh.jpg
    drh.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 84
...County Durham where the plants are far more prolific & put on a much more spectacular display.

Yep, Durham plants looking good, less rabbit ravaging than last year. And another (non-Wiltshire!) burnt group

ian

Attachments

• junk3.jpg
    junk3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 87
  • D7K_1081_1108szp.jpg
    D7K_1081_1108szp.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 97

There is a report on the UK Native Orchids group on FB of 500+ spikes found this weekend. :eek!::eek!:

There were very few plants at the site I visited today, this was the only flowering plant that I found, the others were either nibbled off or immature. The habitat is very fragile & for anyone just wanting to see the species I would suggest heading further north into Lancashire or County Durham where the plants are far more prolific & put on a much more spectacular display.

Well said John.

Not sure which of the hillsides you went to but the main one had a plant right by the footpath a few days ago, and about 20 plants total.

Finally got round to editing my photo's of the Warwickshire Helleborines, taken on 12th July.

Went back this Tuesday and the heat has ruined most of the flowers on the plants that haven't been nibbled off.

Most or al of the plants at the site are cross-pollinated, but they do look a lot like Dune Helleborine. But even more like the "youngiana" plants at Kenfig

Attachments

• epipactis-warks1-12jul16.jpg
    epipactis-warks1-12jul16.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 73
  • epipactis-warks2-12jul16.jpg
    epipactis-warks2-12jul16.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 80
  • epipactis-warks3-12jul16.jpg
    epipactis-warks3-12jul16.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 69
  • epipactis-warks4-12jul16.jpg
    epipactis-warks4-12jul16.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 81
  • epipactis-warks5-12jul16.jpg
    epipactis-warks5-12jul16.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 94
Mission successful

Re Ladle Hill, I've not had a chance to get up there yet this year (just back from Iceland where we found all 5 native orchids - including Lesser Twayblades almost on the roadside).

I did a pretty thorough search for BTOs on Ladle Hill in 14 July 2015 after the apparent disaster of 2014 and found 88 plants

I also found a 4 minute Frogs on the NW slope.

How are the numbers for BTOs looking this year?

Simon

Last edited:
Hi Simon

We wouldn't normally post such detailed locations on a public group. More general is best.

FYI everyone else, I am not opening up the site disclosure discussion, please let's not start that one.

Thanks Steve,

I think it calls for a trip up the hill to see if I can refind my last years BTOs as well as yours which seem to be in a largely new area. There's usually some on the rampart banks at the SW corner of the fort. Maybe this afternoon if it's not too hot...

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back