• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mouse ID confirmation if possible NE.London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Does like the niger overspill....House/Wood or field?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1960210.jpeg   Mouse sp..jpeg
    P1960210.jpeg Mouse sp..jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 37
Don't you know Ken, this spelling is now deemed offensive by some so must now be written thusly 'nyjer'........seriously! :t:

...and next week's edition of "Talking B******s" comes from Nyjeria.....

Meanwhile its a Wood Mouse (or just possibly a Yellow-necked, but the eye is so large relative to the face that I think it's smaller than they usually are).

Wood Mouse is also known as "Long-tailed Field Mouse" if your book is old enough! ;)

John

Don't you know Ken, this spelling is now deemed offensive by some so must now be written thusly 'nyjer'........seriously! :t:

Not even on my radar andy, not unlike until “recently” referring to Yellowhammer as Yellow Bunting :t:. Regarding the “deemed offensive word, did the word not refer to the river upon which the unfortunate slaves were transported down, hence the metaphor “sold down the river?”

Cheers

...and next week's edition of "Talking B******s" comes from Nyjeria.....

Meanwhile its a Wood Mouse (or just possibly a Yellow-necked, but the eye is so large relative to the face that I think it's smaller than they usually are).

Wood Mouse is also known as "Long-tailed Field Mouse" if your book is old enough! ;)

John

Cheers John, as I tend to get these fellows more often at night when the security light is on, what should I look for regarding separation from YNM, acronym for Yonigermuncher. :-O

Cheers John, as I tend to get these fellows more often at night when the security light is on, what should I look for regarding separation from YNM, acronym for Yonigermuncher. :-O

Yellow-necks are bigger - really substantial mice, I would think as big as House Mice - with relatively thicker tails (IMHO!) The larger size does result in a smaller eye in relation to head size.

Supposedly the demarcation between top and bottom is sharper and YNM are whiter underneath, but I would be very cautious about that. Equally, the upperpart fur is brighter and almost tinged orange - but bright Woodies occur...

If they happen to stand up, a Woody has a completely pale chest (or sometimes just a yellow-brown streak longitudinally). A Yellow-neck has a broad yellow-brown (almost orange-tinged) band right across the upper breast. Not always easy to see in normal poses but a head-on photo should pick it up most of the time.

Cheers

John

Not even on my radar andy, not unlike until “recently” referring to Yellowhammer as Yellow Bunting :t:. Regarding the “deemed offensive word, did the word not refer to the river upon which the unfortunate slaves were transported down, hence the metaphor “sold down the river?”

Cheers

Didn't know that but seriously, there was thread on it on here.

It was in a section regarding feeders and feeding I think and when I questioned the spelling, the reply I got was that some people deemed 'Niger', too close to another offensive word for their sensibilities to deal with, hence the alteration and despite the fact that it remains the name of a country.

Yellow-necks are bigger - really substantial mice, I would think as big as House Mice - with relatively thicker tails (IMHO!) The larger size does result in a smaller eye in relation to head size.

Supposedly the demarcation between top and bottom is sharper and YNM are whiter underneath, but I would be very cautious about that. Equally, the upperpart fur is brighter and almost tinged orange - but bright Woodies occur...

If they happen to stand up, a Woody has a completely pale chest (or sometimes just a yellow-brown streak longitudinally). A Yellow-neck has a broad yellow-brown (almost orange-tinged) band right across the upper breast. Not always easy to see in normal poses but a head-on photo should pick it up most of the time.

Cheers

John

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply John....If the occasion presents itself, I now have no excuses for a Mickey Mouse ID. :eek!: :t:

Didn't know that but seriously, there was thread on it on here.

It was in a section regarding feeders and feeding I think and when I questioned the spelling, the reply I got was that some people deemed 'Niger', too close to another offensive word for their sensibilities to deal with, hence the alteration and despite the fact that it remains the name of a country.

Cheers andy!...when I was a lad PC meant police constable, and you didn’t have to go far to find one.....:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back