• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID UTC Texas (1 Viewer)

rubonix

My brother and I spent some days on the Upper Texas Coast this past week. Got to see a good selection of birds. At Sabine Woods on the morning of Saturday April 27th, my brother got this picture of one that we'd like ur comments on. We're thinking it's a Blue-winged, but are uncertain. The colors are a bit funny, but hope the picture gives enough info for an ID.

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A25M7GFP4GKk1

Thx in advance.

---Ruben Ayala

Last edited:
This is not a classic Brewster's or Lawrence's Warbler, but the yellow patch on the wing is not usually found on any Blue-winged Warbler.

This situation may be somewhat analogous to the orioles we've had in the Lower Rio Grade Valley, called "Smudge" and "Son of Smudge" - hybrid birds that kind of defied easy ID.

You may have found a "Smudgy" Blue-winged Warbler.

Not much knowledge of hybrids either other than having seen pictures of classic Brewster's and Lawrence's, but at a best guess here I reckon Brewster's backcrossed with pure Blue-winged may give a female hybrid like this, largely resembling Blue-winged but with obvious yellow on the wing

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back