• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tawny Owl call (1 Viewer)

Britseye

Was camping out in Devon two nights ago and at dusk a Tawny Owl landed in a pine directly above my tent and started calling softly for five minutes.

No word of a lie, it was going: too-woo too-wit:eek!:

Cheers, Dave. I can reverse that and say your link is very interesting to me. I didn't realise there was documented evidence of the too-wit too-woo call. Until two minutes ago, I was in the Shakespeare got it wrong camp. I once vaguely thought I imagined it somewhere out there in the dark of night, but laughed it off at the time. Did you see the thread about the Tawny Owl's Tengmalm's-like call, I think earlier this year? I heard that same call for only the second time a few months back. The local ones that I've lived with on and off for eleven years now were making some weird squeaky calls at midnight last night that I didn't actually match to Tawny Owl until they properly got going.

Always learning :t:

Cheers, Dave. I can reverse that and say your link is very interesting to me. I didn't realise there was documented evidence of the too-wit too-woo call. Until two minutes ago, I was in the Shakespeare got it wrong camp. I once vaguely thought I imagined it somewhere out there in the dark of night, but laughed it off at the time. Did you see the thread about the Tawny Owl's Tengmalm's-like call, I think earlier this year? I heard that same call for only the second time a few months back. The local ones that I've lived with on and off for eleven years now were making some weird squeaky calls at midnight last night that I didn't actually match to Tawny Owl until they properly got going.

Always learning :t:

Likewise here, the past couple of weeks I’ve been hearing them doing odd calls, is it likely to be this year’s young starting to find their voices do you think?

Likewise here, the past couple of weeks I’ve been hearing them doing odd calls, is it likely to be this year’s young starting to find their voices do you think?

It would make sense, but unlike the previous two summers when youngsters have been EXTREMELY vocal around the garden, I haven't heard any juvenile calls at all. So I'm not sure I can attribute last night's somewhat unearthly calls to this year's young? I've no doubt BWP will have some very detailed info - in fact, it does, I know, cos I've looked before - but I'm just skimming at the moment and don't have time to follow up.

last night's somewhat unearthly calls

One of them has just been doing it again. This time I got a much clearer handle on the call and I would describe it as sounding like one of those grating Red-wattled Lapwing calls that make you want to cut off your ears! This type of sound for a minute and then morphing into a strangled ke-wick, followed by a soft hoot. I know this is the time of year the adults kick the young off the territory and tell them to go get a life, I've heard it happen many times. But this call is still relatively new to me. Not like the usual youngster calls at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back