Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trumps Inaugural

Closed Thread

Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 08:20   #1451
Pam_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugl View Post
Thank you for the quiz.

I scored 6...I am deemed normal!

'Flying High' My Blog

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 09:06   #1452
Farnboro John

I also got 6, but am unconvinced of the value of being deemed normal by the New York Times or any other media. Or Donald J Trump.

John
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 09:56   #1453
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I also got 6, but am unconvinced of the value of being deemed normal by the New York Times or any other media. Or Donald J Trump.

John
I got 6 too, got first and most obvious one wrong!
Old Thursday 26th March 2020, 10:19   #1454
andyadcock

Trumps man in London, Woody Johnson, is blaming China for witholding information about the virus and reports state that the virus has been privately nicknamed the "kung flu".

I genuinely believe that real statesmanship and diplomcy, is a lost art in the US.
Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 08:12   #1455
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

All the Craziest Things About America Are Being Highlighted by This Virus

https://themindunleashed.com/2020/03...aEW5JyW5crYSP8

"The corporate cronyism of America’s political system has been highlighted with a massive kleptocratic multitrillion-dollar corporate bailout of which actual Americans are only receiving a tiny fraction."

"America’s income and wealth inequality is being highlighted in a nation suffering from all of the above problems while most Americans were already unable to afford a mere $1,000 emergency expense. A one-time $1,200 payment to a population already stretched that thin guarantees that millions will be plunged into crushing debt and destitution in a nation with a historically unprecedented billionaire class raking in even more unearned wealth.

The insanity of America’s war machine has been highlighted as awareness grows during a global health emergency that government military spending negatively impacts government healthcare spending and the US has the most bloated military budget on the planet."

"America’s fake political system has been highlighted as the Democratic Party’s presumptive nominee completely vanished for a week and then returned to deliver an embarrassing string of befuddled interviews upon his return, reminding the nation once again that the Democrats are running an actual, literal dementia patient for the most powerful elected office in the world. Biden will of course be running against an incoherent reality TV star who only last week decided that the virus is indeed a real problem which needs to be seriously addressed, and who now already wants to begin rolling back the inadequate measures his administration implemented far too late. The debates between two men who don’t understand what they’re doing and can’t string a sentence together between them will soon be broadcast around the world for all of civilization to behold." .......

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 18:51   #1456
fugl
Forum Member

Way to go, Dumbo fans—

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/t...e=articleShare
Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 20:01   #1457
andyadcock

Quote:
Don't forget that Fauci must be wrong because Trump 'has a hunch'......to go with the bone spurs bewteen his ears.

Just another nail in America's image, not that Trump supporters care.

Last edited by andyadcock : Saturday 28th March 2020 at 20:04.
Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 20:08   #1458
John Cantelo

I've been to the USA several times (although not recently). I liked the people I met, I liked the scenery and the birds. I've taken American birders out in the UK a number of times & liked them too. Now I find myself very fearful for them all. It seems to me that this dreadful virus will prove to be a 'perfect storm'. They have the world's most expensive and very technically advanced medical system but one that does not include millions of Americans. No or poor sick pay leaves many with no option but to work when ill increasing the danger of spreading the contagion. There's also a widespread denial of science and amongst many fundamentalist Christians an almost Medieval attitude towards disease. There's an ingrained gun culture that will make the sort of 'lockdown' (our only recourse until a vaccination becomes available as we have seen in Europe and elsewhere) extremely difficult or impossible to enforce. Such a problematic scenario would daunt and test any President. It's tragic then, that at this time of dire emergency they have a President who sees everything through the prism of his ego, who disastrously downplayed (and continues to downplay) the danger his country is facing, who cannot (or will not) listen to medical/scientific advice, who acts on his 'feelings', who misinforms and misleads his nation and who seems willing to give or withhold federal support as a political weapon. Watching from afar Trump's performance looks like the blackest of comedies but is ripe to turn into a tragedy of historic proportions. I hope I'm wrong and that America shows the kind of organisation, genius for invention and talent for the mobilisation of resources that they have in the past but with the captain asleep at the wheel, I can't see how it can happen. Keep safe & keep well.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/

Last edited by John Cantelo : Saturday 28th March 2020 at 20:11.
Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 21:25   #1459
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

I second John Cantelo's post. I have many friends and relatives in the U.S., of all shades of political opinion, and fear for them. Most are in NY/NJ. I also owe a debt to the U.S. because as a student in the early '80s I could never have finished my studies were it not for J1 visa. (Thank you, Union Club of NY on Park and 69th, where I worked as a gentleman's valet! Great job, that, wish I had it now!). But the combinations John speaks of above look like a lot of powder kegs assembled together, Guy Fawkes style. Whatever happens, the conspiracists will use to their advantage, I fear.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 21:57   #1460
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I've been to the USA several times (although not recently). I liked the people I met, I liked the scenery and the birds. I've taken American birders out in the UK a number of times & liked them too. Now I find myself very fearful for them all. It seems to me that this dreadful virus will prove to be a 'perfect storm'. They have the world's most expensive and very technically advanced medical system but one that does not include millions of Americans. No or poor sick pay leaves many with no option but to work when ill increasing the danger of spreading the contagion. There's also a widespread denial of science and amongst many fundamentalist Christians an almost Medieval attitude towards disease. There's an ingrained gun culture that will make the sort of 'lockdown' (our only recourse until a vaccination becomes available as we have seen in Europe and elsewhere) extremely difficult or impossible to enforce. Such a problematic scenario would daunt and test any President. It's tragic then, that at this time of dire emergency they have a President who sees everything through the prism of his ego, who disastrously downplayed (and continues to downplay) the danger his country is facing, who cannot (or will not) listen to medical/scientific advice, who acts on his 'feelings', who misinforms and misleads his nation and who seems willing to give or withhold federal support as a political weapon. Watching from afar Trump's performance looks like the blackest of comedies but is ripe to turn into a tragedy of historic proportions. I hope I'm wrong and that America shows the kind of organisation, genius for invention and talent for the mobilisation of resources that they have in the past but with the captain asleep at the wheel, I can't see how it can happen. Keep safe & keep well.
A very fair appraisal in many respects but I don’t know that our “gun culture” is likely to pose all that much of a problem given that it’s most prevalent in thinly populated rural areas where the virus should be relatively easy to contain and where the stakes for not doing so are comparatively small if it isn’t (my God, in point of callousness I’m starting to sound like poor old tenex in the other thread!).

Trump is certainly the wrong-man-in-the-wrong-place and, I fear, more than capable of deliberately fostering disruption and chaos in order fatten his re-election chances. He’s admitted in the past to yearning for President-for-life status and what better means to this end now than a prolonged period of plague conditions and economic collapse? I’ve long worried (as have many other people) that he’d start a last-minute war for electoral advantage but the pandemic if properly exploited would doubtless serve as well.

The key to the future at this stage is the strength of our institutions under crisis conditions. Personally, I’m not optimistic that a craven senate and poisoned judiciary are up to the job and am at least as frightened by the possible political consequences of the virus as by the medical ones. What times we live in. . ..

Last edited by fugl : Saturday 28th March 2020 at 22:16.
Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 22:13   #1461
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
. . (Thank you, Union Club of NY on Park and 69th, where I worked as a gentleman's valet! Great job, that, wish I had it now!).
Really, full-bore gentleman’s personal gentleman: laying out the clothes, tying the cravat, decrusting the toast, ironing the newspaper? What an interesting bit of biography. . .. A great job then, perhaps, but surely a dangerous one now in these times of 6-ft radii?

Last edited by fugl : Saturday 28th March 2020 at 23:56.
Old Saturday 28th March 2020, 23:53   #1462
fugl
Forum Member

Dumbo wants his name on the checks—

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...us-checks.html
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 10:25   #1463
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Really, full-bore gentleman’s personal gentleman: laying out the clothes, tying the cravat, decrusting the toast, ironing the newspaper? What an interesting bit of biography. . .. A great job then, perhaps, but surely a dangerous one now in these times of 6-ft radii?
A introduction to a weird world it was, I didn't even know what 'W.A.S.P.' meant when I started there. Yes, I was rather the 20-year old O'Jeeves to a lot of Van Woosters.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 10:32   #1464
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
A introduction to a weird world it was, I didn't even know what 'W.A.S.P.' meant when I started there. Yes, I was rather the 20-year old O'Jeeves to a lot of Van Woosters.
Hello Sancho,

Are you implying that the Club members were WASPs and New Yorkers of old Dutch families? Those folks would not be happy to meet socially with nouveau riche like our POTUS.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 11:53   #1465
andyadcock

America is way behind the 'benevolent benefactor' image that is being portayed by some rival nations. The 'America first' policy is one thing when it's purely economic but Trump has shown a callousness throughout this crisis, in his attitude to the need of other countries, maybe even some of his own States, no doubt with an eye on elections.

The story that he wanted to procure a vaccine 'for Americans only', showed him in a poor light and it gets no better.

China helped out in Italy and now, even Russia is sending help, including ventilators of which they say they have 40,000, to Venezuela and Cuba.

America only has friends when IT needs THEM, there is no reciprocity when the roles are reversed, look too at extraditions, a very one way street.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 13:34   #1466
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post

America only has friends when IT needs THEM, there is no reciprocity when the roles are reversed, look too at extraditions, a very one way street.
Hello Andy,

You are rather accurate in analysing POTUS but many Americans understand that generosity, think of the Marshall plan, and assistance, think of previous disasters around the world, is both morally correct and beneficial to our country.

Most Americans have great regard for international cooperation, whereas POTUS sees everything as short term transaction with winners and losers. POTUS' support for Brexit was about weakening the EU, which he called an "enemy," not just a competitor. ignoring our allies. He seemed to have following Putin on that. President Obama regarded the EU as important for European peace and as economically important, even to the USA. POTUS would love to force citizens of the UK to eat chlorinated chicken.

Regarding the extradition treaty, please, remind me which UK PM signed on to that treaty?

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited by Pinewood : Sunday 29th March 2020 at 13:38.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 15:17   #1467
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello Andy,

You are rather accurate in analysing POTUS but many Americans understand that generosity, think of the Marshall plan, and assistance, think of previous disasters around the world, is both morally correct and beneficial to our country.

Most Americans have great regard for international cooperation, whereas POTUS sees everything as short term transaction with winners and losers. POTUS' support for Brexit was about weakening the EU, which he called an "enemy," not just a competitor. ignoring our allies. He seemed to have following Putin on that. President Obama regarded the EU as important for European peace and as economically important, even to the USA. POTUS would love to force citizens of the UK to eat chlorinated chicken.

Regarding the extradition treaty, please, remind me which UK PM signed on to that treaty?

Stay safe,

Arthur
It doesn't matter who signed the treaty, it has to be applied evenly, by both sides, which it is not.

Great pressure is brought th bear in order to try and force one of our Royals to appear before a US whilst a woman guilty of killing a teenager by dangerous driving, is allowed to skip the UK with US government collusion and avoids all charges.

The easiest way to stay safe in parts of the UK, is to avoid driving near any US bases where there are numerus incidents of service personel, driving on the wrong side of the road. One such incident, resulting in the death of a teenager.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 16:52   #1468
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
It doesn't matter who signed the treaty, it has to be applied evenly, by both sides, which it is not.
Hello,

The treaty was unequal to begin with: the USA has a lower standard to meet. My research indicated that Tony Blair agreed to the treaty during W's term. I believe that Blair was considered by many in the UK as "Bush's lapdog."

Keep safe,
Arthur
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 18:49   #1469
litebeam

Quote:
Dumbo wants his name on the checks—

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...us-checks.html

So what.
Is anyone really surprised by this?
Newsflash, Trump loves himself.
So does Obama, Cuomo, Hillary etc. Some are far more cryptic in their approach to self-love than others. Before Trump I didn't think it possible to see more self-adoration than Obama referring to himself often scores of times in a single speech. Alas, O can't hold a candle to DJT.

Slate, et al continues to try to whittle away at that 1-2% demographic that may unseat the guy. Orange Guy bad!
That's what this piece and 99% of all of them from the likes of NYT, WAPO, the Atlantic are all about.

If Trump manages this Covid mess with reasonable aplomb and the economy isn't in tatters he will be re-elected handily.
Why? The alternative (which could change based on Biden's lack of mental acuity) sucks.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 18:57   #1470
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
. . .I believe that Blair was considered by many in the UK as "Bush's lapdog.". . .
Just as Johnson is considered by many to be Trump’s today. Interesting how the “special relationship” continues to unfold. . ..
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:09   #1471
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Quote:
Just as Johnson is considered by many to be Trump’s today. Interesting how the “special relationship” continues to unfold. . ..
Hello Fugl,

What "special relationship" is that? I think it is a figment of the imagination in the UK. Of course, the UK is part of the five eyes (FVEY_ intelligence consortium along with the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand but that does not make the special.

Keep safe,
Arthur
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:25   #1472
John Cantelo

Quote:
A very fair appraisal in many respects but I don’t know that our “gun culture” is likely to pose all that much of a problem given that it’s most prevalent in thinly populated rural areas where the virus should be relatively easy to contain and where the stakes for not doing so are comparatively small if it isn’t (my God, in point of callousness I’m starting to sound like poor old tenex in the other thread!).
Point taken but whilst the most rabid 'guns-n-God' brigade may live of thinly populated areas there's still plenty of guns to go around elsewhere. Then again my judgement might be skewed by a typical Englishman's dislike of guns and gun fetishes.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:35   #1473
andyadcock

Quote:
You meant unravel surely?
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:39   #1474
andyadcock

Quote:
Hello Fugl,

What "special relationship" is that? I think it is a figment of the imagination in the UK. Of course, the UK is part of the five eyes (FVEY_ intelligence consortium along with the USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand but that does not make the special.

Keep safe,
Arthur
Don't you believe that for one minute, anyone here with even the loosest grip on reality, knows exactly where we stand regarding the 'special relationship'.

It's a term which is rolled out ad nauseum and people cringe when they here it here now.
Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 19:41   #1475
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Point taken but whilst the most rabid 'guns-n-God' brigade may live of thinly populated areas there's still plenty of guns to go around elsewhere. Then again my judgement might be skewed by a typical Englishman's dislike of guns and gun fetishes.
Yes, of course, there are guns everywhere here—I have a couple myself—and in conditions of serious breakdown they could be a real problem. Short of that, however, I don’t think they’re likely to be a matter of serious concern—that is more so than they already are—outside of “survivalist” country in parts of the South and the inter-mountain West.
Advertisement
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: