Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New MeoStar B1 Plus Binoculars

Old Friday 13th March 2020, 07:31   #1
Troubador

New MeoStar B1 Plus Binoculars

Following the launch of the MeoStar B1.1s last year, with the revised dioptre adjuster, Meopta has re-launched this as MeoStar B1 Plus with new armour. They were launched at SHOT Show this year and feature in the Meopta news magazine Meonews.

Meopta binos have at last acquired MeoLux coatings to replace the MeoBright coatings. MeoLux coatings have been around for several years on Meopta riflescopes but I am sure this is their first application on binoculars. In addition Meopta’s rain-shedding coating MeoShield is here replaced by MeoDrop. There are no other specification changes compared with B1.1 or B1.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1P2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	720908  Click image for larger version

Name:	B1P1Red.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	720909  

Last edited by Troubador : Friday 13th March 2020 at 13:02.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 12:01   #2
jgraider

Thanks for the info Lee. I think that is a good looking binocular. I'm a huge Meopta fan, but I'm a little puzzled in that the new Meopro Air (dual hinge) bino coming out this Summer has the exact same optics as the Meostar HD, and the first retail price estimate we saw were just under $1000, once again putting it square in Meostar range. Not sure what they are thinking?
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 12:21   #3
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
Thanks for the info Lee. I think that is a good looking binocular. I'm a huge Meopta fan, but I'm a little puzzled in that the new Meopro Air (dual hinge) bino coming out this Summer has the exact same optics as the Meostar HD, and the first retail price estimate we saw were just under $1000, once again putting it square in Meostar range. Not sure what they are thinking?
Hi JG

First off the bat I agree these develpments are intruiging if not downright puzzling.

But I don't think we know the new MeoPro Air has the same optics as the MeoStar because although the fov of the two 10x42s isn't that different, the eye relief of the Air is 18mm which is significantly different from the B1.1's 15mm suggesting optical differences.

The MSRP of the MeoStar 10x is $1300 but dealers discount down to $1,000, so the MeoPro Air with MSRP of $1000 may well end up on dealers' shelves at $800-ish so there should be clear air between them, retail price-wise.

Lee
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 14:14   #4
jgraider

The Meopta reps at SHOT told Dougatcamerland that the Meopro Air had the exact same glass as the Meostar HD, so that's what I'm going by.

Is this B1 Plus edition any upgrade from the Meostar HD genII?
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 14:31   #5
Torview

Not sure I like the way the focus wheel seems lower than the armour in front of it.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 14:57   #6
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraider View Post
The Meopta reps at SHOT told Dougatcamerland that the Meopro Air had the exact same glass as the Meostar HD, so that's what I'm going by.

Is this B1 Plus edition any upgrade from the Meostar HD genII?
Thanks for clarifying that JG, but a bino might use the same type of HD glass, typically in the second element of the objective, but this doesn't mean that the entire optical system is the same.

My contact says there are no specification changes from B1.1 other than the coatings and armour.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Friday 13th March 2020 at 15:29.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 15:00   #7
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Not sure I like the way the focus wheel seems lower than the armour in front of it.
Looks the same as the original B1.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2843_meostar10x42_3.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	720916  
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 15:06   #8
bartd

The new MeoPro Air binos have MeoStar quality HDED glass that will give you MeoStar bino clarity. I have yet to look through a pair so that is all I have to go on right now. I do know that Meopta will not sell you short and if they tell you the clarity is the same, it is.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 15:49   #9
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartd View Post
The new MeoPro Air binos have MeoStar quality HDED glass that will give you MeoStar bino clarity. I have yet to look through a pair so that is all I have to go on right now. I do know that Meopta will not sell you short and if they tell you the clarity is the same, it is.

No doubt, and good post. I don't know how to make this more clear.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 16:05   #10
Troubador

Bartd; I do know that Meopta will not sell you short and if they tell you the clarity is the same, it is.[/quote]

Agreed.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Friday 13th March 2020 at 16:26.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 17:05   #11
tenex

All these purely minor tweaks (B1.1, B1+) are confusing and seem hardly worthwhile. For those who even know the name Meopta...
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 18:10   #12
Torview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Looks the same as the original B1.

Lee
Maybe, but the new rubber seems to plateau more to my eyes, the old B1 seems more sculpted.

John.
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 18:54   #13
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
All these purely minor tweaks (B1.1, B1+) are confusing and seem hardly worthwhile. For those who even know the name Meopta...

Zeiss obviously knew the name Meopta, since Meopta was their OEM on several products over the years, huh?
Old Friday 13th March 2020, 22:22   #14
John A Roberts

To get an idea of where the MeoPro Air sits in the Meopta range, see the nominal retail pricing by Meopta
I’ve attached:
- a page from the 2019/ 2020 price list that’s in Euros (currently add 10% to approximate USD), and
- a post from the Meopta Sport Optics Facebook page, showing the US pricing for the MeoPro Air

So comparing the various 10x42’s:
- MeoStar B1.1 at around $1,250 US (and slightly more for the B1 Plus when it becomes available? compare the B1 and B1.1 pricing in the list)
- MeoPro Air at $999 US
- MeoPro HD at around $650 US
Though of course actual pricing may vary

And the above suggests that while the Air may use ‘the exact same glass’ as the B1, it most probably has different optical detail
e.g. the pattern of lens groups and spacings, and individual lens thicknesses and curvature
(it would seem very strange to pay 25% more for the B1, just for a different housing and mechanics)

I've also attached an enlarged version of the B1 Plus image from Lee's post. It may give some a better idea of the changes

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019: 2020 pricing.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	720961  Click image for larger version

Name:	Meopta Air.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	720962  Click image for larger version

Name:	Enlarged B1 Plus.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	720963  

Last edited by John A Roberts : Friday 13th March 2020 at 23:45.
Old Saturday 14th March 2020, 00:23   #15
jgraider

Thanks for the details John. The pricing, even in your example, still baffles me though. The current retail price for the Meostar HD is $999. Why would they all of the sudden raise the price $300, just because the Air is now $999?
Old Saturday 14th March 2020, 02:25   #16
John A Roberts

Hi JG,

I mainly wanted to provide a like-to-like-to-like comparison. But you're of course right, the actual retail often differs markedly
e.g. on the BH Photo site, for the 10x40's the pricing is currently:
- B1.1 at $999.95
- MeoPro HD at $449

So presumedly the Air will be somewhere in between: perhaps sub-$800 such as $799?

John
Old Saturday 14th March 2020, 06:20   #17
Troubador

Quote:

The MSRP of the MeoStar 10x is $1300 but dealers discount down to $1,000, so the MeoPro Air with MSRP of $1000 may well end up on dealers' shelves at $800-ish so there should be clear air between them, retail price-wise.

Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A Roberts View Post
Hi JG,

I mainly wanted to provide a like-to-like-to-like comparison. But you're of course right, the actual retail often differs markedly
e.g. on the BH Photo site, for the 10x40's the pricing is currently:
- B1.1 at $999.95
- MeoPro HD at $449

So presumedly the Air will be somewhere in between: perhaps sub-$800 such as $799?

John
Thanks for this John, we both ended up with an estimate of $799/$800 if by different routes.

Lee
Old Saturday 14th March 2020, 18:22   #18
henry link

Quote:

Meopta binos have at last acquired MeoLux coatings to replace the MeoBright coatings. MeoLux coatings have been around for several years on Meopta riflescopes but I am sure this is their first application on binoculars....

Lee
That's a good development. Using the light transmission graphs from the 2018 catalogue I speculated in another thread that the improvement in light transmission from changing to MeoLux should be about +2% at 550 nm, +3% at 650 nm and +4-5% at 450 nm for a complex binocular. Hopefully they'll make the same change to the S2 scope.
Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 06:52   #19
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
That's a good development. Using the light transmission graphs from the 2018 catalogue I speculated in another thread that the improvement in light transmission from changing to MeoLux should be about +2% at 550 nm, +3% at 650 nm and +4-5% at 450 nm for a complex binocular. Hopefully they'll make the same change to the S2 scope.
Good point about the S2 Henry.

Lee
Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 14:24   #20
tenex

Re: Meopro Air... Zeiss & Leica have both adopted open-bridge design as a (derivative) signature style for their top models. But at Meopta it's appearing on a second-tier model. Different thinking, somehow. Or is there something else about the Air that's supposed to target birders rather than hunters?
Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 17:23   #21
jgraider

Birders aren't the primary target I don't think.
Old Monday 16th March 2020, 03:15   #22
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry link View Post
Henry:
I suppose we should all should know is what the term MeoLux means.
So, it would be good if you would help by telling us more on how you found those large differences in transmission numbers.
Jerry
Old Monday 16th March 2020, 15:13   #23
bartd

I am not sure if Meopta has a primary market. They strive to make a very good bino that will leave the user with no regrets. I have the MorStar B1 10x50's and they are IMHO better than my other Euro bino's that cost more than double.
I know the new for 2020 Air bino's have confused a lot of folks but I believe they will find their nitch and again, not leave the customer with any regrets.
Old Monday 16th March 2020, 17:12   #24
henry link

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Henry:
I suppose we should all should know is what the term MeoLux means.
So, it would be good if you would help by telling us more on how you found those large differences in transmission numbers.
Jerry
My numbers, Jerry, but they come from sources in the 2019 Meopta catalogue. There's a graph showing the difference between rifle scopes using MeoLux vs MeoBright and in the technical data at the end of the catalogue there are Day (550 nm) and Night (480 nm) transmission specs for all Meopta Products. Maybe the 2020 catalogue will have revised transmission specs for the Meostar binoculars after the coating upgrade.

Henry

Last edited by henry link : Monday 16th March 2020 at 17:23.
Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 08:54   #25
Troubador

Here is the diagram referred to by Henry.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MeoCoat.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	721369  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: