• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bartley reservoir (1 Viewer)

4-07-14 18:00 Bartley Reservoir
It was great to get a new tick on BR, a grey wagtail!! 2 GCG. A couple swifts. It looked like low flying cormorants over the middle of the res!!

23-08-14 18:00 Bartley Reservoir
A quick cycle ride to BR and a few new ones for me here, including a heron, cormorant and pied wagtail. Grey wagtail and swallows also present. On BTO Common Scoter has been reported.

Brent Goose

[Bird seen and photographed by Ian Whitehouse.

Never settled.

QUOTE=yamyam;3092013]Bird flew off
Good Birding YAMYAM[/QUOTE]

Huge gull roost yesterday, I would struggle to put a number to it but 1000s and must cover a quarter of the res. Pretty impressive. Some spotters with scopes present for the Iceland Gulls so I was told. (as it's close to me I often have a look for a KF)

On a quick run around BR, I went through the field that runs along one side of the Res and was pleasantly surprised to find a Skylark which did it's vertical flight and particular call. Next was a comman warbler for which I shall return to find out what type. Great!

Stopped on causeway for a blast of fresh air this evening...it was freezing and blowing a gale.......BUT the Swifts were really going for it.......coming right down to head height.....amazing how they find insects at that speed.

Great run around the res 18:00; Skylark, Willow warbler, Reed bunting, Swallow, Swift, House Martin, Chiff Chaff, Kestrel, Great!!

The swallows and swifts are really impressive flying over the Res! Encouraged by scaupface on twitter (he's seen KF at the res), I had a good look at the inlet area, SW corner and there were 6 common sandpiper. 2 heron in the distance and warblers in the hedges. Great!!

Bit surprised to find a Brent Goose loafing with the large gulls this morning. It seemed to fly in low from the north at about 10:15, then got flushed by the usual 10:30 speedboat and flew south east & lost to view. It wasn't at the southern end but could've landed at Frankley I suppose. Also a Stonechat by the fence from the layby and 4 Goldeneye.

Caspo or Yello

Morning all.

Having some issues with a bird I saw at Bartley on 21st. I had it down as possibly a Caspian originally but my photos are leading me down some contradictory paths. Any thoughts on the attached pics?

(For me: grey shade compared to BHG, tail/primaries held low, and to an extent the head shape suggests YLG, but the clean head, beedy black eye (showed up well in scope), bill and in part the head shape again (argh!!??) suggest Caspian.

I'm havin a mare!

Attachments

• IMG_20151224_085118.jpg
    IMG_20151224_085118.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20151224_085115.jpg
    IMG_20151224_085115.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 97
Had a few top tips on Twitter. Dark mantle and chunky neck suggesting YLG - these are pretty clear on the photos, classic overexcitement on my part convincing myself otherwise! Gony spot looks pretty big too, just wish I'd got a clearer photo showing the bill more clearly. Would've shut myself up faster!! Back to the books...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back