Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I want to argue about Brexit!

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 06:40   #26
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I most certainly did, Arthur. I mis-translated, Im reading a Spanish translation just to try to keep my mind limber. Ive never read anything else by Tuchman but I think she wrote a highly-regarded book about Gettysburg.
Sancho this is a highly original response to Covid-19-induced isolation: read books in a Spanish translation!

Can anybody out there beat that? Is anybody writing poetry in Serbo-Croat?

Seriously, what a great way to keep the old grey-matter functioning.

Lee
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 08:03   #27
andyadcock

Trump and a bipartisan USA in times of need

This is an extremely well written piece and exposes the folies and egotism of a Trump government which, unfathomably, is enjoying a resurgence in ratings.

It's not one sided, Democrats are as guilty as Republicans, it's an unseemly, vulgar scenario in what is held up as the paragon of the developed World.

Americas reputation is taking a huge hit through it's politicians reaction to this virus, as if voting in Trump hadn't already done enough damage to the nations image. I'm not sure the World will see America the same way ever again after this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52012049

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 25th March 2020 at 09:13.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 12:31   #28
dries1

The last president "Zero" caused major damage to the US. I concur on how both Republicans and Democrats are behaving, but the USA will be fine. I just can't put my eyes to read the BBC, their news of what is going on here in the US is irrelevant, much like what is pushed out from.CNN, NBC, CBS. And you have your opinion of Trump, and I have mine of your Mayor of London, good luck.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 13:44   #29
Mysticete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
The last president "Zero" caused major damage to the US. I concur on how both Republicans and Democrats are behaving, but the USA will be fine. I just can't put my eyes to read the BBC, their news of what is going on here in the US is irrelevant, much like what is pushed out from.CNN, NBC, CBS. And you have your opinion of Trump, and I have mine of your Mayor of London, good luck.

Andy W.
Ever consider that if all of the news sources disagree with you (except for Fox of course), than perhaps you are the one with the faulty view on the world?
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 14:08   #30
andyadcock

Quote:

Andy W.
The Mayor of London, doesn't drive the Middle East peace policy, start trade wars which have global effect or unilaterally de-recognise treaties and climate accords or crap all over supposed allies, neither does he insult other heads of state on his twitter feed.

He's also not a pathological liar, narcisist, perpetrator of sexual assault or obstructor of justice............

I think Americans are the ones needing the luck right now underyour supreme leader, the seld described 'stable genius'.

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 25th March 2020 at 14:12.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 14:11   #31
Deb Burhinus

Quote:
...I just can't put my eyes to read the BBC, their news of what is going on here in the US is irrelevant ...
I wish it was, but Trump has had such a dire impact on the global stage with his warped brand of isolationism and bromances with despots, media coverage from the perspective of those living beyond the US is very relevant indeed.

Quote:
And you have your opinion of Trump ...
...it’s generally unprintable (EDIT I see Andy wasn’t bound by the same constraints) but I do respect your democratic right to vote for him.

Quote:
and I have mine of your Mayor of London ...
Well really, that’s just schoolyard ‘ Na-nana-naa-nah! ’
http://www.osme.org
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 15:30   #32
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
The Mayor of London, doesn't drive the Middle East peace policy, start trade wars which have global effect or unilaterally de-recognise treaties and climate accords or crap all over supposed allies, neither does he insult other heads of state on his twitter feed.

He's also not a pathological liar, narcisist, perpetrator of sexual assault or obstructor of justice............

I think Americans are the ones needing the luck right now underyour supreme leader, the seld described 'stable genius'.
Hello Andy,

You won't get any arguments from me but at least the Democrats have kept a massive stimulus package from becoming an unaccountable slush fund for POTUS.

Keep safe,
Arthur
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 15:44   #33
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello Deb,

I should add that POTUS' hollowing of the CDC, and removing an epidemic monitoring team from China has affected the whole world adversely.

Forty four years, ago, President Ford refused federal aid to New York City, which was on the brink of bankruptcy. Somewhat unfairly, the New York Daily News ran the headline: Ford to City, Drop dead. Yesterday, our Governor Cuomo asked for more help with medical supplies like ventilators, which would be returned or handed over to others when the need arose. POTUS' reply was, "New York should get its own." In these circumstances, that was the equivalent of "Drop dead New York!"

POTUS' is advocating an end to shut downs by Easter, which is being called, "hare-brained" by a local tabloid.

Keep safe,
Arthur

Last edited by Pinewood : Wednesday 25th March 2020 at 16:44.
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 16:26   #34
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
. . .but at least the Democrats have kept a massive stimulus package from becoming an unaccountable slush fund for POTUS
Indeed they have, much to my surprise and delight. The downside, of course, is that it will provide Dumbo even more incentive to prematurely re-open the economy.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

Last edited by fugl : Wednesday 25th March 2020 at 16:38.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 16:28   #35
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Sancho this is a highly original response to Covid-19-induced isolation: read books in a Spanish translation!

Can anybody out there beat that? Is anybody writing poetry in Serbo-Croat?

Seriously, what a great way to keep the old grey-matter functioning.

Lee
Ah no, Lee, its more a case of trying to get it to function again! I have to do it, to stop getting rusty. Like a lot of folk on BF, Im a teacher. Spanish mostly, but I havent lived there for nearly thirty years, so I have to do something to keep ahead of my students!
Now Im off down to the nearby wood (maintaining social distancing, obviously...its devoid of people anyway) to listen to birds and to gather wild garlic leaves for salad and stir-fries. Its just about to break out in bloom, I love it in the wood, and in my dinner!

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 16:48   #36
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Indeed they have, much to my surprise and delight. The downside, of course, is that it will provide Dumbo even more incentive to prematurely re-open the economy.
Hello Fugl,

I doubt that he has the power to end shut downs and lock downs, as that power still resides with the states. I wonder if he even has the power to do so in Washington, D.C., although he could call government workers back.

Keep safe,
Arthur
Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 18:10   #37
dries1

Sorry I don't need luck I will be fine over here in the USA. Concentrate on Brexit and your shores. I have traveled much in my life and I have my own view of the world, I don't follow the mob.

Andy W.

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 19:12   #38
fugl
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
...I don't follow the mob.
Of course not, Dumbo heads a cult, not a mob. . ..

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 25th March 2020, 19:53   #39
dries1

What ever you want to call it on the left coast.
Arthur, the stimulus package offered from the Dems was full of unnecessary items not even related to the immediate needs, so we agree to disagree.

Andy W.

Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:17   #40
Xenospiza
Undescribed

I think this Dutch social-democrat politician (and former home secretary) understands the British voter better than any German journalist.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a0e8b0fda7_roon.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	722533  
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:42   #41
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenospiza View Post
I think this Dutch social-democrat politician (and former home secretary) understands the British voter better than any German journalist.
Well the rest of Europe certainly underestimated us and our need to 'belong' to the cartel.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 20:19   #42
Xenospiza
Undescribed

Nah, we'll just exchange you for Albania and North-Macedonia and all will be fine.

Guy says so!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: