• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (5 Viewers)

Hi juniorbirder
Sounds like you are having a great time and thanks for posting.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit and do let us know what you see.
All the best, Mike

Long-tailed tits are no longer a rarity.
There are small populations here and there.
There are some by the torrent near Santa Ponça, a few at Capdella and also at Parc Bit. I’m sure there are other sites as well.
I had one wintering in my garden the first year I was here, my dad pointed it out to me but I didn’t know anything about it’s status at that time so I thought it was normal.
All reports are important though so if anyone else sees any, please let us know.
Mike

Got back last night and went straight to Cap de Ses Salines this morning.
On the way I saw two Spotless Starlings at Botanicus. I have seen up to six of them throughout the summer so I hope they bred.
At the Cap the Italian sparrow was there to greet me.
Raptor passage was steady with Honey Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Common Kestrel, Hobby and a Harrier which is still being debated. My money is on a juvenile Montagu’s Harrier but we will see.
As I left I saw a group of about 80 Ravens with three Booted eagles and six Kestrels in with them, quite a sight as they were all interacting with each other, plunging and bombing each other, great stuff.
Also yet another tiger butterfly and a very large species flying low over the scrub which appeared black but my guess would be two-tailed pasha?
Mike

Long-tailed tits are no longer a rarity.
There are small populations here and there.
There are some by the torrent near Santa Ponça, a few at Capdella and also at Parc Bit. I’m sure there are other sites as well.
I had one wintering in my garden the first year I was here, my dad pointed it out to me but I didn’t know anything about it’s status at that time so I thought it was normal.
All reports are important though so if anyone else sees any, please let us know.
Mike

Hello!
Long-tailed Tit is an enigmatic bird here in Mallorca. Only present in our Island and at the north-west of the Tramuntana Mountains:Andratx, Calvià, Palma, Banyalbufar, Esporles. It seems there have been some sightings in Eivissa too, but I don't know if it was a long time ago.
The sightings of this birds here in Mallorca are increasing every year, perhaps because there are more birders around or because is increasing its population. Difficult to say.
So any sighting and specially outside of its "typical" distribution range is very interesting. One in the South is extraordinary :)

Regards,
Cristina.

Last edited:
Spent a couple of hours at a busy Boquer Valley this morning. Still 5 eleanoras falcons showing well towards the sea end of the Valley. A wryneck was seen just below the main track on the quieter path a little lower down. Several blue rock thrush and after a bit of a wait two separate sightings of Balearic warbler. I’ve been on the island three and a half weeks now and still haven’t seen a shrike, quite unlike my visit same time last year.

Thanks everyone for the posts, all very helpful and interesting.
The population of Long-tailed tits has been at Santa Ponça for many years now.
A great morning at the Cap with a bit of everything, I will post totals later.
All left the Island very high though and I now have a stiff neck.
A total of five Tiger butterflies was seen, must be a record?
Mike

As far as I can make out from the mobile messages, the totals for today were:
23 Marsh Harrier
11 migrant Common Kestrel
4 Hobby
7 Honey Buzzard
12 Booted Eagle
1 Montagu’s Harrier
3 or 4 Osprey
3 Black Kite.
Mike

Mortitx,
The Bonellis Eagle showing well for the past 2 days, also Blue Rock Thrushs 4, The usual Vultures, Blackcaps, Song Thrush, Robin.
Albufereta,
Firecrest, Pied fly, Redstart, Black Necked Grebe
Depuadora, Only thing new is a Turnstone.
Steve.

Last edited:
Apologies for the photo of the Griffon Vulture and not a Bonelli's Eagle. Thank you to Steve for pointing this out and to Vincent and I assume Christina at La Gola also.

Thanks all for the information about Long-tailed Tits, how fascinating! They’ve been around all day today again. We also had beautiful views of a Nightjar again this evening at Es Capdella, and two Black Kites overhead.

Another great morning at the Cap with many locals and visitors including two charming guests from the United States. It was fun to be a part of it, sharing information, beer and food and hearing about birding hot-spots to visit around the world.
What a great bunch of people to be with. It’s not just about the birds.
Many Booted eagles, Hobby, Honey Buzzard, Marsh Harrier, Common Kestrel and the same Short-toed Eagle which has been flying back and forth from Cabrera for the last five days.
Again though, the stars were the Tiger butterflies. We were obviously birding but 15 were counted in three hours. There must have been many more which we missed.
A major influx must have occurred.
A party of birders are staying on Cabrera so I hope to post details of their highlights when I get further information.
Mike

Last edited:
Last day before flying home in the morning,
Sillot,
Wood, Green, Common Sands, Snipe, Greenshank, and the common waders.
Salbufera,
Little Stints 2, wood, Green, Common Sands again, Greenshanks 5, Spotted Redshank 8, Dunlin 6, Snipe 3, Garganey 2, Pochard 4, Lapwing 3, Moustashed Warblers 2, and surprisingly a Great Reed Warbler singing.
Steve.

Another extraordinary day at the Cap.
I don’t know what to make of it really, it seems to be different every year but this year has been disappointing for waders and passerines but a number of records for raptor movement have been broken, namely the passage of Common Kestrel and Hobby.
Today we witnessed 44 Red kites gaining height and leaving Mallorca, the first time anyone has ever seen this.
There were Booted eagles, Marsh Harrier, one Montagu’s Harrier and Eleonora’s Falcons.
Every day sees an increase in the numbers of Tiger butterflies passing through.
As there was a constant stream of raptors overhead, we were unable to cover the ground but over 18 were seen. This is a considerable underestimate of the total passing through today and we could only guess at a total.
Dragonflies have excelled too but again, not enough time has been devoted to observation of these beautiful creatures which is a great shame.
We will be at the Cap next weekend and maybe the one after.
Mike

Last edited:
Steve. Thanks for all your posts and for your excellent company too.
Safe trip home and I hope to see you again on your next visit.
All the best, Mike

Over 100 Scopoli’s Shearwaters and an awesome view of an Eleonora’s Falcon from a boat between Port Andratx and Soller today.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back