• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small enhancement on schulenbergi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

According to his Ph. D. thesis Evolutionary history of the vangas (Vangidae) of Madagascar his middle name is Thomas Scott Schulenberg. The key may adjusted with this small detail.

Scytalopus schulenbergi Whitney, 1994 described here.

Pheugopedius euophrys schulenbergi Parker & O'Neill, 1985 here.

Theodore A. Parker, III and John P. O'Neill, A New Species and a New Subspecies of Thryothorus Wren from Peru, Ornithological Monographs, No. 36, Neotropical Ornithology (1985), pp. 9-15

Last edited:
Schulenberg's Tapaculo ... and "his" (somewhat debated) Wren

Sure looks like it, well spotted Martin!

Some sort of confirmation below:
Graduate training
[...]
Student Schulenberg, Thomas S.
Year defended 1995.
Thesis title, [...] Evolutionary History of the Vangas (Vangidae) of Madagascar. Ph.D dissertation, Committee on Evolutionary Biology, University of Chicago. 180 pp.
Fieldwork Madagascar
Advisor* LANYON, Chernoff, Heaney
[...]

[from here]
If he was "one of mine" (which he isn't) I would go for Thomas S. Schulenberg = Thomas Scott Schulenberg (as it says in the Library Catalogue [of the University of Chicago], where the PhD Thesis itself apparently is kept), alt. Thomas "Tom" Scott Schulenberg, commemorated in:

• the Diademed Tapaculo Scytalopus schulenbergi WHITNEY 1994 (OD in post #1):
ETYMOLOGY.— I am pleased to name this new tapaculo after my friend and colleague Thomas S. Schulenberg, whose field work and informed insights have, for more than a decade, greatly aided many investigators in pursuit of knowledge of Andean birds. In 1980, he headed the LSUMNS expedition into the remote area of Valcón in Puno, Peru, that brought back a fine series of the new species. Finally, it was Tom who several years ago first encouraged me to delve into the depths of Scytalopus. [p.593]
Probably, most likely (I see no reason what-so-ever to doubt it), also in:
• the hard-to-place species (?), or subspecies, Gray-Browed/Plain-tailed Wren Thryothorus/Pheugopedius (euophrys) schulenbergi PARKER & O'NEILL 1985 (Note: OD, in full, unseen by me), according to Avibase (here), as "Thryothorus euophrys schulenbergi"

The very start of the Paper, where the OD of the latter schulenbergi is to be found (see latter link in post #1, though no access to p.12, where the OD itself ought to be), does mention "Shulenberg and Williams 1982", which I assume is this Paper (here), by "Thomas S. Schulenberg" (and Morris D. Williams).

Surely the Wren ought to be "his" as well ... !?

Cheers!

/B
--

Last edited:
Thanks Laurent! I (also) got stuck on the JStor/Sora Dead end, but didn't manage to find "their own" (big) complete volume (well done!) ... however, apparently, there it was/is:
Etymology.—It is our pleasure to name this well marked subspecies in honor of Thomas S. Schulenberg, whose efforts on the Cordillera Colán expedition, as well as in the overall program of research at LSU, have produced a tremendous amount of information on Peruvian birds.

Thereby all/any doubts ... gone with the wind; "Tom" it is.

Schulenberg and schulenbergi ... over and out!

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back