• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

spotted fly still nr white hart can you spot it on shot taken with fuji 31fd without the scope

Attachments

• spot 3.jpg
    spot 3.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 72
Had a lovely walk around the goyt area today, from Derbyshire bridge carpark (Nr Cat & Fiddle), through to Errwood reservoir. Fantastic scenery and weather

Saw the following: Dozens of Meadow pipits, Goldfinch 3, Willow Warbler 5 but heard dozens more, Kestrel 2, Swallow 2, Wren 4, Chaffinch 10+, Pheasant 3, Treecreeper 2, Redstart 3m (Lifer for me), Pied Flycatcher 2, Grey Wagtail 3, Common Sandpiper2, Buzzard2, Blue tit, Woodpigeon, Nuthatch, Robin, Spotted flycatcher (year tick), Carrion Crow, Stonechat male

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_4422.JPG
    IMG_4422.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Another early start to try and catch the redstarts they seem to avoid my camara saw most of the same birds as B F B but no sign of the spotted flys heard the grasshopper warbler again but did not pursue it for fear of disturance managed a shot of the redstart today ,top of tree towards the sun B :)

Attachments

• redstart 5.jpg
    redstart 5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 62
Out again today with the prospect of a bad forcast i set of up the valley from home not many birds about but plenty of orchids in the valley below the old water tretment works and lots of butterflys finaly managed to catch up with a spotted fly in the valley on the path towards errwood hall from the far car park a couple of young curlew at the top end of the res made me think they may be wimbrell for a few moments <smaller than a curlew shorter beaks > but no such luck 4 commmarnt were sunning themselves aswell on the same bank also managed to see 2 common lizards sun bathing on wooden path bridges Not sure of the butterfly the spot is a bit blurred and the lizard looks in the family way on 2 thoughs thebutterfly could eveen be a moth

Attachments

• moth or what.jpg
    moth or what.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 50
  • spotty.jpg
    spotty.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 44
  • lizz.jpg
    lizz.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 43
saw my first local green woodpecker of the year yesterday at taxel just above the goyt valley no photo <heres one from 2 weeks ago in suffolk > B :)

Attachments

• green woodpecker 3.jpg
    green woodpecker 3.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 39
Out again for another long walk in the valley. Not really expecting much as the birding at this time of year can be difficult. Managed to hear but not see the green woodpecker just below the water treatment works. 2 nice red headed goosander were cruising the far bank on Fernilee reservoir. Plucky grey wagtail on the building below Errwood dam, brightened the morning.
Lots of walkers/dog walkers about. One errant dog managed to flush a woodcock from behind the Errwood Hall carpark. Further up the valley 3 Ravens flew about for 10 minutes or so, then disappeared off east. Only other birds of note were 5 or 6 red grouse (they made it through the glorious 12th). Pleasant day, ended in Buxton with a stroll through the pavillion gardens. Found a particularly pleasing wild flower meadow on Serpentine Walk.B :)

Attachments

• wildflower.jpg
    wildflower.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 48
Out walking in the valley again today not a lot about but met a guy that said he had seen a lesser spotted woodpecker , saw 2 ravens 3 kestrals a couple of grey wagtails heard a few red grouse and on the moors above derbyshire bridge a wheatear i though they had gone from the valley for this year but there is still at leest one hanging around although it was distant

Attachments

• wheatear 7.jpg
    wheatear 7.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 42
Another long walk in the valley still not a lot to report quite a few jays about with a family group alongside ferniee res , still a few swallows and house martins but most seem to be moving through heard a tawny owl been harressed by jays behind the yatch club , more meadow pipets about in small flocks , most interesting sight was 11 or 12 red grouse in formation flight over the moors just below the cat and fiddle road Another suprise was a dipper on the surpintine in buxton first i have seen there this walk was yesterday nad a nice suprise today while throwing bread to the trout in the goyt bottom of garden 2 kingfishers flew past :-O

out for a wshort walk today and saw 3 youg red legged partridge in taxel i know this is not a rare bird <i saw 10 of them together at broomhill flash on sunday > but these are the first ones i have seen localy, they are speading :t:

Out for a walk today this time from coombs res over the tops into goyt vally by errwood then up to pym chair then back by wingather rocks taxel moor and back into valley at taxel then home . The walk got off to a nice start with lots of blue tits and great tits in the trees by the res ,then a flock of canadas also lots of mallards ,then it got interesting 2 birds took off with the mallards that were smaller and darker they flew together and i noticed one had a reddish patch through is eye from back to frount off the head they were quite distant but i could see this on one of the birds as they flew away checked out the collins bird guide the nearest i could find was common scoter but they dont have the red on them mystery . On the way out of coombs was sprized to see 14 swallows on power lines the rest of the walk was uneventfull a couple of small flocks of goldfinchs oh and a late golden plover going somewere in a hurry a couple of buzzards a kestrals rounded off the day anyone want to hazzard a guess at the mystery birds i have no idea :eek!:

About 40 pinkfooted geese flew over whaley bridge today flying north east towards the lancshire coast no photo but heres one from old moor rspb on sunday

Attachments

• pinkes.jpg
    pinkes.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 45
I repeated last mondays walk but instead of heading home i carried on up the valley to derbyshire bridge then over the old pack horse route to buxton Nothing much on the res apart from mallards and a fly over of 70 or so canadas lots of black birds at the top end looking up to the hills i saw what i thought were redwings and lo and behold there was a flock of 50+ redwings roosting and feeding on the berry trees my fist local redwings before reaching long hill <the buxton road > i came upon a small flock of field fares approx 6 The rest of the trip went normal appart from a moment when a red grouse flew in a panic across the road closly followed by another then a raptor broke the skyline heartbeat starts to climb before i realise its a buzzard The nuber of medow pipets is down this week the swallows have gone and the tits seem to be flocking up all sighn that winter is just around the corner :smoke:

Had a trip up Goyt Valley today, fairly quiet on bird front, amazing colours of trees though. Well worth a visit. Then moved onto the Axe Edge road, after a diversion due to road closure, and had an extremely (for me) late wheatear. Could well have been a Greenland species. Made my day.

Phil

Just a very short walk today started out from home then followed the goyt into whaley bridge park <the goyt runs past my garden > 100yrds downsteam of my house i saw a gooseander on the river would have been a good garden tick tryed to get a shot of it but it flew off followed it downstream still no luck ,decieded to try taxel see if i could spot any bramblings as i had seen a possible yesterday but the wheather was so bad i could not tell walked up by the church plenty of redwings and a greater spotted woodpecker and a few chaffinchs but no bramblings ,has any being seen localy ? then across to todbrook res another gooseander on the res and a flock of blackheaded gulls not much else back along the goyt towards home a flash of blue was a kingfisher flying away at speed then another gooseander mybe the first one never seem to see them much in summer but they seem to apear in winter heres a panicy shot with the fuji 31

Attachments

• gooseander 5.jpg
    gooseander 5.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back