• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"A Grand Day Out" (1 Viewer)

Judo

Hi All,
On Friday Hubby got an unexpected dayoff work, so we decided to make the most of the (rare) sunny day and went out to a place we'd read about and never been to before, called "Teggs Nose Country Park", anyone know it? On arrival at the car park, we picked up a leaflet, from the many given away at the Rangers building, of a circular walk of 7 miles and set off.......be warned if you ever think of going there......it is VERY steep in places.......as I found out to my cost!!.......BUT....the views over the Cheshire Plains are glorious and well worth the effort! It was not a birding trip, but we saw quite a few on our way round, the first being what I think was a Willow Warbler, a first if it was! couldn't be 100% sure 'cos the very bright sun was directly behind it, so couldn't use bins, but it certainly sounded like its song, but I won't put it on the List yet. Next up was the Charm of Goldfinch, about 40 of them feeding on the Thistles in the field, and twittering off into the trees as we passed by, only to return to their feasting once more as we went on our way (no photos of them I'm afraid, as they were in the direct sunlight, and all I got was a dark silhouette!!) Overhead a Kestrel soared and Common Buzzards mewed. Lots of Butterflies flitted around, Sm.& Lrg.Whites, Skippers, Peacocks, Speckled Wood, to name but a few. The route goes through part of Macclesfield Forest and it was here we chose to eat our packed lunches, in the peace and quiet of the trees, the only sounds being the musical twittering of the L.T.Tits, Blue & Coal Tits too,and the mew of more Buzzards circling high overhead.
Refreshed by our lunch and the rest, we walked on, out of the Forest and down some pleasant, very quiet, country lanes (only 3 vehicles seen the whole route.....lovely!) a short detour to see an old Church, St.Stephens, the original built on this site in 1673 and then rebuilt in 1834, a lovely little Church in such peaceful surroundings. Onwards through pretty hamlets where the Swallows swooped and screamed across the fields, and then chased and mobbed a B.of P. about 50 or more Swallows altogether, never seen that many at once! again no photos! all I got were specks in the sky and blurs over the fields!!
The route then passes some reservoirs and here there were Grey Heron, Tufted Ducks, Mallard, and a lovely family of Great Crested Grebes, the first time I've seen young ones! so that was a thrill! Further round on the rocks at the water's edge, a flash of yellow caught my eye.......a Grey Wagtail!! (a first for us both!!) pecking around in the rocks and having a refreshing drink, its tail ever wagging to an unheard beat! what a beautiful little bird! we watched spellbound, until it flew away. Then onwards and upwards we went, on the home stretch now, and the steepest climb of all! I thought at one point I was not going to make it, my knees and ankle joints protesting at each step! so steep was it (for me anyway!)........but make it I did! and the views from the top were breath taking!! in the far distance we could see the Beeston & Peckforton hills, a bit closer, but still distant, was Jodrell Bank. Up here was what was once a working quarry, with some of the machinery still in place, (Hubby very interested in this! which gave me chance for a rest!). Above the quarry soaring high in the sky was another Bird of Prey, which I thought may have been a Peregrine?? as it looked too big for a Kestrel. I've included some photos (not very good ones as it was a fair distance away!) any thoughts on id anyone please? it went down very fast, out of sight behind the rocks, with wings bent backwards, after its prey I presume. The views again, from here, were wonderful! with a beautiful setting sun dying in the sky, its rays piercing the clouds as it went.
We arrived back at the car park, greeted by the stone sheep! with my legs aching, tired and weary......but oh so happy!! A wonderful walk with lots of wildlife and flowers seen, Rabbits, Butterflies, Birds.........and of course........those views!!
The Guide had said allow 3-4 hours.........I'm afraid it took us six!! .........but then we did "stand & stare" a lot.......and we ain't as young as we once were!!
If you've stayed with me to the end, and not been too bored! I hope you've enjoyed reading about my walk and seeing just some of the photos.
Sorry it's taken so long since the walk to posting about it, and for my sporadic attendance here on the forum, but Life has got very busy for me lately, all good things I'm pleased to say!
My Best to You All,

The Photos: Firstly some of the views:
1) Shows one of the tracks we came down & the track we were climbing up!
2)The view from our picnic spot in the Forest.
3)View out over the Cheshire countryside.
4)The old Church.
5)View of the hill we later had to climb to the top of!!
........More to come......

Attachments

• 1)View of Track.JPG
    1)View of Track.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2)View from picnic spot.JPG
    2)View from picnic spot.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 3)Cheshire countryside.JPG
    3)Cheshire countryside.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 4)Old Church.JPG
    4)Old Church.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 5)View of the hill.JPG
    5)View of the hill.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 33
......and some of the birds...........

Attachments

• 1)Grey Heron.JPG
    1)Grey Heron.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 34
  • 2)Tufted Duck.JPG
    2)Tufted Duck.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 3)G.C.Grebe family.JPG
    3)G.C.Grebe family.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4)G.C.G.& baby.JPG
    4)G.C.G.& baby.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 5)Grey Wagtail.JPG
    5)Grey Wagtail.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 36
.............and yet more..........with the BOP I need help with please.........

Attachments

• 1)Reservoir from above.JPG
    1)Reservoir from above.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2)Quarry.JPG
    2)Quarry.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 28
  • 3)Bird of Prey.JPG
    3)Bird of Prey.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 40
  • 4)B.of P. again.JPG
    4)B.of P. again.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 5)B.O.P.yet again!.JPG
    5)B.O.P.yet again!.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 35
...........and here are the last.....I promise.......hope I haven't gone into photo overkill!!

Attachments

• Dying sun over the Cheshire Plains.JPG
    Dying sun over the Cheshire Plains.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Dying sun over the Cheshire Plains (1).JPG
    Dying sun over the Cheshire Plains (1).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Dying sun over the Cheshire Plains (2).JPG
    Dying sun over the Cheshire Plains (2).JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 4)Stone sculpture.JPG
    4)Stone sculpture.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 35
Hi Judo,

What a superb bit of countryside you have there! I can see what you mean about the steepness, but it was worth it for the view alone...but then there were plenty of other rewards too.

Definitley not photo overkill, it gives us all a chance to see some of what you saw, and I thank you for that. I'm afraid that I can't be of any help with the BOP...can you give us some idea of size in relation to one that you know?

Yes, of course we've stayed to the end! I certainly enjoyed reading about your walk Judo, and sharing it with you in those beautiful pictures. This is the easy way too, no aching limbs from where I'm sitting!
Jealous of the charm of Goldies - 40! But it's always the way, sun in the wrong direction for a photo when there's something really good. At least you got a superb picture of a Grey Wagtail - well done there!
Now you know that I won't be any help on the BOP ID, as I'm always the one to ask everyone else about mine. Hope you do get an answer, because it's so much more satisfying to know.

Hi Judo,
Lovely to hear from you, and great to hear you are busy with good things as I know you have spells of dreaded "M" keeping you away.
Your walk sounds wonderful even though you pushed yourself to the limit and the views in your pics are spectacular. I hope it was a W.W. you saw, but I know what you mean about giving it a definite tick, Ive also had a couple of "is it/isn't it" lol!
As for your BOP, did it hover Judo? I'm not able to id from the pic sorry, but I understand the only birds that hover are Kestrel, Osprey & Buzzard, so that may narrow it down a bit. Hope it helps.
Lovely report & pics, thanks Judo

Hi Wendy, Tony, Renée & pie,
Thanks for your very kind replies and your kind comments.
Wendy, all I can say is that the BOP was larger than a Kestrel, and maybe the same as a C.Buzzard, not much help am I??!
Tony, so glad you enjoyed.
Renée, pleased you enjoyed it too, makes it doubly enjoyable to share with you all. My legs are just about allowing me to walk again without an ouch! escaping with each step!!
pie, I won't comment on the "M" word! don't want to tempt providence!! The BOP didn't seem to hover, more like it was 'riding the thermals'! Oh drat! wish I'd been able to get better photos or more time to study it!!!
Thanks again to everyone of you.
My Best to You All,

Hi Judo
Wonderful report and it sounds and looks like 6 hours very well spent. Lovely pics of the scenery as for the birds I love the photo of the Grey Wagtail, lovely little bird.
The BOP has a feel of a hunting Kestrel looking at wing position, spread tail with head down as if ready to jump on the brakes and hover over prey. As Wendy says do you have idea of size, wood pigeon? large Gull size?

I've tried to lighten your pics (hope you don't mind) to pick out any clues and can make out reddish brown head/breast area. Anyone else any ideas?

Just see your reply, as big as C Buzzard, Juv Buzzard?

Attachments

• 5%29B[1].O.P.yet%20again%21-1.JPG
    5%29B[1].O.P.yet%20again%21-1.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Judo
Were wings pointed or broad with fingers? Another potential is female Sparrowhawk, looks big in flight, likes to 'hawk' over farmland

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the kind reply and trying to help with id, don't mind a bit re lightening photo, anything which helps is OK by me!
My Best to You Ray,

Wonderful Judo..and beautiful scenery to boot. Thanks for sharing your walk and I hope you manage to get an idea on your bop.
Oh!..and that your legs are recovering from the exertion;) it was certainly worth it.

Best Wishes

Hiya Judo,
Great to see those views again!!
Yes we've done Tegg's Nose tho not for a while now...you did very well as it IS so steep at times but as your pics show well worth it for the views......my house is down there somewhere!!! lol!!!:-O
I love the Grey Wagtail pic and am almost certain that your BOP is a Kestrel.
We're off to the Lake District in a few weeks so i'll have to dust off my climbing boots too!!;)
Best wishes,

Hi Judo My those pics of the tracks around Teggs Nose brought back some great walks we have done from this area, trouble is as I am sure you found out they all finish on an up-hill climb back to Teggs. We actually havent been there this year, which makes a change, we both love Macclesfied Forest and its surrounds, if you fancy a really hard day try walking to Lime Hall and back to Teggs its spectacular if extremely tiring, but well worth the effort.
You had a good list of birds also, dont think we have ever got that many, probably because sometimes we are just walkers at heart, and just bash on regardless.
Thanks for the Memory Joggers PeterK

Hi Judo that was a cracking report of a perfect summers day. Isnt it great when they come along unexpectedly. nice pictures of the exelent country side. very enjoyable. thanks for sharing.

Hi Judo,
It felt as I was on the walk with you. What an excellent set of photos and the veiws were stunning and to think that it is only up the road from me. Must go north more often.

Hi Judo,
Did they look anything like this?

Attachments

• DSC_0171.JPG
    DSC_0171.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 38
Hi Dizzy, Ruth, Peter, dafi & Jim,
Thanks for your kind comments all.
Dizzy, thanks, yes the legs are OK now, and I'd love to go again, maybe in the Spring when there's a few more birds about and it's easier to see 'em! so the aching legs hasn't put me off!!
Ruth, thought you might know it Ruth, well 'tis in your back yard , so-to-speak! Have a good time in the LD, and don't forget to dust off the camera too!!
Peter, I think the walk there is quite hard enough for me thanks! I'll leave the other to you....if you don't mind! ;) I think I spot a lot of birds on a walk like this, 'cos I need the rest! Glad to have brought back the memories for you.
dafi, yes I agree, the unexpected trips are extra special. Glad you enjoyed it too.
Jim, thanks for the compliments. The countryside here is certainly worth coming for, the birds an added bonus!
Thanks again everyone,
My Best to You All,

Hi pie,
Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you there! just took me so long to do the other reply...kept having to re-type as the message just kept disappearing on me for some reason!! Those are two great photos pie. No sorry, the wings on 'my' BOP were much narrower, and a more 'delicate' bird altogether......if you know what I mean.....I think I'm gonna have to settle on Kestrel, as you, Ruth & Ray, all have suggested Kestrel, and only my wishful thinking for it to be a Peregrine, and the distance from it, made it seem bigger to me!! Oh well...never mind....next time maybe.......
Thanks again pie,
my Best to You,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back