• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fen's Pool Nr (1 Viewer)

1 Garden, 1 sedge, 8 Whitethroats, 10+ Swallows, Fens Pools, nearly back home while walking over RH Fields saw and heard 3 Whimbrel following one another heading westish following himley road towards himley, cheers Si

Hobby over Russells Hall Estate this evening. Male Reed Bunting Grove Pool this morn was only second record of the year of this former common resident

Greylag Goose on Fens Pool till 7 am only, and 2 Reed Warblers by Grove Pool were both new for me this year, also c30 Swifts, 1 Swallow, 10+ Whitethroats, 1 Lesser White seen

Bit of late news, i had another Red Kite south west over Russells Hall Estate early am on 30th May, apart from that very quiet lately, cheers Si

The May summary for Worcs on Brians site shows a good few records as well as several June records locally to date - all bodes well........

Laurie:t:

On hearing gulls mobbing a presumed raptor over house at 2.40 pm today, a quick dash outside got me onto an Osprey which circled once before continueing south out over Russells Hall Hospital and then probably over the top of Fens Pools, earlier a walk around barrow hill and milking bank pool area produced a female Peregrine, 1 Little Grebe, and a few of the commoner warbler species

The reason why i seem to drop on so many raptors, and other soaring birds is probably because i have always loved sky watching more than most, its still amazing how many birdwatchers only look at what is in front of them and hardly ever look up, although this is certainly changing with more reports of large raptors coming from the local spots each year just showing what is possible up their. Also now after watching locally for 30+ years this is often the only way to add a new bird to my area list

1130-1230........

Quiet, lots of fishing types and plenty of skunk being smoked - i dread to think of the tales of 'the one that got away' from somebody full of 'recreational' drugs. Mind you, i felt like having a 'bang' on something that might have turned a Common Swift into a Pacific.........

Migrants -
Swift
House Martins
Sand Martin. single
Whitethroat x2
Blackcaps
Chiffchaff, single

Tufties ca10

That was about it.........

Sun 23rd June......

1115-1200

Quiet - 60+ House Martins with parties of Swifts feeding low over Fens Pool along with a Common Tern. Blackcap, Whitethroat and Chiffchaff all singing.

That's all of note......

Mon 8th July........

I ca'nt believe that nobody else is able to post any notes from Fens Pools - it's not even my local patch.

1115-1230

Mixed party of ca12 LBBs o mixed age with a couple of Herrings also about a dozen Black Headed Gulls including the first juvenile that i have noted.

Tufties ca 6 on Fens and 2/3 on Grove

Common Sand feeding at the paddock inflow and a solitary Common Tern nearby.

Half a dozen Blackcaps heard, 2 different singing Chiffs and a calling bird plus a singing Whitethroat over at the Grove.

Skies clear except for a solitary Swallow - a few more Swallows an hour or so later at the Bull and BladderB :)

ATB Laurie:t:

Mon 8th July........

I ca'nt believe that nobody else is able to post any notes from Fens Pools - it's not even my local patch.

1115-1230

Mixed party of ca12 LBBs o mixed age with a couple of Herrings also about a dozen Black Headed Gulls including the first juvenile that i have noted.

Tufties ca 6 on Fens and 2/3 on Grove

Common Sand feeding at the paddock inflow and a solitary Common Tern nearby.

Half a dozen Blackcaps heard, 2 different singing Chiffs and a calling bird plus a singing Whitethroat over at the Grove.

Skies clear except for a solitary Swallow - a few more Swallows an hour or so later at the Bull and BladderB :)

Is it watched on a daily basis. At work its not on my side of Brierley Hill otherwise I would go down there to keep tabs on whats about.

I would be very surprised if it is not. I bumped into 3 birders, all locals and above 'retirement' age a few months ago and they were bantering as if they were regular. I also said hello to one of them on Monday but nothing was said?

Perhaps reports are put on Brian Stretchs' site, which is fine but not everybody subscribes. I send reports but do not subscribe and i ca'nt be the only one. It's a pity as it's the largest area of water locally and very little information is forthcoming. Eric and Tony must be the local stalwarts i shall enquire next time i bump into them.

Hi Laurie,

Just to confirm that both the Worcester Birding and Birding Today websites are no longer subscription access only. Both are now financed by advertising.

Latest Worcs bird news is here (restricted to less common migrants through to rares etc)

West Mids headline bird news (togther with links to other sites) can be found here. (restricted to genuine scarcities/rarities occuring in the region).

As for reporting from Fens Pool and beyond, I guess the time of the year is the problem. Many birders won't report their sightings unless they see something unusual. I know Simon Edwards and he reports unusual birds he has seen around the Fens Pool area both on here and to me if they warrant mention.

As you well know, it a tough game birding in the Midlands and there often isn't really anything worth reporting.

Brian

Could'nt agree more Brian, that's why my posts on the thread i started tend to ramble off patch (but all pertinent;)). Thank's for clarifying things with the Worcester news etc.

Down @ Grimmers tomorrow, cycling from Worcester to the pits and then the pub for a couple of beers and a cob - you will be the first to know in the unlikely event that i find anything..............

Hi Laurie their are a small group of about 8+ birders including myself who regularly watch the area, unfortunately other commitments have kept me away for the last few weeks, also it tends to be very quiet at this time of year, but of course that's no excuse as you know rares or oddities can turn up during the quietest times. Also when a good species is found by a local birder more birders from further afield turn up and then often other good birds are found, just to prove more eyes and better coverage = more good birds, cheers Simon

I would be very surprised if it is not. I bumped into 3 birders, all locals and above 'retirement' age a few months ago and they were bantering as if they were regular. I also said hello to one of them on Monday but nothing was said?

Perhaps reports are put on Brian Stretchs' site, which is fine but not everybody subscribes. I send reports but do not subscribe and i ca'nt be the only one. It's a pity as it's the largest area of water locally and very little information is forthcoming. Eric and Tony must be the local stalwarts i shall enquire next time i bump into them.

When you say Eric I assume you mean EGP? Have a look at the July edition of Birdwatch, turn to page 4, the main picture showing the birders at the Dusky Thrush twitch......and.......that looks remarkably like Mr EGP standing just to the left of the inset Dusky Thrush photo....with the blue jacket on.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back