• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF (1 Viewer)

It's interesting to note that Zeiss's own promotional pictures show the x42 model with extended eyecups and the x32 with the retracted ones. Thus optically enhancing the size differences. Your photo here provides a more "neutral" comparison. Of course, I assume your photo comes from Zeiss as well, it's just a matter of presentation. ;)

I have been sensitized to this difference of presentation while studying the Zeiss x32 FLs. It always bothered me that it was constantly shown with the eyecups pulled out. Personally, I need them retracted, and I also feel the FL x32 looks better that way. With the SF, things look less critical. Nevertheless, the size difference between the x32SF and the FL becomes more apparent when the eyecups are retracted.

At any rate the new x32 SF looks very classy with its eyecups retracted. :t:

Hi Robert,

Actually the photo was taken by me and yes I made sure the eyecups were retracted to allow for a proper comparison. It might be the 32 is exaggerated in size a little due to the wide angle lens I used.

Lee

Chosun, I agree the MHG is a great size and ergo-friendly package for a full-size bin.

Bill

I wonder what real ergonomically designed binoculars would look like!
They all seem to be designed for perfectly flat faced people..
by the same people who design cameras for people with no nose!

I am going to guess they are going to ask over $2,700 for the X32 (I will give Bill credit for this nick name, we all know what it describes - code name X32=Zeiss SF 8X32.
This thread is generating free advertising for Zeiss, I think some $$ should be provided to BF.

Andy W.

Pretty close guess, at £2065 for the 8/32 that's about 2700 US $.

I am going to guess they are going to ask over $2,700 for the X32 (I will give Bill credit for this nick name, we all know what it describes - code name X32=Zeiss SF 8X32.
This thread is generating free advertising for Zeiss, I think some $$ should be provided to BF.

Andy W.

After putting an 8x32 binocular on the market priced at nearly $3000.00 (!) Zeiss might end up not making enough profits from it to donate very much money at all to Bird Forum.:eek!:

Bob

Last edited:
After putting an 8x32 binocular on the market priced at nearly $3000.00 (!) Zeiss might end up not making enough profits from it to donate very much money at all to Bird Forum.:eek!:

Bob

Lets wait and see what USA dealers actually price at.

Lee

Having spent many decades in technical sales (but not in optics) in principal if you are a little afraid of your competitor's product then you price underneath it to attract the customers. If you are confident in the capabilities of your product you price according to these capabilities not the price of your competitor. It will be interesting to see where Zeiss will pitch SF32.

Lee

Bob see my post above.

Lee

From the internal view below it looks like the optical design of the 32mm SFs is quite a departure from the 42mm models. There is a new 5 group eyepiece design (6-9 lenses?, cementings are hard to decipher) and it appears that the focusing lens has been moved to a novel position behind the prism. This binocular looks considerably more interesting to me now and I wonder if a similar redesign might eventually be applied to the 42mms.

Attachments

• Zeiss ErgoBalance.jpg
    Zeiss ErgoBalance.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Henry

Here is a better pic of the ocular, although I am not sure if it reveals any more.

Lee

Attachments

• SF32 Ocular.jpg
    SF32 Ocular.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 98
Thanks Lee.

I've been going through a low quality exploding animation on You Tube trying to get a better idea of the design. It looks like there's a fixed triplet up front and the focusing lens behind the prism (if that's what it is?) looks more concave than convex, so maybe the objective has completely abandoned the doublet + positive focusing lens of the 42mm SFs.

A nice clear diagram of the design would be helpful. If you see anything like that, please share.

Henry

Here is a better pic of the ocular, although I am not sure if it reveals any more.

Lee

I have tried the same, but think I managed to copy it when the lenses were further apart in that animated display.

Attachments

• 06-03-2020 11-12-37.jpg
    06-03-2020 11-12-37.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 66
Thanks Robert.

I went through an HD version of the animation, which completely altered my interpretation of the layout. Now I think the objective and focuser resemble some early Swaro SLC designs from about 30 years ago. There appears to be a mildly positive fixed singlet up front followed closely by a moving doublet, which acts both as the last two elements of an air-spaced triplet and as the focuser. What I thought might have been the focusing element behind the prism (because I couldn't seem to find one anywhere else) looks now like it's the field flattener of a very complex eyepiece with 6 groups and I think 8 elements (but it could be 7 or even 9). One thing is pretty certain, even if the details continue to change: the objective and eyepiece designs are quite different to the 42mm SF models. That's it until I change my mind or Zeiss provides us with an old fashioned unambiguous cutaway diagram.

Henry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back