• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

floresii (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

There is some room for discussion on the key entry:

Damiano Flores d’Arcais (also known as Damiano Floresi) (fl. 1845) Italian mining engineer in Mexico, collector in California, Mexico and Jamaica (but see Endoxa) (syn. Anthracothorax mango, Selasphorus sasin x Calypte anna).

First of all here John Gould named him Flores d’Areais. Mussant here as Floresi d’Areais.

Second there is some more information in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds may help to find his bith/death dates.

He was also mentioned in here...

While you were busy solving things...
● "LE FLORÉSI T. Floresii … Nous avons dédié cette espèce à M. Florési, naturaliste domicilié au Mexique."

To find here. Bonaparte wrote the name with only one i here.

To consider is that he worked in geological and botanical area as well and he died in Panama if The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is correct.

But I doubt that everthing in there is correct as dedication for Lepanthes floresii

Etymologie: Zu Ehren von Sr. Washington FLORES aus Quito benannt, welcher diese Art entdeckte.

Gould wrote that Floresi died of fever in 'the pestilential region of Panama'.

Gould on Selasphorus floresii and here.

Did not find yet what Gould wrote about his death, but Mulsant repeated here similar:

Elle a été découverte sur les plateaux de Mexico, par M. Damien Floresi d'Areais, mort peu de temps après, de la fièvre, dans les contrées insalubres de Panama.

At least here Gould called him late.

I was through the exertions of the late Signor Floresi, that most, if not all the specimens which now adorn the collections of Europe have been procured, all of which were obtained in the table-lands in the vicinity of the celebrated Real del Monte Mines;...

And here Gould wrote:

For the discovery of this elegant little Calothorax, science is indepted to the late Signor Damiano Floresi d'Acreais, a gentleman endowed with so many amiable qualities, that while his friends dwell with pleasure upon the recollection of the gratification they derived from the society, they as deeply and mournfully regret his premature decease from fever immediately on landing in the pestilential country of Panama.

Last edited:
the pestilential country of Panama.
That is a bit of a mouthful! off course, a lot of areas have historically had a lot of problems with Malaria even though those problems are limited at the moment -- including many areas in places like Italy.

Niels

Damiano Flores d'Arcais (G. Chiozzi in litt. May 2011 ,.According to Palmer (1928:
277), Floresi was 'An Italian engineer in charge of a mine operated by an English company
at Bolanos, Mexico, where, in 1845, he collected a hummingbird which was named in his
honour'.
Bull. B.O.C. 2011 131(4)

Type specimens of the Imperial Woodpecker
Campephilus imperialis (Gould, 1832)

by Robert P. Prys-Jones

Last edited:
Bull. B.O.C. 2011 131(4)

To find here. But I think he wrote him wrong with d'Arcais? Theodore Sherman Palmers publication here p. 277 contains an interesting detail.

Among the subscribers to Gould’s “Monograph of the Trochilidae” was Signor Lorenzo Floresi of Turin, who may have been a relative of the collector.

He is mentioned as well here in context with José María Fagoaga.

En 1834, José María de Fagoaga convino con Damiano Floresi, apoderado de la Compañía Minera de Bolaños, con sede en Londres, en la explotación de la...

In LOSCAMINOSDE LA JUSTICIAEN LOSDOCUMENTOS DE MARIANO OTERO MESTAS p.279.

En mi última te decía que deseando servirte de un modo que te fuera útil con respecto al plano, te suplicaba me dijeras qué clase de plano necesitabas, pues que Don Damiano Floresi anterior director de estas minas y hombre bastante culto, me prometía hacer lo posible porque quedaras servido de un modo conforme a tus deseos.

In here we can read:

»Der Auflösungsprocess,“) durch welchen etwa 13000 cargas« (39000 Ctnr.) »Erz in den Jahren 1851 und 1852 entsilbert wurden, war durch den verstorbenen Don Damiano Floresi, vorzugsweise die Anwendung des Quecksilbers zu beseitigen

And here in PDF p. 88 of 268:
Día 27 de Octubre de 1847.~Escmot Sr.-Los indígenas del pueblo de Santa María de los Angeles pretenden se les devuelva un terreno que vendió la junta de hacienda el año de 1843 á D. Damiano Floresi, en el que se hallaba incluso el camposanto.

Anyway Floresia from Reichenbach to find here.

Last edited:
Here's a quick look, even if not any of "my birds" ... (hopefully I've got most of it right ;))

• "T. [Trochilus] Floresii" BOURCIER & MULSANT 1846 (here) a k a "Le Florési" (in French) [syn. Anthracothorax mango]:
Nous avons dédié cette espèce à M. Florési, naturaliste domicilié au Mexique.
• "Selasphorus Floresii" GOULD 1861*, ex "Trochilus floresii, Lodd. MMS" (here) a k a "Floresi's Flamebearer" alt. (later) "Floresi's Hummingbird" [hybrid; Calypte anna x Selasphorus sasin]:
One of the very finest birds in the Loddigesian Collection was presented to the late Mr. George Loddiges by Mr. Floresi.
"August 11, 1845. Mr. Floresi sent me a most beautiful new Humming-Bird, which I call Floresii. It is from Bolanos, and is nearly allied to Anna, ... Mr. Floresi says it is the only one he has ever seen."

Also note the Key's reference to the two Generic names (my blue) :
Endoxa
(syn. Anthracothorax Ϯ Jamaican Mango A. mango) Gr. ενδοξος endoxos glorious, renowned < εν en in; δοξα doxa splendour, glory < δεχομαι dekhomai to approve; "Gen. Floresia (!) Rchb. 1854: Anstatt dieses unbrauchbaren Namens, mit dem man höchstens die Frau oder Tochter des Herrn Floresi bezeichnen könnte, schlage ich für die bis jetzt einzige Art der Gattung die von ενδοξος (berühmt) entlehnte Benennung Endoxa porphyrura vor" (Heine 1863). Var. Eudoxa.
Floresia
(syn. Anthracothorax Ϯ Jamaican Mango A. mango) Damiano Floresi d'Areais (fl. 1845) Italian mining engineer in Mexico, geologist, collector in Mexico, California and Jamaica (cf. specific name Trochilus floresii Bourcier & Mulsant, 1846 (= syn. Anthracothorax mango)); "Anthracothorax ... β. Floresia porphyrura (Tr. — us SHAW 1811.) RCHB. — Jamaica." (Reichenbach 1854).

Regarding "the pestilential region of Panama" ...

Numerous specimens were from time to time transmitted to this country by M. Floresi d’Areais, before his untimely death in the pestilential region of Panama.

[from the text on the "Red-billed Azure-crown", the very first bird in John Gould's A monograph of the Trochilidæ, or family of humming-birds, volume 5 (1861), here]

There's a "Damiano Floresi, Esq.", noticed among the "Deceased Fellows" (in 1858) (here, bottom p.vi, below "Non-residents"). No idea if its the same guy (and/or Geologist), it could be, or not? But probably so. He's also, more than once, during the 1830's (for example, here), listed as "Damiano Floresi, Esq., Commissioner of the Bolaños and Vetu Grande Mines in Mexico".

If Mr Washington Flores, commemorated in the far, far later Orchid Lepanthes floresii LUER & HIRTZ 1991 (in Orchidaceae, Plantae) has anything what-so-ever to do with this case, and/or those birds, is far, far beyond my knowledge. But I doubt it.

And: could the "d’Areais" part possibly origin in d’areais, in as in/from the area ...(of Turin/Torino)?

For what it is worth.

Björn

Last edited:
Martin, I guess/assume you've already seen this one (by John Gould, here):

THE late Damiano Floresi will always be remembered by Trochilidists as one who has been the means of making known to us many of the Humming Birds of Mexico, and in acknowledging the value of his exertions, I feel that I am only rendering justice to one to whom we are all so largely indebted, and I would add, that none of his numerous friends more sincerely regrets his premature decease than myself. ...

Also noteworthy is the following text/part (from the same piece as in Mark's Post #3, and your first link in #4), from BBOC 131, No.4 (December 2011), here (on p.257):

Damiano Flores d’Arcais (G. Chiozzi in litt. May 2011), also known outside Italy as Damiano Floresi (e.g. Gould 1861: ...
[...]
Floresi, who Gould considered an 'esteemed friend' (Sauer 2006: 111), died prior to May 1853 (Gould 1861: text to pl. 261, first published in a part dated 1 May 1853 [Coues 1879]), 'immediately on landing in Panama' (Gould 1861: text to pl. 142). Further research into the life of Floresi, whose name is also linked to other important Mexican bird specimens, would seem important and has begun ...
Maybe those guys (far, far more qualified than me) already have solved this case!?

/B
-

Last edited:
Marchese d'Arcais; "D(amiano) Flores d'Arcais" (here, see p.221), or here (all in Italian).

To me (without understanding Italian) it does look like G. Chiozzi, as well as yesterday's Key (see post #1), could be fully correct in how his name ought to be written (at least those parts of his name) ... doesn't it!?

Also see the following links: here, here and here. At least in the last one they mention a guy who emigrated to South America. If he's "our guy" ... well, I cannot tell. As always when dealing with Nobility it's an almost impassable mess of names (and titles), and certainly so when retold in Italian (or in any other language one doesn't master).

However, hopefully of some help?

/B
---

Last edited:
At least in the last one they mention a guy who emigrated to South America. If he's "our guy" ... well, I cannot tell.

If he is it is Mr Right it is probably him Don Damiano Flores Marchese di Cervellon born 13/07/1799 or his family tree here.

Regarding:

Floresi, who Gould considered an 'esteemed friend' (Sauer 2006: 111), died prior to May 1853 (Gould 1861: text to pl. 261, first published in a part dated 1 May 1853 [Coues 1879]), 'immediately on landing in Panama' (Gould 1861: text to pl. 142). Further research into the life of Floresi, whose name is also linked to other important Mexican bird specimens, would seem important and has begun ...

We are talking about Selasphorus calliope described by Gould in 1847. Here plate 142 as Calothorax calliope where Flores/Florese died immediately on landing in Panama (in the text to the plate). If we follow Frederick Herschel Waterhouse here in part XIV from 1857 of Goulds plates. If we consider plate 261 where Gould called him late, this plate and text have been published in part V from 1853. So the analysis seems to be correct.

Last edited:
True Martin, in spite of my somewhat limited capacity (and one would think, against better judgement ;)) I also, at the same time as you, gave floresii another try ...

To me it (also) looks like you/we could be looking for: "Don Damiano Flores, Marchese di Cervellon", of the Noble family d'Archais (born 1799), here.

Born 13 July 1799, in Cagliari, Sardinia [Son of Don Francesco Flores, Marchese d'Arcais (born 1777), and Donna Maria Rita Cervellon] ... who emigrated to South America (here). He was married to Donna Silvestra with whom he had two children; Donna Maria Flores (born 1830, in Cagliari) and Don Lorenzo Flores (born 1832, in Messico/Mexico), here [though compare the latter with the subscriber of Gould's “Monograph of the Trochilidae”, the "Signor Lorenzo Floresi of Turin" (except for the ending -i, of course), mentioned in #4 ... possibly as in a namesake/relative] ...

In any case, also worth considering is the following piece/text (in Wikipedia's List of marquesses in Italy, No.52), though only regarding the Marquis/Marchese di/of Cervellon Part (apparently bestowed upon him in 1838): "Not a feudal title. The possession of the title of Baron of Samatzai was contested to Damiano Flores's mother, Maria Rita Cervellon, by the Crown; since the trial was still on-going when fiefs were redeemed, he had as a renewal of the old title the mere dignity of Marquis of Cervellon." (from here). He himself could (according to here, p.7) have given up this title.

Either way; if nothing else ... if this guy was one "of mine" (which he, luckily isn't), I´d go for something like: probably named after Damiano Flores, of the Noble family d'Arcais (born 1799, ... who emigrated to Mexico, and died shortly after his arrival in Panama, at some point between 1845/1846 and May 1853), a k a "Damiano Floresi" (in Non-Italian texts), alt. "Damiano Floresi d'Areais [sic]". Or something in those lines.

If it truly is/was him? I haven't got a clue. It could be. Or not? I haven't found any texts what-so-ever linking this guy to Natural History (alt. Storia Naturale). The only parts that fits would be the name/s itself and the "fact" that he seems to have emigrated to (and was lost in) South America. Not a substantial case.

Thereby, take it as nothing but a guess. At its best as some possible clues, for anyone keen, even more eager, on truly finding him.

Either way; he is not to confuse with his nephew; "Don Damiano Flores" (born in 1854).

/B

PS. This would/could also explain why Bonaparte (who was well acquainted with Italy and his fellows among Italian Nobilty) altered the scientific name of Bourcier's "Floresii" into "floresi" (after Don Flores)

PPS. And James, please don't quote me on this one. In this topic I'm fumbling in the dark. Simply take the above for what it is worth. If anything at all.
--

Last edited:
Just another guess as I read floresae entry in the Key:

floresae

Cerro Flores, eastern Chiriquí, Panama.

Maybe this mountain was named after him? But no hint for this thesis from OD p. 8.

Last edited:
Minor correction: both Mexico and Panama are usually considered Central America, not south
Niels, "are" ... yes (of course), agreed, though in those days, in Italy, not as evident/obvious/clear cut; "Sudamerica", as in America meridionale (see, for example, here)

;)

/B

PS. And, yes, simply trying to save face
-

Last edited:
Martin, does this text help in any way? All in German:
»Erz in den Jahren 1851 und 1852 entsilbert wurden, war durch den verstorbenen Don Damiano Floresi, vorzugsweise in der Absicht in Mexico eingeführt worden, um ...

[here (from 1859), in foot-note, p.140]​
Either way: I guess he [i.e. Damiano Flores] would/could be found in the book: I Flores d'Arcais: momenti di storia sarda : documenti, eventi e personaggi (1999), written by Enrico Flores d'Arcais (all in Italian). For examples, see the following links (all Google snippet views); here, here, here, here, here and here. Surely "our guy" must (or at least could) be in there?

Maybe he could be the one mentioned (in the latter link) as; "Damiano Efisio Luigi Tommaso Rafaele Gaetano" Flores (Marchese di Cervellon), of the Noble family d'Arcais, or something among those lines ... ?!? (Wow, those names, in those Noble families)

Hopefully, the same book also includes a clear connection between "our" Damiano and Natural History, alt. birds, collecting, the naturalists concerned, etc., etc..

Well, that's it (on my part), this far.

Good luck finding him.

Björn

Martin, does this text help in any way? All in German:

Not really a help. I mentioned that part already in my earlier posts. Apart from the fact that he was involved in mining (which we already new) nothing knew.

But of course this kind of miners are many time as well connected to geology. Maybe it is sufficient to find a link to the Compañía Minera de Bolaños.

Note that "Bolaños" was mentioned in the very first link (of those Google snippet views, in post #15). If in the right context, is beyond me.

There's apparently yet another book on/in the same topic, that might be worth a look; Le nostre radici: personaggi eventi e documenti della famiglia Flores d'Arcais (1996), by the same Enrico Flores d'Arcais.

Good luck digging!

/B

Più opportuno pareva sin d' allora l'istmo di Darien, ed anche là troviamo un italiano Flores d'Arcais, emigrato del ventuno, che doveva però soggiacere al clima micidialissimo di quella regione, ...

[bits and pieces, taken from here]
Also see this search (even better if altered into Google Books), or here, which to me looks like he could have emigrated as early as in 1821. Also see here. That is (of course), if it's him? But I would think so.

To get the full picture I assume you need to know Italian.

Anyone who does?

/B
__

Last edited:
Nothing new but maybe easier to read:

Già in quel tempo il progetto del canale d'America attraeva la mia attenzione: proposi ad Azeglio di onorare in Flores d'Arcais un emigrato del 1821 eminente per scienza e lavori, e fu onorato; ma presto Flores soggiacque al clima micidiale di Darien, come vi perirono recentemente facendo nuovi studi per lo scopo medesimo, il capitano Bixio, e l'ingegnere Guido Musso.

So I assume he died in Darién Province.

From here here...

Dia quinta Novembris anni millesimi octingentesimi sexagesimi quarti Obiit in comunione Sanctae Matris Ecclesiae nora undecima pomeridiana et omnibus sacramenti munita Donna Maria a Jesu Flores d'Arcais loci Bollagnus nel Messico, Maechionis d'Arcais Don Damiano et Donna Silvestra Flores, celebs (!) et etatis annorum triginta quatuor cuius cadaver peracta Missa corpore presenti abstantibus Beneficioris huius Primazialis Ecclesis in comuni fidelium cemeterio sepultum fuit.

.. I would assume he was married to Silvestra Flores and was the father of Maria a Jesu Flores (died 5. November 1864 here). But I have to admit that latin is not my passion. And this would be indeed Damiano Flores Marchese di Cervellon born 1799 in Cagliari.

Note: Bollagnus nel Messico = Bolaños Mexico

Last edited:
The following text is probably written about the (Mexican) Son, of "our guy":
...; nel cimitero di Zacatecas, luogo della sua morte, esiste, ancor oggi, la tomba con lapide. Era noto come Floresi, cognome col quale anche il padre Damiano era conosciuto all'estero. Essendo il padre primogenito di Francesco, quindi esede del ... [on p.19, here]
Mostly note the phrase/part: Era noto come Floresi, cognome col quale anche il padre Damiano era conosciuto all'estero, (which, helped by Google translate, tells us: He was known as Floresi, a surname with which his father Damiano was also known abroad),

I guess "his Father" ought to be the guy you're looking for. This use of Floresi versus (the proper) Flores might/could explain why his Death date is so hard to find all'estero/abroad ... (and on the internet).

If those floresii Hummingbirds was "mine" I´d get that book (or books*) from the closest Library, as soon as possible. ;)

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back