• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monopod for Canon 400mm 5.6 (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hi, I don´t know much about monopods so I´l just ask you guys who probably tried a few setups. Can you recommend a monopod with or without a head for my 7d and 400?

Im using cheep monpod from argos. Im still getting troubles to control 400 5.6L on it. Its not because its cheep monopod, the quality is good for money. Its because its hard to achieve complete stillness on monopod, I believe. So Im looking for a tripod now.

Im using cheep monpod from argos. Im still getting troubles to control 400 5.6L on it. Its not because its cheep monopod, the quality is good for money. Its because its hard to achieve complete stillness on monopod, I believe. So Im looking for a tripod now.
Mono pods are not the easiest of things to hold steady unless you find a good technique - there are several different methods shown out there on the web, it is just a case of finding the best one for you. Having said that I much prefer a good tripod and head.

I have a Velbon CF635 carbon tripod but the head is a video one for a scope. what heads are best suited for a small lens like the 400 5.6 and a 7d?

Mono pods are not the easiest of things to hold steady unless you find a good technique - there are several different methods shown out there on the web, it is just a case of finding the best one for you. Having said that I much prefer a good tripod and head.

I have a Velbon CF635 carbon tripod but the head is a video one for a scope. what heads are best suited for a small lens like the 400 5.6 and a 7d?
Something like the Manfrotto 234RC is OK, you do not need anything with panning as you just turn your pod to pan - so you just need a up/down tilt head. While the 234RC is reasonably cheap and cheerful it does the job if you get the right tension on the tilt axis.

Thx Roy. Never used my tripod and Manfrotto 128rc for anything else then scope so a little unsure what works best.

Something like the Manfrotto 234RC is OK, you do not need anything with panning as you just turn your pod to pan - so you just need a up/down tilt head. While the 234RC is reasonably cheap and cheerful it does the job if you get the right tension on the tilt axis.

Just a quick question, but what is making you want a monopod with the 400mm f5.6?

When I had this lens I found it to be VERY easy to use handheld down to shutter speeds in the double figures sometimes.

And with the lens being sharp wide open, fast shutter speeds aren't too difficult to come by, especially when teamed up with a 7D which by all accounts performs admirably at high ISO's. The exception being if its a really dull day or your in a dark woods, but a monopods not going to give you a distinct advantage over a good hand holding technique I feel.

A monopod seems neither here nor there to me when teamed up with this lens, for the amount of help its going to be I'd see it as a bigger hindrance having to get the height of the monopod roughly right each time before you want to take a photo.

This however is just my opinion, let me know if you see a noticeable increase in IQ

Ryan

Honestly I have not yet felt the need for a monopod, but I figured that when the dull overcast day came and I was out it could be handy. But like you say it can hinder me as much as help, so I think I might wait a little and see if I feel the need of one. I already have a tripod, just not sure if it´s worth luggin around when the 400mm 5.6 is so "light" :)

Just a quick question, but what is making you want a monopod with the 400mm f5.6?

When I had this lens I found it to be VERY easy to use handheld down to shutter speeds in the double figures sometimes.

And with the lens being sharp wide open, fast shutter speeds aren't too difficult to come by, especially when teamed up with a 7D which by all accounts performs admirably at high ISO's. The exception being if its a really dull day or your in a dark woods, but a monopods not going to give you a distinct advantage over a good hand holding technique I feel.

A monopod seems neither here nor there to me when teamed up with this lens, for the amount of help its going to be I'd see it as a bigger hindrance having to get the height of the monopod roughly right each time before you want to take a photo.

This however is just my opinion, let me know if you see a noticeable increase in IQ

Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back