Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Strumble Head

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 13th January 2003, 19:56   #1
WelshFalcon

Strumble Head

Strumble Head nr Fishguard

From Goodwick, follow road through the village and up the hill, then follow signs for Strumble head

Park near the lighthouse sea-watching is done from the flat roofed shelter down below the car park.

Probably the finest sea-watching site in Wales. The best times of year to visit are from Mid August to November to watch the southward migration of skuas , shearwaters and terns.
On good days, there can be great, pomarine, arctic and long tailed skuas. Great, sooty and Balearic shearwaters. Also, thousands of the manx shaearwaters which nest on nearby islands are seen at daybreak each day heading away to their feeding grounds. Always good numbers of gannets, fulmars and kittiwakes. Hundreds of common scoter can pass by each day.

Other species seen are all three species of diver arriving to winter offshore, guillemots, razorbills, puffins and little auks. Sabine, little and Mediterranean gulls can be seen on passage.

The cliffs and lighthouse area can also yield good sightings of rare pipits and warblers and arrivals of spring wheatear, redstart, ring ouzel etc, sand martin and swallow etc.

Its always best to arrive by dawn to catch the best movements offshore, the best weather conditions being north westerly winds following a period of south westerlies. These help blow the birds closer inland.
Old Monday 13th January 2003, 19:59   #2
Colin
Axeman (Retired)

Hi there Falcon,
I second all that as I have been there and enjoyed some 'good birds'. I have also seen Chough there which wasn't on your list.

Colin

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th January 2003, 20:14   #3
WelshFalcon

to paraphrase the Monty Python boys "well obviously the chough - the chough goes without saying......"

sorry for my blatant omission.....there's probably a few others too....I didnt go into the passage waders....or the storm petrels and phalaropes!...and the rarities like little shearwater, Soft-plumaged Petrel, and Wilson's petrel never got a look in!!

Thanks fo taking an interest in my post - I'm trying to give a brief overview of a few of the sites in South and West Wales worth visiting.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: