• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MRS Blackcap now! (1 Viewer)

Renee Redstart

Just got in and, as always, sat at the window while sorting my stuff out. Can never resist peering out while I'm there, and lo and behold saw someone new on the fat feeder. Bins out, and there she was; Mrs. Blackcap! Then Mr. Blackcap came to the ground beneath, before going back to his usual spot in the guardian cage. Another minute or two, and I'd have missed her! :bounce:

Last edited:
Renee Redstart said:
Just got in and, as always, sat at the window while sorting my stuff out. Can never resist peering out while I'm there, and lo and behold saw someone new on the fat feeder. Bins out, and there she was; Mrs. Blackcap! Then Mr. Blackcap came to the ground beneath, before going back to his usual spot in the guardian cage. Another minute or too, and I'd have missed her! :bounce:
Hi Renee, Well done! It's always nice to see a pair is'nt it? Who knows, this year a pair, next year???
All the best, Judo.

Renee Redstart said:
Just got in and, as always, sat at the window while sorting my stuff out. Can never resist peering out while I'm there, and lo and behold saw someone new on the fat feeder. Bins out, and there she was; Mrs. Blackcap! Then Mr. Blackcap came to the ground beneath, before going back to his usual spot in the guardian cage. Another minute or two, and I'd have missed her! :bounce:
Hi Renee :hi:
I haven't seen a blackcap at all this year and there you are with a pair :D . Rose T has seen one in her garden, just along the street, so I'm sure they're around but I've yet to see them!

Renee Redstart said:

Hi Renee..

How lucky are you to see A Blackcap for I have never even seen one in the wild let alone in my garden...

Merry Christmas...Silver Lady

Silver Lady said:
Hi Renee..

How lucky are you to see A Blackcap for I have never even seen one in the wild let alone in my garden...

Merry Christmas...Silver Lady

Thanks for that, SL. No-one could have been more amazed than me when the male Blackcap first appeared, let alone the female. He's been several times a day, every day, to the small 'woodland' style patch and eaten the ground feed I put in the guardian cage alongside the other birds. Everyone on the board said to look out for Mrs., but I didn't really expect to see her. Then they ate together on the fat feeder. They're my newcomers of the year, and an extra bonus on Christmas morning. I am lucky!
Best wishes, and bowing out at what appears to be Boxing Day already!
:gn:

Renee Redstart said:
Thanks for that, SL. No-one could have been more amazed than me when the male Blackcap first appeared, let alone the female. He's been several times a day, every day, to the small 'woodland' style patch and eaten the ground feed I put in the guardian cage alongside the other birds. Everyone on the board said to look out for Mrs., but I didn't really expect to see her. Then they ate together on the fat feeder. They're my newcomers of the year, and an extra bonus on Christmas morning. I am lucky!
Best wishes, and bowing out at what appears to be Boxing Day already!
:gn:

Hello Renee...How wonderful to now see both Mr and Mrss Blackcap feeding in your garden...I feel very happy for you and yet quite envious at the same time!!! I have wondered about putting a caged ground feeder out...Do the birds go into it and use it regularly? I have not had much sucess with the tray I bought for my ground feeders and was continually throwing away far more than was ever eaten...Hope you can help advise me what I am doing wrong Renee...

Hope you have enjoyed a lovely Christmas Day...Mine has been peaceful and reflective and we enjoyed a really superb meal in very pleasant surroundings ...The bright sunny weather with blue skies today has turned perisihing cold tonight and seems to be a taste of what is forecast for us next week, more's the pity...

Christmas Day has rolled on into Boxing Day and as it is now my birthday, I shall enjoy a Bailys or two...I hope you will join me...Cheers! Silver x

Silver Lady said:
I have wondered about putting a caged ground feeder out...Do the birds go into it and use it regularly? I have not had much sucess with the tray I bought for my ground feeders and was continually throwing away far more than was ever eaten

Hello Silver Lady

I have had a green guardian cage on the ground for a couple of years now. I only use it during the winter months and usually put a mixed seed and a special robin mix in it. It is used regularly by all the small ground feeders and sometimes finches and tits, when the reed bunting is visiting he also pops in. I put a plastic tray on the top of the cage to keep the feed dry.

Bridie

Silver Lady said:
Hello Renee...How wonderful to now see both Mr and Mrss Blackcap feeding in your garden...I feel very happy for you and yet quite envious at the same time!!! I have wondered about putting a caged ground feeder out...Do the birds go into it and use it regularly? I have not had much sucess with the tray I bought for my ground feeders and was continually throwing away far more than was ever eaten...Hope you can help advise me what I am doing wrong Renee...

Hope you have enjoyed a lovely Christmas Day...Mine has been peaceful and reflective and we enjoyed a really superb meal in very pleasant surroundings ...The bright sunny weather with blue skies today has turned perisihing cold tonight and seems to be a taste of what is forecast for us next week, more's the pity...

Christmas Day has rolled on into Boxing Day and as it is now my birthday, I shall enjoy a Bailys or two...I hope you will join me...Cheers! Silver x
A bit of a belated reply to your post, almost 24 hours in fact!
My birds use the cage guardian all the time, after they had got used to it. I use the sort with a mesh to allow Blackbirds and Thrushes, so I get all sorts in there too. It's placed under the branches of bushes at the foot of a big conifer, where I have created a woodland style environment. (It makes my garden sound huge, but this area is only about 10 sq.yards or so.) I put the guardian there to protect them from any cats which might creep up, and the Sparrowhawk. That area and the cage provided a refuge for moulting Blackbirds, and it's where the Song Thrush first appeared, and where the male Blackcap first appeared. I have a slab of tree trunk as a 'platter' on which I put ground feed. This is a mixture of insectivorous foods and pinhead oatmeal, with sultanas by the side. I hoped this would attract the ground feeding birds, and it has. The Blackbirds are waiting every morning for me to replenish the 'platter' if I'm a bit late, then the Thrush, Robin, Dunnocks and Chaffinches turn up throughout the day, plus Starlings and the Squirrel sometimes.
I can't imagine that you are doing anything wrong. Birds are funny sometimes. so I don't really know what to suggest.
I have only been doing serious bird feeding for about 18 months now, and am constantly amazed and delighted by what turns up in my garden; birds I'd never seen in my entire life, and birds like the Blackcap that I'd never even heard of.
Hope this helps for now, and keep in touch with what happens in your garden.
Good luck Silver, and again it's Goodnight from me!

Hi Renee and wonderful news!

I'm so delighted as it usually follows everytime we see 1 of them, that the other then comes along also!! Keep enough fruit out for them as well as mixed seed and sunflower hearts and you should hopefully keep them for a good while! Thrilled to read your news,

Sue

Renee Redstart said:
A bit of a belated reply to your post, almost 24 hours in fact!
My birds use the cage guardian all the time, after they had got used to it. I use the sort with a mesh to allow Blackbirds and Thrushes, so I get all sorts in there too. It's placed under the branches of bushes at the foot of a big conifer, where I have created a woodland style environment. (It makes my garden sound huge, but this area is only about 10 sq.yards or so.) I put the guardian there to protect them from any cats which might creep up, and the Sparrowhawk. That area and the cage provided a refuge for moulting Blackbirds, and it's where the Song Thrush first appeared, and where the male Blackcap first appeared. I have a slab of tree trunk as a 'platter' on which I put ground feed. This is a mixture of insectivorous foods and pinhead oatmeal, with sultanas by the side. I hoped this would attract the ground feeding birds, and it has. The Blackbirds are waiting every morning for me to replenish the 'platter' if I'm a bit late, then the Thrush, Robin, Dunnocks and Chaffinches turn up throughout the day, plus Starlings and the Squirrel sometimes.
I can't imagine that you are doing anything wrong. Birds are funny sometimes. so I don't really know what to suggest.
I have only been doing serious bird feeding for about 18 months now, and am constantly amazed and delighted by what turns up in my garden; birds I'd never seen in my entire life, and birds like the Blackcap that I'd never even heard of.
Hope this helps for now, and keep in touch with what happens in your garden.
Good luck Silver, and again it's Goodnight from me!

Hi Renee....Greetings from Kent doing a fairly passible imitation of Siberia at the moment....

Thanks so much for your help and for this excellent advice Renee...I will give something similar a go for my very fussy birds and will keep you posted as to how I get on - or not!!

They have just about accepted the offerings I have been leaving under the garden table for them (We have a covering of some 6 inches, so its the only bit of snow free grass)

Regards Silver x

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back