Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2020

Old Sunday 29th March 2020, 18:14   #76
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Funny how we've managed to date. Never in the course of my birding career did I have a problem understanding that small insectivorous birds from the Old World were not closely related to small insectivorous birds from the New World. Or even that a Wood Warbler was not the same as any of the wood warblers.

I get tired of this nonsensical race to the bottom in assessing people's capacity to not be confused by similarity. Stability in names is a thousand times more important than uniformity. And it's still Bearded Tit.

John
Actually, you'd be surprised. On wiki commons, I've found (and dealt with, so they're not there any more) several Erithacus rubecula pics put in Category:Turdus migratorius, and vice-versa. And numerous other examples with other cases of incorrect vernacular name sorting. You might know enough not to be confused, but an awful lot of people don't, sadly.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 09:23   #77
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Actually, you'd be surprised. On wiki commons, I've found (and dealt with, so they're not there any more) several Erithacus rubecula pics put in Category:Turdus migratorius, and vice-versa. And numerous other examples with other cases of incorrect vernacular name sorting. You might know enough not to be confused, but an awful lot of people don't, sadly.
I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't be surprised if half the errors are due to non-birders (a different group than those we are talking about here, who are capable of more and grosser errors than this) and use of insufficient of the name. Only Erithacus rubecula is a Robin: Turdus migratorius is an American Robin and requires the use of its whole name.

You can't legislate for ignorance, so it's not a consideration in creation of names.

John
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 11:02   #78
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't be surprised if half the errors are due to non-birders (a different group than those we are talking about here, who are capable of more and grosser errors than this) and use of insufficient of the name. Only Erithacus rubecula is a Robin: Turdus migratorius is an American Robin and requires the use of its whole name.

You can't legislate for ignorance, so it's not a consideration in creation of names.

John
You mean it shouldn't be.
Old Monday 30th March 2020, 12:01   #79
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadcock View Post
You mean it shouldn't be.
I do, thank you Andy. In my mind it's not.

John
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 10:37   #80
Peter Kovalik

Proposals 2020-D
2020-D-1: Revise the linear sequence of the Trochilini
2020-D-2: Add Graylag Goose Anser anser to the US list
2020-D-3: Add Eurasian Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus to the US list
2020-D-4: Add European Golden-Plover Pluvialis apricaria to the US list
2020-D-5: Add Tahiti Petrel Pseudobulweria rostrata to the US list
2020-D-6: Add Dark-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus melacoryphus to the US list
2020-D-7: Add Red-backed Shrike Lanius collurio to (a) the Main List or (b) the Appendix
2020-D-8: Add Long-legged Buzzard Buteo rufinus to the Main List
2020-D-9: Retain the English name Comb Duck for Sarkidiornis sylvicola

[pdf]
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 12:34   #81
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kovalik View Post
An error in the text:
Quote:
The more eastern, nominate subspecies is much larger, and the plumage variation includes a dark morph, which is more frequent in the eastern part of its range (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001). More western rufinus is significantly smaller and averages a paler, more rufous belly, and it does not have a dark morph (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001).
Should read:
Quote:
The more eastern, nominate subspecies is much larger, and the plumage variation includes a dark morph, which is more frequent in the eastern part of its range (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001). More western cirtensis is significantly smaller and averages a paler, more rufous belly, and it does not have a dark morph (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001).
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 13:57   #82
Mysticete

not much new hear, other than confirmation that the Comb Duck split passed, and hummingbirds did get reorganized.
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Thursday 2nd April 2020, 14:45   #83
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
not much new hear, other than confirmation that the Comb Duck split passed, and hummingbirds did get reorganized.
Hear, hear.............
Old Friday 3rd April 2020, 13:55   #84
Mysticete

Yes I know...I am horrible at editing...I do know the difference between here and hear
Mammal: 230 Herp: 174
Old Friday 3rd April 2020, 14:06   #85
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticete View Post
Yes I know...I am horrible at editing...I do know the difference between here and hear
In the old days of 'snail mail', I once did it in a letter to a German girl and was soundly ridiculed for it!
Old Sunday 5th April 2020, 03:21   #86
mb1848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kovalik
An error in the text:
Quote:
The more eastern, nominate subspecies is much larger, and the plumage variation includes a dark morph, which is more frequent in the eastern part of its range (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001). More western rufinus is significantly smaller and averages a paler, more rufous belly, and it does not have a dark morph (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001).
Should read:
Quote:
The more eastern, nominate subspecies is much larger, and the plumage variation includes a dark morph, which is more frequent in the eastern part of its range (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001). More western cirtensis is significantly smaller and averages a paler, more rufous belly, and it does not have a dark morph (Ferguson-Lees and Christie 2001).

Good catch!
The Key says “
L. Cirtensis of Cirta, Numidia (= Constantine, Algeria)”

B. rufinus fatherland is Das obere nubien etc basically Sudan along the Niles ad Ethiopia.
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/257/mode/1up .
Here is Vaillant 1850 F. cirtensis:
https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/473/mode/1up . only the drawing is his the text is from Loche and from 1867.
Info: https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/...e/405/mode/1up .
Vaillant is the son of the other one. He was a French soldier in Algeria in the 1840’s. The French army must have killed a lot of raptors in that campaign:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=386386 .
Are Sudan birds still considered B. rufinus? Even in America Algeria is west of Ethiopia.

Last edited by mb1848 : Sunday 5th April 2020 at 03:24.
Old Sunday 5th April 2020, 10:04   #87
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1848 View Post
Are Sudan birds still considered B. rufinus? Even in America Algeria is west of Ethiopia.
IOC10.1 states for cirtensis: Mauritania to Egypt and the Arabian Peninsula.

Jowers et al 2019 focused on the taxa within the Buzzard superspecies via a battery of DNA techniques. Amongst their conclusions is that taxon cirtensis is best considered an allospecies of Common Buzzard (comprising buteo, vulpinus), although it has two lines of ancestry, the other being Long-legged Buzzard (rufinus).
MJB
Reference
Jowers, MJ, S Sánchez-Ramírez, S Lopes, I Karyakin, V Dombrovski, A, Qninba, T Valkenburg, N Onofre, N Ferrand, P Beja, L, Palma and R Godinho. 2019. Unravelling population processes over the Late Pleistocene driving contemporary genetic divergence in Palearctic Buzzards, Mol. Phyl. Gen. & Evol. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2019.02.004
Old Sunday 5th April 2020, 20:53   #88
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Just to clarify, B. (rufinus / buteo) cirtensis is strictly resident, breeding in Africa north of the Sahara; B. r. rufinus is partially migrant, breeding SE Europe eastwards; the type locality of rufinus in Sudan / Ethiopia is in the wintering grounds, not the breeding area
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 10:42   #89
Norbert R.

It is not strictly resident as there are hybrids between cirtensis and Iberian buteo in southern Spain. The Strait of Gibraltar is apparently not an obstacle for the North African birds.
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 23:04   #90
mb1848

2020-D-5: Add Tahiti Petrel Pseudobulweria rostrata to the US list
A bird was also well-photographed off Hatteras, North Carolina, on 29 May 2018. I presume that
it has been accepted by the state committee, but I am unaware of a publication on it.
Bird Records Committee reports

Swick, Nate, et al.. 2019. 2018 Annual Report of the North Carolina Bird Records Committee. Chat 83:17–21
Tahiti Petrel (Pseudobulweria rostrata): Accepted. (18-15). Easily one of the most incredible bird sightings in North Carolina's ornithological history, an adult Tahiti Petrel was seen from a Seabirding pelagic in the Gulf Stream out of Hatteras (Dare) 29 May 2018. The NCBRC received and unanimously accepted a written description from Ed Corey with photos from Peter Flood and Kate Sutherland. This record represents the first record of this species for the Atlantic Ocean, let alone North Carolina, and by virtue of submitted photographs it is placed on the Definitive List.
Old Monday 6th April 2020, 23:26   #91
Mike Earp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1848 View Post
Swick, Nate, et al.. 2019. 2018 Annual Report of the North Carolina Bird Records Committee. Chat 83:17–21
Online here (currently accessible only by Carlina Bird Club members). The latest issue of Chat (84(1): 10–13, Winter 2020) includes "A Tahiti Petrel (Pseudobulweria rostrata) off Hatteras, North Carolina USA", a write-up of this extraordinary record by Peter Flood, Kate Sutherland and Brian Patteson. The cover includes a photo of the Tahiti Petrel offshore from Hatteras on 29 May 2018 by Peter Flood.
Old Tuesday 7th April 2020, 00:58   #92
mb1848

2020-D-2: Add Graylag Goose Anser anser to the US list
Here is the 17th Conn. state bird record report.
http://www.ctbirding.org/seventeenth-arcc-report .
And a funny Blog post about the Rhode Island goose that compares the two U.S. geese.
https://www.shorebirder.com/2017/01/...de-island.html .
Old Wednesday 8th April 2020, 23:32   #93
mb1848

2020-D-3: Add Eurasian Oystercatcher Haematopus ostralegus to the US list
This is a situation which makes it unfortunate that the AOS has abandoned subspecies:
https://americanornithology.org/publ...can-checklist/ .
Here they refer people to other checklists for updated subspecies. The 1995 ABA report accepting Euro Oystercatchers to ABA area does not cite a subspecies.
https://www.aba.org/wp-content/uploa...03/ccr1995.pdf .
But the 1957 5th AOU Checklist used H. o. occidentalis for the subspecies of the Greenland specimens.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Habi/habi00095a.jpg . Supposedly from the Orkneys.
Not sure why they did not cite H. o. m.
http://www.zoonomen.net/cit/RI/SP/Habi/habi00094a.jpg . Iceland.
The HBW do not use either subspecies so the Greenland birds are H. ostralegus ostralegus.
The Alaska Committee report diagnosed their oystercatcher as H. o. oscularis Swinhoe China.
http://www.universityofalaskamuseumb...0Committee.pdf .
EBird lists Russian and Kamchatka and Iceland oystercatcher groups??
Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 07:29   #94
andyadcock

IOC lists

ostarlegus - Iceland to Scandinavia and S Europe
longipes - Ukraine and Turkey to C Russia E Siberia to E Africa
buturlini - Kazakhstan to NW China to SW Asia and India
osculans - Kamchatka Peninsula, NE China, Korea to E China
Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 12:17   #95
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Andy, in Scandinavia we use ostralegus

Old Thursday 9th April 2020, 12:48   #96