• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

delacouri / Delacourella / Delacourigallus (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Without checking all dedications in detail I doubt the Alexandre in delacouri / Delacourella / Delacourigallus as in the key.

Dr Jean Baptiste Théodore Alexandre Delacour (1890-1985)

If we check Archive en ligne p. 17 of 21 his birth entry contains no Alexandre.

I think the name was introduced from Herbert Girton Deignan The birds of northern Thailand p. 13 and copied into Hubert Massey Whittells The literature of Australian birds: A history and a bibliography of Australian ornithology but this seems not correct.

Take it for what's worth.

Delacour's Bornean/Sumatran/Crested Fireback (Pheasant)

Does anyone have access to the OD of ...

• the invalid "Lophura sumatrana delacouri"* GHIGI 1926, in (Revue Hist. Nat.) L'Oiseau VII (No.2), in a Paper by Alessandro Ghigi, titled: Les Faisans du Genre Lophura (The Pheasants of the Genus Lophura), apparently/supposedly starting on p.48+, with the OD itself on p. "51"?

It seems to be this journal/paper (though only in Google snippet views), here alt. here (even if the paginations doesn't match?)

Though, stay calm, there's no doubt what-so-ever regarding the dedicatee of this one, see here, where Jean Delacour [i.e. Jean Théodore Delacour (1890–1985)] himself gives the following comment:
A very interesting new race, of which a pair has been sent to me by my friend, Professor A. Ghigi, of Bologna, has been named by him after me, Lophura sumatrana delacouri; it resembles in every way ...
I simply want see the OD myself, not only in Google snippet view/s, simply as I wonder if the OD also includes an out-spoken dedication.

Also see (alt. compare with) the recent (today's) thread; Ambassador Macartney's Fireback (Pheasant) (here).

Björn

Last edited:
Ouups, I've got it!

Dedication found (even if still in another snippet view, here) ;)
Je nomme ..., en l’honneur de mon collègue français.
I suppose (?) that this "Lophura sumatrana delacouri" is a synonym of today's (somewhat debated) Lophura ignita macartneyi, described by Temminck 1813 (as "Gallus Macartneyi"), or of the nominate ssp. itself, (Shaw, 1798), simply as sumatrana (? ex Latham 1823?) seems to be a synonym of macartneyi.

Or?

/B

I suppose (?) that this "Lophura sumatrana delacouri" is a synonym of today's (somewhat debated) Lophura ignita macartneyi, described by Temminck 1813 (as "Gallus Macartneyi"), or of the nominate ssp. itself, (Shaw, 1798), simply as sumatrana (? ex Latham 1823?) seems to be a synonym of macartneyi.

Or?

/B
Does anyone know the true synonym of "Lophura sumatrana delacouri", equal of which of today's taxon/taxa?

It's somewhat tricky to figure it out ... (as hybrids, or clinal forms, etc., etc, have been suggested to be involved).

Björn asked:”Does anyone know the true synonym of "Lophura sumatrana delacouri", equal of which of today's taxon/taxa?

It's somewhat tricky to figure it out ... (as hybrids, or clinal forms, etc., etc, have been suggested to be involved).”
Delacour himself commented: “Different Firebacks - Bornean (nobilis), Vieillot's, Crestless - have not laid yet, but I have good acclimatized pairs which ought to breed next season. A very interesting new race, of which a pair has been sent to mc by my friend, Professor A. Ghigi, of Bologna, has been named by him after me, Lophura sumatrana delacouri; it resembles in every way the Bornean bird (L. ignita), but shows the pure white central tail feathers of the Vieillot's (L. rufa)”...here is the skin of the female:
https://science.mnhn.fr/institution...tem/mo-1927-1790?listIndex=127&listCount=8447 .
And the male:
https://science.mnhn.fr/institution...tem/mo-1932-3210?listIndex=128&listCount=8447 .
In 1949 Delacour mentioned this taxa but I cannot read it.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1949.tb02262.x .
The work Björn mentioned in another thread Collar & Prys-Jones Forktail 2014 Lophura ignita macartneyi revisited says “If the issue of macartneyi and its various other manifestations (sumatrana, delacouri and albipennis) can now be considered resolved—it might be appropriate to refer to these hybrids collectively under the established name ‘macartneyi’, so long as this is in inverted commas to indicate its taxonomic invalidity”.

Thanks Mark! :t:

Those links, to the two Syntypes, kept in/at Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle (with additional photos, labels, papers and plates, attached by the MNHN staff) certainly helped! Puzzle solved.

Thereby; "Lophura sumatrana delacouri" GHIGI 1926 = today's Lophura ignita macartneyi (Temminck, 1813)

Once again: thanks!

delacouri ... over and out!

Those links, to the two Syntypes, kept in/at Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle (with additional photos, labels, papers and plates, attached by the MNHN staff) certainly helped! Puzzle solved.

Thereby; "Lophura sumatrana delacouri" GHIGI 1926 = today's Lophura ignita macartneyi (Temminck, 1813)

Once again: thanks!

delacouri ... over and out!
Not quite. Lophura ignita macartneyi revisited says that Temminck named a taxon he thought was unnamed in 1813 as macartneyi but it had already been named by Shaw as ignita. So "refer to these hybrids collectively under the established name ‘macartneyi’, so long as this is in inverted commas to indicate its taxonomic invalidity”.

Avibase does not list Birdlife International as agreeing with them because they do not. Any nomenclatural or taxonomuic position of Collar should be followed one thousand percent

... Collar should be followed one thousand percent
That might be the case Mark, but in Sweden we follow the IOC list, and in doing so we're is stuck (at least for now) with the ssp. macartneyi, and I still need to explain "delacouri" as a synonym of ... ?

/B

--

Last edited:
Jean Delacour Memorial Issue

After following the path of Monsieur Jabouille (in the on-going thread emmae in Leptocoma sperata emmae), I happened to stumble upon even more info regarding the Life of the French ornithologist Monsieur Delacour (not US, as is often claimed, on several Wiki pages) ... found in:

• the Jean Delacour Memorial Issue of Avicultural magazine 94, No.1-2 (1988): here (or/alt. here), covering most of his Life, in the most minute details, like (for example):
Jean Delacour was born in [26] September 1890 in Paris, in his parents' apartment near the Opèra. He ...

[By Dr. Tim Lovell, p.3+]​
... and onwards.

Enjoy!

/B

PS. I´m still in need of some assistance, in trying to explain "delacouri"; as a synonym of ... which of today's taxon/taxa? (that is; following the IOC taxonomy, of course).

Anyone who knows?

Grateful for any help in this certain topic.
--

Last edited:
The "american" Jean Delacour

After following the path of Monsieur Jabouille (in the on-going thread emmae in Leptocoma sperata emmae), I happened to stumble upon even more info regarding the Life of the French ornithologist Monsieur Delacour (not US, as is often claimed, on several Wiki pages) ... found in:

• the Jean Delacour Memorial Issue of Avicultural magazine 94, No.1-2 (1988): here (or/alt. here), covering most of his Life, in the most minute details, ...
As I'm about to finish my entry regarding the well-known (Frenchman) Jean Delacour ...

Clarification, Jean (Théodore) Delacour (1890–1985) is sometimes called an "American -", or "US ornithologist" (alt. ditto Aviculturist), as for example on/in English Wikipedia. This is not entirely false, even if he was French "to the bone", as French as anyone can be (he was a connoisseur of food and drink, he loved his Canard [duck] à la rouennaise, or his foie gras, as well as great wines and old champagne), born and raised in France, as well as living there most of his life, but he did (also) have an American (US) citizenship: post-WWII, after having accepted a position at the Bronx Zoo, in New York [actually his very first (paid) job, as an employee, hired for work, that is], that started in 1941. His (many) years in the US also included a myriad of other (non-paid) positions and assignments ..., though, of course, he didn't need the/any money, he was rich enough (i.e. overabundantly Wealthy), from the very start of his Life.

Juste est juste/Fair is fair.

Björn

PS. If anyone's curious of "Delacour’s crested fireback (Lophura ignita macartneyi)" itself, see here or here.

PPS. If anyone feel like looking at Monsieur/Mr Jean Delacour himself (at the age of 93, closing in on 94), as well as listen to him (and the racket surrounding his Chateau Clères), see the following interview on YouTube (here), by Tim Lovel, all in English (with a strong French accent, on Delacour's part). It's more than one hour long (though with some tech trouble at the very end).

Enjoy!

/B 

Quick one, re. the well-known (Frenchman) Jean (Théodore) Delacour (1890–1985) ...
..., but he did (also) have an American (US) citizenship: post-WWII, ... 
Jean Delacour got his American (US) citizenship in 1945, or 1946, (various claims in various sources) ... ?

Anyone who does know when it truly happened?

Björn

Filed for Naturalisation: 5th Feb 1942
Granted: 29/4/1946.

P

Attachments

• Natural.JPG
    Natural.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Natural2.JPG
    Natural2.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back