• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin ? (1 Viewer)

dtbriten

I'm cognizant of the need to allow birds to be wild. However, long story short, raised a robin. Now, almost fully grown, living outside since able to fly, finding food on his own successfully, but still coming down to me every hour in AM and every three hours in afternoon and pm. Have been feeding mealworms and berries. It refuses to eat worms. My questions:
1. Should I stop feeding mealworms? Its preferred food. I watched him pull an earthworm out of the ground and ignore it. When I offer earthworms it refuses them.
2. I fear it is becoming too dependent on me. Have done this before and never had one stick around so long. Was not imprinted on me since it was older when the nest was disturbed by squirrels and it fell out. Mother abandoned.

Any advice or ideas? Thanks

I am no expert, but since it is capable of finding its own food, I would stop feeding it. Hopefully if you stop feeding it, it will stop wanting to visit you, since that can pose a danger if it thinks to approach other humans.

I tend to agree. If you do feed it offer it only earthworms and once he gets hungry enough he'll soon gobble them up and hopefully find some for himself too.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back