Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trumps Inaugural

Closed Thread

Old Friday 20th January 2017, 19:14   #1
Tanny
Registered Member

Question Trumps Inaugural

With nothing better to do, I watched Trumps Presidential Inauguration.
His rhetoric really has me worried and I am thankful I will not be around long enough to see the results of his policies. However what I noticed, and what worries me more than anything was the noticeable absence of coloured people.
On the podium where the Inauguration took place I could only count eight coloured people and one Asian among the five or six hundred Arian looking people. The outgoing president and his wife, the big guy who took the oath of the Vice President, In the fist Quire only one coloured singer, in the second Quire I noticed three coloured ladies. Among the vast crowds watching The dark coloured people were noticeably absent.
I am interested to see what others think about this frightening observation.
Old Friday 20th January 2017, 19:19   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2020

Tanny, I believe the lack of humans of color were not in attendance more so to make a point.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th January 2017, 20:10   #3
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

This seems like a good opportunity to post a sobering article by Leonard Pitts, Jr. that appeared in today's San Jose Mercury News. The whole article is worth reading, but the last paragraph summarizes my feelings quite well:

Quote:
... With good humor and quiet courage, we [traditionally] accept the new normal.
But I refuse to do that now. Doing it now would feel less like an act of courage and good humor than one of surrender, of forgetting that there was once a time when dignity, intelligence, honesty and statesmanship were traits we desired and demanded in our leaders. But if we forget that, we forget us, and then we are well and truly lost. Love of country demands better. Martin Luther King once said he was “proud to be maladjusted” to the inequities and inequalities of his time. That works for me. So I am proud to be maladjusted to Donald Trump.
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Great Trumpkin. L. Pitts 1:20:17.pdf (109.0 KB, 26 views)

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th January 2017, 20:40   #4
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcub View Post
This seems like a good opportunity to post a sobering article by Leonard Pitts, Jr. that appeared in today's San Jose Mercury News. The whole article is worth reading, but the last paragraph summarizes my feelings quite well:
Nice to be on the same side for once, Ed.

Happy trails…
Old Friday 20th January 2017, 20:57   #5
JTweedie

Trump was clearly playing up to the populism that got him elected with his overt nationalism during his speech (of which I've only heard snippets as I was at work). While I can understand that a president would want the people living in his country to have good opportunities to work, I find off-putting the overplayed sense of patriotism and nationalism that was on show.

I started changing my views on what it meant to be "proud" to live in a particular country during the Scottish independence referendum. Always considered myself proud to be Scottish, but I pulled back from these thoughts when a prominent person in the campaign spoke about his motivations in different terms. The idea is not to be proud because I was Scottish (or any ethnic reason). But instead, consider what makes living in a particular country good. Is there a sense of fair play? Are there steps being taken to ensure that everyone living in a country are given equal opportunities to get work, to go to university, to get a house, to travel from one part of the country to another? Do people have easy access to services and political machinery? Does the country have a strong sense of social protection including the health service, while promoting a strong work ethic that discourages idleness or reliance on the state?

There are people around the world who take opposing views about what makes a good life, or how countries should be run - their economic, political and social models. But when I hear "America first" I wish it was instead, "let's improve the opportunities for the people living in America, and while we're doing this let's lead by example by being great partners and friends with our international neighbours".

This may be a bit idealistic, but I think we should be trying better to work together, not creating division, an us and them. Don't scaremonger about foreigners (after all the modern America as we know it was formed by people who came from overseas). Think about what the media and press are presenting to you: are they lying? Do they have an agenda to foster discontent? If so, what do they gain from this - sales?

I've seen so many American citizens interviewed on TV over the past year or so and many of them just repeat the words used by the politicians, but when pressed can rarely give rational answers for their beliefs and motivations. It's a belief system - they believe that X or Y politician is going to make their lives better, but they cannot give answers as to HOW they will make their lives better. And the politicians know this and play to it to their own advantage. Rather than running on gut instinct, people should take it upon themselves to become better educated about the world around them, and that includes taking a critical view of how news is presented to them or when a politician makes a claim about something - where did they get their information? Is it true? Are they leaving something out? Is the claim being presented outside of an original context, completing changing its meaning?

What's going to happen in four years time if many Americans are still out of work? What if they think America hasn't been made great again? Are they going to blame Trump? Obama? Foreigners? How do they measure whether America is great again? And by using that word "again" does that mean it was great in the past? When? For whom? When did it stop being great? What caused that?

Trump in speech after speech keeps going on and on about business, and I think as a businessman himself that is his primary motivation - not any concern about the American people but what keeps his businesses going. He also spoke about giving power back to the people. How is he doing this? How will an average citizen feel more empowered? What can they do with this power? If power rests with the people, why have a president or a congress? Should Trump resign as soon as he feels power has been entirely passed to the people?
Old Friday 20th January 2017, 22:18   #6
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

I take it you're talking about "critical thinking," the oft-stated goal for a "good education." Unfortunately, that ability doesn't parse by political party, and, more importantly, rarely do we as individuals allow ourselves to be open to it. Genetically speaking, I suspect, we are compelled to believe by a need to belong.

Ed

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 20th January 2017, 22:27   #7
JTweedie

Quote:
I take it you're talking about "critical thinking," the oft-stated goal for a "good education." Unfortunately, that ability doesn't parse by political party, and, more importantly, rarely do we as individuals allow ourselves to be open to it. Genetically speaking, I suspect, we are compelled to believe by a need to belong.

Ed
Yes indeed. It's so easy to be taken in my claims, especially when they chime with your existing beliefs. Maybe I'm advocating taking a more rational, skeptical (sceptical?) approach, but it takes effort. Could start with simple things like when seeing a quote on social media and questioning if it's true and where it came from and was it said by the person they claim said it.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 01:39   #8
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

A rather interesting article I came across after following some links from the article fugl posted in another thread (so I guess we are on the same side now )
http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...ng-game-214589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GWmC83htA
Interesting in that if you juxtaposition it with this YouTube clip of Putin, it leaves you wondering about the true nature of the beast ?? I suspect like a quantum field, or bipolar disorder, the potential exists for both realities .....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Two wolves.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	612324
Ready or not, Trump certainly has his work cut out for him. From where I sit (at my desk, or on a couch ) , Obama's America has been if not asleep at the wheel, then ineffectual .... perhaps Trump will be just the unconventional leader that the doctor ordered ?? I certainly hope so ....

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 03:10   #9
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Trump already removed a wealth of information regarding climate change from the White House webpage, so anyone who thinks he's not going to thoroughly rape the environment is just looking through rose colored glasses. His head of the EPA has sued the EPA and is heavily vested in oil. His SoS is an Exxon CEO. His Energy Dept. head has in the past stated his desire to abolish the dept., and only seems vaguely aware of what the Dept. actually does.

I don't think Trump is the racist, sexist bigot he appears - he panders perfectly to his low-brow crowd; however, I think he will do everything he can to make himself and his peers the most money he can, the environment and all of our resources be damned.

If anyone has evidence to the contrary, I'd gladly read it, but I'm mostly using his own words...

Last edited by jremmons : Saturday 21st January 2017 at 03:21.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 07:46   #10
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Trump already removed a wealth of information regarding climate change from the White House webpage, so anyone who thinks he's not going to thoroughly rape the environment is just looking through rose colored glasses. His head of the EPA has sued the EPA and is heavily vested in oil. His SoS is an Exxon CEO. His Energy Dept. head has in the past stated his desire to abolish the dept., and only seems vaguely aware of what the Dept. actually does.
It's deja vu all over again for those of us who lived through the Reagan years, at least in terms of the effect on environmental policy. But look on the bright side--now each day brings us one day closer to the end of Trump's presidency.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 12:31   #11
Tanny
Registered Member

Is Donald Trump just a dreamer, because I don't feel he can implement his promises without a secret agenda.

Here is the complete Inaugural Speech.

Chief Justice Roberts, President Carter, President Clinton, President Bush, President Obama, fellow Americans, and people of the world: Thank you.
We, the citizens of America, are now joined in a great national effort to rebuild our country and to restore its promise for all of our people. Together, we will determine the course of America and the world for years to come. We will face challenges. We will confront hardships. But we will get the job done. Every four years, we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful transfer of power, and we are grateful to President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama for their gracious aid throughout this transition. They have been magnificent. Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People. For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished -- but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered -- but the jobs left, and the factories closed. The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land. That all changes -- starting right here, and right now, because this moment is your moment: it belongs to you. It belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America. This is your day. This is your celebration. And this, the United States of America, is your country. What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer. Everyone is listening to you now. You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement the likes of which the world has never seen before. At the centre of this movement is a crucial conviction: that a nation exists to serve its citizens. Americans want great schools for their children, safe neighbourhoods for their families, and good jobs for themselves. These are the just and reasonable demands of a righteous public.But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge; and the crime and gangs and drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential. This American carnage stops right here and stops right now. We are one nation -- and their pain is our pain. Their dreams are our dreams; and their success will be our success. We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny.The oath of office I take today is an oath of allegiance to all Americans. For many decades, we've enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry; subsidised the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military; we've defended other nation's borders while refusing to defend our own; and spent trillions of dollars overseas while America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay. We've made other countries rich while the wealth, strength, and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon. One by one, the factories shuttered and left our shores, with not even a thought about the millions upon millions of American workers left behind.The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world. But that is the past. And now we are looking only to the future. We assembled here today are issuing a new decree to be heard in every city, in every foreign capital, and in every hall of power. From this day forward, a new vision will govern our land.
From this moment on, it's going to be America First. Every decision on trade, on taxes, on immigration, on foreign affairs, will be made to benefit American workers and American families. We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength. I will fight for you with every breath in my body -- and I will never, ever let you down. America will start winning again, winning like never before. We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back our dreams.
We will build new roads, and highways, and bridges, and airports, and tunnels, and railways all across our wonderful nation. We will get our people off of welfare and back to work -- rebuilding our country with American hands and American labour. We will follow two simple rules: Buy American and hire American.
We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world -- but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first. We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example for everyone to follow. We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones -- and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate completely from the face of the Earth. At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America, and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other. When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The Bible tells us, "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity." We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity. When America is united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear -- we are protected, and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement and, most importantly, we are protected by God. Finally, we must think big and dream even bigger. In America, we understand that a nation is only living as long as it is striving. We will no longer accept politicians who are all talk and no action -- constantly complaining but never doing anything about it. The time for empty talk is over. Now arrives the hour of action.Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America. We will not fail. Our country will thrive and prosper again.
We stand at the birth of a new millennium, ready to unlock the mysteries of space, to free the Earth from the miseries of disease, and to harness the energies, industries and technologies of tomorrow. A new national pride will stir our souls, lift our sights, and heal our divisions. It is time to remember that old wisdom our soldiers will never forget: that whether we are black or brown or white, we all bleed the same red blood of patriots, we all enjoy the same glorious freedoms, and we all salute the same great American Flag. And whether a child is born in the urban sprawl of Detroit or the windswept plains of Nebraska, they look up at the same night sky, they fill their heart with the same dreams, and they are infused with the breath of life by the same almighty Creator. So to all Americans, in every city near and far, small and large, from mountain to mountain, and from ocean to ocean, hear these words: You will never be ignored again.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 15:03   #12
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanny View Post

the jobs left, and the factories closed.

The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world.
Is he talking about the golf courses and leisure complexes he built and created jobs in, not in USA, but in Ireland and Scotland? To make money for his 'empire'.

Surely he can't be saying one thing while having done another. That would make him just some sort of charlatan politician........

Lee
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 15:08   #13
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Lightbulb

Quote:
Is Donald Trump just a dreamer, because I don't feel he can implement his promises without a secret agenda.

Here is the complete Inaugural Speech.

Chief Justice Roberts, President Carter, President Clinton, President Bush, President Obama, fellow Americans, and people of the world: Thank you.
We, the citizens of America, are now joined in a great national effort to rebuild our country and to restore its promise for all of our people. Together, we will determine the course of America and the world for years to come. We will face challenges. We will confront hardships. But we will get the job done. Every four years, we gather on these steps to carry out the orderly and peaceful transfer of power, and we are grateful to President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama for their gracious aid throughout this transition. They have been magnificent. Today's ceremony, however, has very special meaning. Because today we are not merely transferring power from one administration to another, or from one party to another -- but we are transferring power from Washington, D.C. and giving it back to you, the American People. For too long, a small group in our nation's Capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have borne the cost. Washington flourished -- but the people did not share in its wealth. Politicians prospered -- but the jobs left, and the factories closed. The establishment protected itself, but not the citizens of our country. Their victories have not been your victories; their triumphs have not been your triumphs; and while they celebrated in our nation's capital, there was little to celebrate for struggling families all across our land. That all changes -- starting right here, and right now, because this moment is your moment: it belongs to you. It belongs to everyone gathered here today and everyone watching all across America. This is your day. This is your celebration. And this, the United States of America, is your country. What truly matters is not which party controls our government, but whether our government is controlled by the people. January 20th 2017, will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again. The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer. Everyone is listening to you now. You came by the tens of millions to become part of a historic movement the likes of which the world has never seen before. At the centre of this movement is a crucial conviction: that a nation exists to serve its citizens. Americans want great schools for their children, safe neighbourhoods for their families, and good jobs for themselves. These are the just and reasonable demands of a righteous public.But for too many of our citizens, a different reality exists: Mothers and children trapped in poverty in our inner cities; rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape of our nation; an education system flush with cash, but which leaves our young and beautiful students deprived of knowledge; and the crime and gangs and drugs that have stolen too many lives and robbed our country of so much unrealized potential. This American carnage stops right here and stops right now. We are one nation -- and their pain is our pain. Their dreams are our dreams; and their success will be our success. We share one heart, one home, and one glorious destiny.The oath of office I take today is an oath of allegiance to all Americans.
For many decades, we've enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry; subsidised the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military; we've defended other nation's borders while refusing to defend our own; and spent trillions of dollars overseas while America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay. We've made other countries rich while the wealth, strength, and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon. One by one, the factories shuttered and left our shores, with not even a thought about the millions upon millions of American workers left behind.The wealth of our middle class has been ripped from their homes and then redistributed across the entire world. But that is the past. And now we are looking only to the future. We assembled here today are issuing a new decree to be heard in every city, in every foreign capital, and in every hall of power. From this day forward, a new vision will govern our land.
From this moment on, it's going to be America First. Every decision on trade, on taxes, on immigration, on foreign affairs, will be made to benefit American workers and American families. We must protect our borders from the ravages of other countries making our products, stealing our companies, and destroying our jobs. Protection will lead to great prosperity and strength. I will fight for you with every breath in my body -- and I will never, ever let you down. America will start winning again, winning like never before. We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth. And we will bring back our dreams.
We will build new roads, and highways, and bridges, and airports, and tunnels, and railways all across our wonderful nation. We will get our people off of welfare and back to work -- rebuilding our country with American hands and American labour. We will follow two simple rules: Buy American and hire American.
We will seek friendship and goodwill with the nations of the world -- but we do so with the understanding that it is the right of all nations to put their own interests first. We do not seek to impose our way of life on anyone, but rather to let it shine as an example for everyone to follow. We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones -- and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate completely from the face of the Earth. At the bedrock of our politics will be a total allegiance to the United States of America, and through our loyalty to our country, we will rediscover our loyalty to each other. When you open your heart to patriotism, there is no room for prejudice. The Bible tells us, "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity." We must speak our minds openly, debate our disagreements honestly, but always pursue solidarity. When America is united, America is totally unstoppable. There should be no fear -- we are protected, and we will always be protected. We will be protected by the great men and women of our military and law enforcement and, most importantly, we are protected by God. Finally, we must think big and dream even bigger. In America, we understand that a nation is only living as long as it is striving. We will no longer accept politicians who are all talk and no action -- constantly complaining but never doing anything about it. The time for empty talk is over. Now arrives the hour of action.Do not let anyone tell you it cannot be done. No challenge can match the heart and fight and spirit of America. We will not fail. Our country will thrive and prosper again.
We stand at the birth of a new millennium, ready to unlock the mysteries of space, to free the Earth from the miseries of disease, and to harness the energies, industries and technologies of tomorrow. A new national pride will stir our souls, lift our sights, and heal our divisions. It is time to remember that old wisdom our soldiers will never forget: that whether we are black or brown or white, we all bleed the same red blood of patriots, we all enjoy the same glorious freedoms, and we all salute the same great American Flag. And whether a child is born in the urban sprawl of Detroit or the windswept plains of Nebraska, they look up at the same night sky, they fill their heart with the same dreams, and they are infused with the breath of life by the same almighty Creator. So to all Americans, in every city near and far, small and large, from mountain to mountain, and from ocean to ocean, hear these words: You will never be ignored again.
I thought DJT's speech from start up to this point (that I highlighted in bold) was quite magnificent, Astute even. 10/10.

After that, not so much - in fact decidedly downhill. For a businessman, he shows a distinct lack of knowledge of the strategic workings of capitalism and globalisation. Based on the rest of his speech which retreats to insular nationalism and protectionism, he lacks the understanding and intellectual horsepower necessary to handle the complexities of industry, education, knowledge, and comparative advantage transformation required.

Throughout his campaign, and in the latter half of this speech, he has been quick to identify scapegoats for US decline and the plight of his forgotten have-nots, but beyond simplistic, jingoistic slogans, very thin on any real understanding and analysis of the true causative factors, let alone able to provide a vision, and roadmap out of the mire. On the matter of Wall Street profiting handsomely from the utter exploitation of developing countries,the US money printing presses working round the clock, and the complete ignoring of the burgeoning US debt clock, he has been either ignorantly, or complicitly silent.

Make no mistake, there are some real gremlins in there globally, responsible at least in part for the present US economic and industrial quandary. The uneven labour and environmental playing fields of developing nation trading partners, the unfair currency manipulation by China, the blatant theft of IP by communist block countries. Add to that the niggling security destabilisations by those same forces in a continuing cold war which never ended, fought in proxy venues around the world, designed to mire the West patching up endless sh*tholes, draining resources, capacity, and wealth, straight into the pockets of said communist antagonists, and hardcore Islamic elite autocracies. Ironically, America has been complicit in its own downfall - I mean what if the Reds/Sheiks threw a war and nobody came?

I have no real confidence that DJT has a firm grasp and insight on any of this. He seems to have an inkling that something is not quite right, but no idea why. He has resorted to a simpleton sledgehammer approach to these global issues, opening with wild ambit claims. It remains to be seen whether there is any real meat on those bones that would result in some very naughty boys in the world seriously pulling their heads in and playing nice, after reaching a considered negotiated compromise that resulted in increased stability and prosperity for all.

The post I made above contains two very interesting links well worth your time. The world seems poised to go one way or the other, and the feeling is a little bit reminiscent of the 1930's -- we could do it better this time round and be on the cusp of something quite beautiful and grand. There is more to say based on visions and such that I have had, but probably best to leave it there ........

I hope Trump comes through. I hope we see something noble and altruistic - something magnificent. I hope we don't get one establishment replaced by merely another one ..... time will tell .....

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Saturday 21st January 2017 at 16:12.

Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 18:43   #14
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosun Juan View Post
I thought DJT's speech from start up to this point (that I highlighted in bold) was quite magnificent, Astute even. 10/10.

After that, not so much - in fact decidedly downhill. For a businessman, he shows a distinct lack of knowledge of the strategic workings of capitalism and globalisation. . . .

I hope Trump comes through. I hope we see something noble and altruistic - something magnificent. I hope we don't get one establishment replaced by merely another one ..... time will tell .....
"Rusted-out factories scattered like tombstones" is a striking phrase but the rest of the highlighted portion of the speech is pabulum of the purest grade. All presidents claim to be for the "little man" but few have actually been so and no Republican at all since T. R. Roosevelt. There's certainly no reason to think Trump will be any different, particularly given how he has treated the "ordinary people" in his employ. And even if he tried to implement a progressive agenda he would never get it through Congress or, for that matter, his own cabinet, stuffed as it is with Wall Streeters and far-right cranks.

And of course he doesn't understand macro-economics. Few businessmen do, particularly sleazy not-very-successful ones like Trump amusing themselves by playing around with vast inherited wealth. [I say "not-very-successful" because it's been calculated that if Trump had invested his inheritance in Vanguard index funds rather than trying to manage it himself he would be significantly richer than he is today (I would dearly like to cite the source for this but unfortunately I can't remember what it is)]

Noble, altruistic, magnificent? Trump?? Wow, you are a fan! The worry is not that he'll create a new "establishment" but that the old benighted Republican one will stay in place. And what do you mean by "establishment" anyway? And as opposed to what exactly?

Last edited by fugl : Saturday 21st January 2017 at 19:12.
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 20:18   #15
fugl
Forum Member

The anti-inaugural--

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/us...ore-ipad-share
Old Saturday 21st January 2017, 20:56   #16
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
... I hope Trump comes through. I hope we see something noble and altruistic - something magnificent. I hope we don't get one establishment replaced by merely another one ..... time will tell .....
Clearly, she's expressing the audacity of hope. But, I doubt that it will work out.

Ed

Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 11:49   #17
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Smile

Quote:
Clearly, she's expressing the audacity of hope. But, I doubt that it will work out.

Ed
Hi Ed

Yes, I haven't read the book, but something like that. As the saying goes, "cometh the hour, cometh the man", and a look at the link I posted above, a bit of research on the matter, and more importantly, just a wide eyed look around, will tell anyone that hour is here.

In fact it's always been here - the cold war has never gone away right from WWII on (brief glimmers of perestroika and glasnost notwithstanding). Successive US administrations have been ultimately ineffective in dealing with some of the darker elements of the world. This may have been due to some very poor decisions in hindsight which saw US hands equally as tainted. The US has a woeful track record of funding and training attack dogs which then get off the leash and require tragic messy wars to reign in, with the inevitable clutching at air, amplified terrorism fallout. Having said that though, there certainly could have been worse outcomes for the world over the last few decades than what has actually played out.

Certainly Obama's administration while ultimately unsuccessful, was a welcome step up from the appalling George Dubbya -Cheney -Rumsfeld snake oil roadshow. I was a bit surprised and seriously disappointed after the 9/11 atrocity that you guys didn't rebuild a tower over twice as high as what was brought down - we seemed to lose something of America then - maybe President DJT will have the US build the world's first mile high tower?

It seems though, that we are yet to find the buddha's 'middle way' that will globally clean up the cronyism and oligarchies of the far right, and the spend like drunken sailors economic mismanagement, and paradoxical nanny state mollycoddling yet weak leadership and management of the left.

As fugl (perhaps rather too wearily and cynically) said above, there is always the high viscosity, high inertia machinations of government and the establishment to deal with. Time will tell whether Trump is fair dinkum or whether it turned out to be just more 'pabulum'. I'm hoping that DJT is just wacky and out there enough that he may just (inadvertently) put together a new global 'deal' (for the people) that takes us past this underlying East v West fear and into a more secure and truly inclusive age of prosperity ..... Now wouldn't that be quite the contradiction of form and expectations!

You may say I'm a dreamer - but I hope I'm not the only one ....

Chosun

Last edited by Chosun Juan : Sunday 22nd January 2017 at 12:14.

Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 19:03   #18
Tanny
Registered Member

Look what I found in the wonder of the Internet

Hundreds allege Donald Trump doesn’t pay his bills

AMONG THOSE WHO SAY BILLIONAIRE DIDN'T PAY: DISHWASHERS, PAINTERS, WAITERS

During the Atlantic City casino boom in the 1980s, Philadelphia cabinet-builder Edward Friel Jr. landed a $400,000 contract to build the bases for slot machines, registration desks, bars and other cabinets at Harrah's at Trump Plaza.
The family cabinetry business, founded in the 1940s by Edward’s father, finished its work in 1984 and submitted its final bill to the general contractor for the Trump Organization, the resort’s builder.
Edward’s son, Paul, who was the firm’s accountant, still remembers the amount of that bill more than 30 years later: $83,600. The reason: the money never came. “That began the demise of the Edward J. Friel Company… which has been around since my grandfather,” he said.

Donald Trump often portrays himself as a savior of the working class who will "protect your job." But a USA TODAY NETWORK analysis found he has been involved in more than 3,500 lawsuits over the past three decades — and a large number of those involve ordinary Americans, like the Friels, who say Trump or his companies have refused to pay them.
At least 60 lawsuits, along with hundreds of liens, judgments, and other government filings reviewed by the USA TODAY NETWORK, document people who have accused Trump and his businesses of failing to pay them for their work. Among them: a dishwasher in Florida. A glass company in New Jersey. A carpet company. A plumber. Painters. Forty-eight waiters. Dozens of bartenders and other hourly workers at his resorts and clubs, coast to coast. Real estate brokers who sold his properties. And, ironically, several law firms that once represented him in these suits and others.

Trump’s companies have also been cited for 24 violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act since 2005 for failing to pay overtime or minimum wage, according to U.S. Department of Labor data. That includes 21 citations against the defunct Trump Plaza in Atlantic City and three against the also out-of-business Trump Mortgage LLC in New York. Both cases were resolved by the companies agreeing to pay back wages.

Litigator in chief
In addition to the lawsuits, the review found more than 200 mechanic’s liens — filed by contractors and employees against Trump, his companies or his properties claiming they were owed money for their work — since the 1980s. The liens range from a $75,000 claim by a Plainview, N.Y., air conditioning and heating company to a $1 million claim from the president of a New York City real estate banking firm. On just one project, Trump’s Taj Mahal casino in Atlantic City, records released by the New Jersey Casino Control Commission in 1990 show that at least 253 subcontractors weren’t paid in full or on time, including workers who installed walls, chandeliers and plumbing.
The actions in total paint a portrait of Trump’s sprawling organization frequently failing to pay small businesses and individuals, then sometimes tying them up in court and other negotiations for years. In some cases, the Trump teams financially overpower and outlast much smaller opponents, draining their resources. Some just give up the fight, or settle for less; some have ended up in bankruptcy or out of business altogether.

Trump and his daughter Ivanka, in an interview with USA TODAY, shrugged off the lawsuits and other claims of non-payment. If a company or worker he hires isn’t paid fully, the Trumps said, it’s because The Trump Organization was unhappy with the work.

“Let’s say that they do a job that’s not good, or a job that they didn’t finish, or a job that was way late. I’ll deduct from their contract, absolutely,” Trump said. “That’s what the country should be doing.”
“Let’s say that they do a job that’s not good, or a job that they didn’t finish, or a job that was way late. I’ll deduct from their contract, absolutely. That’s what the country should be doing.

'VISIBLY WINCED'
To be sure, Trump and his companies have prevailed in many legal disputes over missing payments, or reached settlements that cloud the terms reached by the parties.

However, the consistent circumstances laid out in those lawsuits and other non-payment claims raise questions about Trump’s judgment as a businessman, and as a potential commander- in- chief. The number of companies and others alleging he hasn’t paid suggests that either his companies have a poor track record hiring workers and assessing contractors, or that Trump businesses renege on contracts, refuse to pay, or consistently attempt to change payment terms after work is complete as is alleged in dozens of court cases.

In the interview, Trump repeatedly said the cases were “a long time ago.” However, even as he campaigns for the presidency, new cases are continuing. Just last month, Trump Miami Resort Management LLC settled with 48 servers at his Miami golf resort over failing to pay overtime for a special event. The settlements averaged about $800 for each worker and as high as $3,000 for one, according to court records. Some workers put in 20-hour days over the 10-day Passover event at Trump National Doral Miami, the lawsuit contends. Trump’s team initially argued a contractor hired the workers, and he wasn’t responsible, and counter-sued the contractor demanding payment.

“Trump could have settled it right off the bat, but they wanted to fight it out, that’s their M.O.” said Rod Hannah, of Plantation, Fla., the lawyer who represented the workers, who he said are forbidden from talking about the case in public. “They’re known for their aggressiveness, and if you have the money, why not?”

Similar cases have cropped up with Trump’s facilities in California and New York, where hourly workers, bartenders and wait staff have sued with a range of allegations from not letting workers take breaks to not passing along tips to servers. Trump's company settled the California case, and the New York case is pending.

“Trump’s trial attorneys visibly winced, began breathing heavily, and attempted to make eye contact with the witness.”
RULING BY MIAMI DADE CIRCUIT JUDGE JORGE CUETO
Trump's Doral golf resort also has been embroiled in recent non-payment claims by two different paint firms, with one case settled and the other pending. Last month, his company’s refusal to pay one Florida painter more than $30,000 for work at Doral led the judge in the case to order foreclosure of the resort if the contractor isn’t paid.

Juan Carlos Enriquez, owner of The Paint Spot, in South Florida, has been waiting more than two years to get paid for his work at the Doral. The Paint Spot first filed a lien against Trump’s course, then filed a lawsuit asking a Florida judge to intervene.

In courtroom testimony, the manager of the general contractor for the Doral renovation admitted that a decision was made not to pay The Paint Spot because Trump “already paid enough.” As the construction manager spoke, “Trump’s trial attorneys visibly winced, began breathing heavily, and attempted to make eye contact” with the witness, the judge noted in his ruling.

That, and other evidence, convinced the judge The Paint Spot’s claim was credible. He ordered last month that the Doral resort be foreclosed on, sold, and the proceeds used to pay Enriquez the money he was owed. Trump’s attorneys have since filed a motion to delay the sale, and the contest continues.
Enriquez still hasn’t been paid.

UNPAID HOURLY WORKERS
Trump frequently boasts that he will bring jobs back to America, including Tuesday in a primary-election night victory speech at his golf club in suburban New York City. “No matter who you are, we're going to protect your job,” Trump said Tuesday. “Because let me tell you, our jobs are being stripped from our country like we're babies.”

But the lawsuits show Trump’s organization wages Goliath vs David legal battles over small amounts of money that are negligible to the billionaire and his executives — but devastating to his much-smaller foes.

In 2007, for instance, dishwasher Guy Dorcinvil filed a federal lawsuit against Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club resort in Palm Beach, Fla., alleging the club failed to pay time-and-a-half for overtime he worked over three years and the company failed to keep proper time records for employees.
Mar-a-Lago LLC agreed to pay Dorcinvil $7,500 to settle the case in 2008. The terms of the settlement agreement includes a standard statement that Mar-a-Lago does not admit fault and forbids Dorcinvil or his lawyers from talking about the case, according to court records.

Developers with histories of not paying contractors are a very small minority of the industry, said Colette Nelson, chief advocacy officer of the American Subcontractors Association. But late or missing payments can be devastating for small businesses and their employees.

“Real estate is a tough and aggressive business, but most business people don’t set out to make their money by breaking the companies that they do business with,” she said, stressing she couldn’t speak directly to the specifics of cases in Trump’s record. “But there are a few.”

In the interview, Trump said that complaints represent a tiny fraction of his business empire and dealings with contractors and employees, insisting all are paid fairly. “We pay everybody what they’re supposed to be paid, and we pay everybody on time,” he said. “And we employ thousands and thousands of people. OK?”

THE SLOT-MACHINE CABINETS
Despite the Trumps’ assertion that his their companies only refuse payment to contractors “when somebody does a bad job,” he has sometimes offered to hire those same contractors again. It’s a puzzling turn of events, since most people who have a poor experience with a contractor, and who refuse to pay and even fight the contractor in court, aren’t likely to offer to rehire them.
Nevertheless, such was the case for the Friels. After submitting the final bill for the Plaza casino cabinet-building in 1984, Paul Friel said he got a call asking that his father, Edward, come to the Trump family’s offices at the casino for a meeting. There Edward, and some other contractors, were called in one by one to meet with Donald Trump and his brother, Robert Trump.

“He sat in a room with nine guys,” Paul Friel said. “We found out some of them were carpet guys. Some of them were glass guys. Plumbers. You name it.”

In the meeting, Donald Trump told his father that the company’s work was inferior, Friel said, even though the general contractor on the casino had approved it. The bottom line, Trump told Edward Friel, was the company wouldn't get the final payment. Then, Friel said Trump added something that struck the family as bizarre. Trump told his dad that he could work on other Trump projects in the future.

“Wait a minute,” Paul Friel said, recalling his family's reaction to his dad’s account of the meeting. “Why would the Trump family want a company who they say their work is inferior to work for them in the future?”

“We have hundreds of millions of dollars of construction projects underway. And we have, for the most part, exceptional contractors on them who get paid, and get paid quickly. But it would be irresponsible if my father paid contractors who did lousy work. And he doesn’t do that.”
IVANKA TRUMP, EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION
Asked about the meeting this week, Trump said, “Was the work bad? Was it bad work?” And, then, after being told that the general contractor had approved it, Trump added, “Well, see here’s the thing. You’re talking about, what, 30 years ago?”

Ivanka Trump added that any number of disputes over late or deficient payments that were found over the past few decades pale in comparison to the thousands of checks Trump companies cut each month.

“We have hundreds of millions of dollars of construction projects underway. And we have, for the most part, exceptional contractors on them who get paid, and get paid quickly,” she said, adding that she doubted any contractor complaining in court or in the press would admit they delivered substandard work. “But it would be irresponsible if my father paid contractors who did lousy work. And he doesn’t do that.”

But, the Friels’ story is similar to experiences of hundreds of other contractors over the casino-boom decade in Atlantic City. Legal records, New Jersey Casino Control Commission records and contemporaneous local newspaper stories recounted time and again tales about the Trumps paying late or renegotiating deals for dimes on the dollar.
A half-decade after the Friels’ encounter, in 1990, as Trump neared the opening of his third Atlantic City casino, he was once again attempting to pay contractors less than he owed. In casino commission records of an audit, it was revealed that Trump’s companies owed a total of $69.5 million to 253 subcontractors on the Taj Mahal project. Some already had sued Trump, the state audit said; others were negotiating with Trump to try to recover what they could. The companies and their hundreds of workers had installed walls, chandeliers, plumbing, lighting and even the casino’s trademark minarets.

One of the builders was Marty Rosenberg, vice president of Atlantic Plate Glass Co., who said he was owed about $1.5 million for work at the Taj Mahal. When it became clear Trump was not going to pay in full, Rosenberg took on an informal leadership role, representing about 100 to 150 contractors in negotiations with Trump.

Rosenberg’s mission: with Trump offering as little as 30 cents on the dollar to some of the contractors, Rosenberg wanted to get as much as he could for the small businesses, most staffed by younger tradesmen with modest incomes and often families to support.

“Yes, there were a lot of other companies," he said of those Trump left waiting to get paid. "Yes, some did not survive."

Rosenberg said his company was among the lucky ones. He had to delay paying his own suppliers to the project. The negotiations led to him eventually getting about 70 cents on the dollar for his work, and he was able to pay all of his suppliers in full.

UNPAID BASED ON WHIMSY
The analysis of Trump lawsuits also found that professionals, such as real estate agents and lawyers, say he's refused to pay them sizable sums of money. Those cases show that even some loyal employees, those selling his properties and fighting for him in court, are only with him until they’re not.

Real estate broker Rana Williams, who said she had sold hundreds of millions of dollars in Manhattan property for Trump International Realty over more than two decades with the company, sued in 2013 alleging Trump shorted her $735,212 in commissions on deals she brokered from 2009 to 2012. Williams, who managed as many as 16 other sales agents for Trump, said the tycoon and his senior deputies decided to pay her less than her contracted commission rate “based on nothing more than whimsy.”

Trump and Williams settled their case in 2015, and the terms of the deal are confidential, as is the case in dozens of other settlements between plaintiffs and Trump companies.

However, Williams' 2014 deposition in the case is not sealed. In her sworn testimony, Williams said the 2013 commission shortage wasn't the only one, and neither was she the only person who didn't get fully paid. “There were instances where a sizable commission would come in and we would be waiting for payment and it wouldn’t come,” she testified. “That was both for myself and for some of the agents.”

Another broker, Jennifer McGovern, filed a similar lawsuit against the now-defunct Trump Mortgage LLC in 2007, citing a six-figure commission on real-estate sales that she said went unpaid. A judge issued a judgment ordering Trump Mortgage to pay McGovern $298,274.
((((((Even Trump’s own attorneys, on several occasions, sued him over claims of unpaid bills.)))))))

One law firm that fought contractors over payments and other issues for Trump — New York City’s Morrison Cohen LLP — ended up on the other side of a similar battle with the mogul in 2008. Trump didn’t like that its lawyers were using his name in press releases touting its representation of Trump in a lawsuit against a construction contractor that Trump claimed overcharged him for work on a luxury golf club.

As Trump now turned his ire on his former lawyers, however, Morrison Cohen counter-sued. In court records, the law firm alleged Trump didn’t pay nearly a half million dollars in legal fees. Trump and his ex-lawyers settled their disputes out of court, confidentially, in 2009.

In 2012, Virginia-based law firm Cook, Heyward, Lee, Hopper & Feehan filed a lawsuit against the Trump Organization for $94,511 for legal fees and costs. The case was eventually settled out of court. But as the case unfolded, court records detail how Trump's senior deputies attacked the attorneys' quality of work in the local and trade press, leading the firm to make claims of defamation that a judge ultimately rejected on free speech grounds.

Trump claims in his presidential personal financial disclosure to be worth $10 billion as a result of his business acumen. Many of the small contractors and individuals who weren’t paid by him haven’t been as fortunate.

Edward Friel, of the Philadelphia cabinetry company allegedly shortchanged for the casino work, hired a lawyer to sue for the money, said his son, Paul Friel. But the attorney advised him that the Trumps would drag the case out in court and legal fees would exceed what they’d recover.

The unpaid bill took a huge chunk out of the bottom line of the company that Edward ran to take care of his wife and five kids. “The worst part wasn’t dealing with the Trumps,” Paul Friel said. After standing up to Trump, Friel said the family struggled to get other casino work in Atlantic City. “There’s tons of these stories out there,” he said.

The Edward J. Friel Co. filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 5, 1989.
Says the founder's grandson: “Trump hits everybody.”
-------------------------------------------------
An exclusive and ongoing USA TODAY analysis of legal filings across the United States finds that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee and his businesses have been involved in thousands of legal actions in federal and state courts over the past three decades. They range from skirmishes with casino patrons to million-dollar real estate suits to personal defamation lawsuits.
85 BRANDING AND TRADEMARK CASES
Trump’s business these days is dominated by selling rights to use his name on everything from consumer products to buildings. Trump sued for $4.5 million over unpaid royalties after a company that had been paying him to call its liquor Trump Vodka fell on hard times during the economic downturn, hurting sales of pricier spirits. The company stopped making its licensing payments, and Trump terminated the deal and sued to recoup what he was owed. He won a judgment for the amount, though it's unclear whether he ever collected from the troubled company.
Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 19:31   #19
Pinewood
New York correspondent

Hello Chosun Juan,

Eventually, the word got around Atlantic City about Trump that wise contractors added a 20% premium to their bids to cover his short changing.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur
Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 20:04   #20
fugl
Forum Member

Quote:
Look what I found in the wonder of the Internet

Hundreds allege Donald Trump doesn’t pay his bills

AMONG THOSE WHO SAY BILLIONAIRE DIDN'T PAY: DISHWASHERS, PAINTERS, WAITERS

During the Atlantic City casino boom in the 1980s, Philadelphia cabinet-builder Edward Friel Jr. landed a $400,000 contract to build the bases for slot machines, registration desks, bars and other cabinets at Harrah's at Trump Plaza.
The family cabinetry business, founded in the 1940s by Edward’s father, finished its work in 1984 and submitted its final bill to the general contractor for the Trump Organization, the resort’s builder.
Edward’s son, Paul, who was the firm’s accountant, still remembers the amount of that bill more than 30 years later: $83,600. The reason: the money never came. “That began the demise of the Edward J. Friel Company… which has been around since my grandfather,” he said.

Donald Trump often portrays himself as a savior of the working class who will "protect your job." But a USA TODAY NETWORK analysis found he has been involved in more than 3,500 lawsuits over the past three decades — and a large number of those involve ordinary Americans, like the Friels, who say Trump or his companies have refused to pay them.
At least 60 lawsuits, along with hundreds of liens, judgments, and other government filings reviewed by the USA TODAY NETWORK, document people who have accused Trump and his businesses of failing to pay them for their work. Among them: a dishwasher in Florida. A glass company in New Jersey. A carpet company. A plumber. Painters. Forty-eight waiters. Dozens of bartenders and other hourly workers at his resorts and clubs, coast to coast. Real estate brokers who sold his properties. And, ironically, several law firms that once represented him in these suits and others.

Trump’s companies have also been cited for 24 violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act since 2005 for failing to pay overtime or minimum wage, according to U.S. Department of Labor data. That includes 21 citations against the defunct Trump Plaza in Atlantic City and three against the also out-of-business Trump Mortgage LLC in New York. Both cases were resolved by the companies agreeing to pay back wages.

Litigator in chief
In addition to the lawsuits, the review found more than 200 mechanic’s liens — filed by contractors and employees against Trump, his companies or his properties claiming they were owed money for their work — since the 1980s. The liens range from a $75,000 claim by a Plainview, N.Y., air conditioning and heating company to a $1 million claim from the president of a New York City real estate banking firm. On just one project, Trump’s Taj Mahal casino in Atlantic City, records released by the New Jersey Casino Control Commission in 1990 show that at least 253 subcontractors weren’t paid in full or on time, including workers who installed walls, chandeliers and plumbing.
The actions in total paint a portrait of Trump’s sprawling organization frequently failing to pay small businesses and individuals, then sometimes tying them up in court and other negotiations for years. In some cases, the Trump teams financially overpower and outlast much smaller opponents, draining their resources. Some just give up the fight, or settle for less; some have ended up in bankruptcy or out of business altogether.

Trump and his daughter Ivanka, in an interview with USA TODAY, shrugged off the lawsuits and other claims of non-payment. If a company or worker he hires isn’t paid fully, the Trumps said, it’s because The Trump Organization was unhappy with the work.

“Let’s say that they do a job that’s not good, or a job that they didn’t finish, or a job that was way late. I’ll deduct from their contract, absolutely,” Trump said. “That’s what the country should be doing.”
“Let’s say that they do a job that’s not good, or a job that they didn’t finish, or a job that was way late. I’ll deduct from their contract, absolutely. That’s what the country should be doing.

'VISIBLY WINCED'
To be sure, Trump and his companies have prevailed in many legal disputes over missing payments, or reached settlements that cloud the terms reached by the parties.

However, the consistent circumstances laid out in those lawsuits and other non-payment claims raise questions about Trump’s judgment as a businessman, and as a potential commander- in- chief. The number of companies and others alleging he hasn’t paid suggests that either his companies have a poor track record hiring workers and assessing contractors, or that Trump businesses renege on contracts, refuse to pay, or consistently attempt to change payment terms after work is complete as is alleged in dozens of court cases.

In the interview, Trump repeatedly said the cases were “a long time ago.” However, even as he campaigns for the presidency, new cases are continuing. Just last month, Trump Miami Resort Management LLC settled with 48 servers at his Miami golf resort over failing to pay overtime for a special event. The settlements averaged about $800 for each worker and as high as $3,000 for one, according to court records. Some workers put in 20-hour days over the 10-day Passover event at Trump National Doral Miami, the lawsuit contends. Trump’s team initially argued a contractor hired the workers, and he wasn’t responsible, and counter-sued the contractor demanding payment.

“Trump could have settled it right off the bat, but they wanted to fight it out, that’s their M.O.” said Rod Hannah, of Plantation, Fla., the lawyer who represented the workers, who he said are forbidden from talking about the case in public. “They’re known for their aggressiveness, and if you have the money, why not?”

Similar cases have cropped up with Trump’s facilities in California and New York, where hourly workers, bartenders and wait staff have sued with a range of allegations from not letting workers take breaks to not passing along tips to servers. Trump's company settled the California case, and the New York case is pending.

“Trump’s trial attorneys visibly winced, began breathing heavily, and attempted to make eye contact with the witness.”
RULING BY MIAMI DADE CIRCUIT JUDGE JORGE CUETO
Trump's Doral golf resort also has been embroiled in recent non-payment claims by two different paint firms, with one case settled and the other pending. Last month, his company’s refusal to pay one Florida painter more than $30,000 for work at Doral led the judge in the case to order foreclosure of the resort if the contractor isn’t paid.

Juan Carlos Enriquez, owner of The Paint Spot, in South Florida, has been waiting more than two years to get paid for his work at the Doral. The Paint Spot first filed a lien against Trump’s course, then filed a lawsuit asking a Florida judge to intervene.

In courtroom testimony, the manager of the general contractor for the Doral renovation admitted that a decision was made not to pay The Paint Spot because Trump “already paid enough.” As the construction manager spoke, “Trump’s trial attorneys visibly winced, began breathing heavily, and attempted to make eye contact” with the witness, the judge noted in his ruling.

That, and other evidence, convinced the judge The Paint Spot’s claim was credible. He ordered last month that the Doral resort be foreclosed on, sold, and the proceeds used to pay Enriquez the money he was owed. Trump’s attorneys have since filed a motion to delay the sale, and the contest continues.
Enriquez still hasn’t been paid.

UNPAID HOURLY WORKERS
Trump frequently boasts that he will bring jobs back to America, including Tuesday in a primary-election night victory speech at his golf club in suburban New York City. “No matter who you are, we're going to protect your job,” Trump said Tuesday. “Because let me tell you, our jobs are being stripped from our country like we're babies.”

But the lawsuits show Trump’s organization wages Goliath vs David legal battles over small amounts of money that are negligible to the billionaire and his executives — but devastating to his much-smaller foes.

In 2007, for instance, dishwasher Guy Dorcinvil filed a federal lawsuit against Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Club resort in Palm Beach, Fla., alleging the club failed to pay time-and-a-half for overtime he worked over three years and the company failed to keep proper time records for employees.
Mar-a-Lago LLC agreed to pay Dorcinvil $7,500 to settle the case in 2008. The terms of the settlement agreement includes a standard statement that Mar-a-Lago does not admit fault and forbids Dorcinvil or his lawyers from talking about the case, according to court records.

Developers with histories of not paying contractors are a very small minority of the industry, said Colette Nelson, chief advocacy officer of the American Subcontractors Association. But late or missing payments can be devastating for small businesses and their employees.

“Real estate is a tough and aggressive business, but most business people don’t set out to make their money by breaking the companies that they do business with,” she said, stressing she couldn’t speak directly to the specifics of cases in Trump’s record. “But there are a few.”

In the interview, Trump said that complaints represent a tiny fraction of his business empire and dealings with contractors and employees, insisting all are paid fairly. “We pay everybody what they’re supposed to be paid, and we pay everybody on time,” he said. “And we employ thousands and thousands of people. OK?”

THE SLOT-MACHINE CABINETS
Despite the Trumps’ assertion that his their companies only refuse payment to contractors “when somebody does a bad job,” he has sometimes offered to hire those same contractors again. It’s a puzzling turn of events, since most people who have a poor experience with a contractor, and who refuse to pay and even fight the contractor in court, aren’t likely to offer to rehire them.
Nevertheless, such was the case for the Friels. After submitting the final bill for the Plaza casino cabinet-building in 1984, Paul Friel said he got a call asking that his father, Edward, come to the Trump family’s offices at the casino for a meeting. There Edward, and some other contractors, were called in one by one to meet with Donald Trump and his brother, Robert Trump.

“He sat in a room with nine guys,” Paul Friel said. “We found out some of them were carpet guys. Some of them were glass guys. Plumbers. You name it.”

In the meeting, Donald Trump told his father that the company’s work was inferior, Friel said, even though the general contractor on the casino had approved it. The bottom line, Trump told Edward Friel, was the company wouldn't get the final payment. Then, Friel said Trump added something that struck the family as bizarre. Trump told his dad that he could work on other Trump projects in the future.

“Wait a minute,” Paul Friel said, recalling his family's reaction to his dad’s account of the meeting. “Why would the Trump family want a company who they say their work is inferior to work for them in the future?”

“We have hundreds of millions of dollars of construction projects underway. And we have, for the most part, exceptional contractors on them who get paid, and get paid quickly. But it would be irresponsible if my father paid contractors who did lousy work. And he doesn’t do that.”
IVANKA TRUMP, EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION
Asked about the meeting this week, Trump said, “Was the work bad? Was it bad work?” And, then, after being told that the general contractor had approved it, Trump added, “Well, see here’s the thing. You’re talking about, what, 30 years ago?”

Ivanka Trump added that any number of disputes over late or deficient payments that were found over the past few decades pale in comparison to the thousands of checks Trump companies cut each month.

“We have hundreds of millions of dollars of construction projects underway. And we have, for the most part, exceptional contractors on them who get paid, and get paid quickly,” she said, adding that she doubted any contractor complaining in court or in the press would admit they delivered substandard work. “But it would be irresponsible if my father paid contractors who did lousy work. And he doesn’t do that.”

But, the Friels’ story is similar to experiences of hundreds of other contractors over the casino-boom decade in Atlantic City. Legal records, New Jersey Casino Control Commission records and contemporaneous local newspaper stories recounted time and again tales about the Trumps paying late or renegotiating deals for dimes on the dollar.
A half-decade after the Friels’ encounter, in 1990, as Trump neared the opening of his third Atlantic City casino, he was once again attempting to pay contractors less than he owed. In casino commission records of an audit, it was revealed that Trump’s companies owed a total of $69.5 million to 253 subcontractors on the Taj Mahal project. Some already had sued Trump, the state audit said; others were negotiating with Trump to try to recover what they could. The companies and their hundreds of workers had installed walls, chandeliers, plumbing, lighting and even the casino’s trademark minarets.

One of the builders was Marty Rosenberg, vice president of Atlantic Plate Glass Co., who said he was owed about $1.5 million for work at the Taj Mahal. When it became clear Trump was not going to pay in full, Rosenberg took on an informal leadership role, representing about 100 to 150 contractors in negotiations with Trump.

Rosenberg’s mission: with Trump offering as little as 30 cents on the dollar to some of the contractors, Rosenberg wanted to get as much as he could for the small businesses, most staffed by younger tradesmen with modest incomes and often families to support.

“Yes, there were a lot of other companies," he said of those Trump left waiting to get paid. "Yes, some did not survive."

Rosenberg said his company was among the lucky ones. He had to delay paying his own suppliers to the project. The negotiations led to him eventually getting about 70 cents on the dollar for his work, and he was able to pay all of his suppliers in full.

UNPAID BASED ON WHIMSY
The analysis of Trump lawsuits also found that professionals, such as real estate agents and lawyers, say he's refused to pay them sizable sums of money. Those cases show that even some loyal employees, those selling his properties and fighting for him in court, are only with him until they’re not.

Real estate broker Rana Williams, who said she had sold hundreds of millions of dollars in Manhattan property for Trump International Realty over more than two decades with the company, sued in 2013 alleging Trump shorted her $735,212 in commissions on deals she brokered from 2009 to 2012. Williams, who managed as many as 16 other sales agents for Trump, said the tycoon and his senior deputies decided to pay her less than her contracted commission rate “based on nothing more than whimsy.”

Trump and Williams settled their case in 2015, and the terms of the deal are confidential, as is the case in dozens of other settlements between plaintiffs and Trump companies.

However, Williams' 2014 deposition in the case is not sealed. In her sworn testimony, Williams said the 2013 commission shortage wasn't the only one, and neither was she the only person who didn't get fully paid. “There were instances where a sizable commission would come in and we would be waiting for payment and it wouldn’t come,” she testified. “That was both for myself and for some of the agents.”

Another broker, Jennifer McGovern, filed a similar lawsuit against the now-defunct Trump Mortgage LLC in 2007, citing a six-figure commission on real-estate sales that she said went unpaid. A judge issued a judgment ordering Trump Mortgage to pay McGovern $298,274.
((((((Even Trump’s own attorneys, on several occasions, sued him over claims of unpaid bills.)))))))

One law firm that fought contractors over payments and other issues for Trump — New York City’s Morrison Cohen LLP — ended up on the other side of a similar battle with the mogul in 2008. Trump didn’t like that its lawyers were using his name in press releases touting its representation of Trump in a lawsuit against a construction contractor that Trump claimed overcharged him for work on a luxury golf club.

As Trump now turned his ire on his former lawyers, however, Morrison Cohen counter-sued. In court records, the law firm alleged Trump didn’t pay nearly a half million dollars in legal fees. Trump and his ex-lawyers settled their disputes out of court, confidentially, in 2009.

In 2012, Virginia-based law firm Cook, Heyward, Lee, Hopper & Feehan filed a lawsuit against the Trump Organization for $94,511 for legal fees and costs. The case was eventually settled out of court. But as the case unfolded, court records detail how Trump's senior deputies attacked the attorneys' quality of work in the local and trade press, leading the firm to make claims of defamation that a judge ultimately rejected on free speech grounds.

Trump claims in his presidential personal financial disclosure to be worth $10 billion as a result of his business acumen. Many of the small contractors and individuals who weren’t paid by him haven’t been as fortunate.

Edward Friel, of the Philadelphia cabinetry company allegedly shortchanged for the casino work, hired a lawyer to sue for the money, said his son, Paul Friel. But the attorney advised him that the Trumps would drag the case out in court and legal fees would exceed what they’d recover.

The unpaid bill took a huge chunk out of the bottom line of the company that Edward ran to take care of his wife and five kids. “The worst part wasn’t dealing with the Trumps,” Paul Friel said. After standing up to Trump, Friel said the family struggled to get other casino work in Atlantic City. “There’s tons of these stories out there,” he said.

The Edward J. Friel Co. filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 5, 1989.
Says the founder's grandson: “Trump hits everybody.”
-------------------------------------------------
An exclusive and ongoing USA TODAY analysis of legal filings across the United States finds that the presumptive Republican presidential nominee and his businesses have been involved in thousands of legal actions in federal and state courts over the past three decades. They range from skirmishes with casino patrons to million-dollar real estate suits to personal defamation lawsuits.
85 BRANDING AND TRADEMARK CASES
Trump’s business these days is dominated by selling rights to use his name on everything from consumer products to buildings. Trump sued for $4.5 million over unpaid royalties after a company that had been paying him to call its liquor Trump Vodka fell on hard times during the economic downturn, hurting sales of pricier spirits. The company stopped making its licensing payments, and Trump terminated the deal and sued to recoup what he was owed. He won a judgment for the amount, though it's unclear whether he ever collected from the troubled company.
Thanks for detailing this here, Tanny. His ugly treatment of employees and contractors was brought out against him during the election but to little effect unfortunately. His core supporters--the poor misguided saps--simply didn't care.

Last edited by fugl : Sunday 22nd January 2017 at 22:05.
Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 21:05   #21
elkcub
BF Supporter 2020

Hi Chosun,

Quote:
Time will tell whether Trump is fair dinkum or whether it turned out to be just more 'pabulum'. I'm hoping that DJT is just wacky and out there enough that he may just (inadvertently) put together a new global 'deal' (for the people) that takes us past this underlying East v West fear and into a more secure and truly inclusive age of prosperity ..... Now wouldn't that be quite the contradiction of form and expectations!
Yes, indeed, it would be a contradiction of form and expectations. But, personally, I'd take hope in the collective actions of "the people," rather than the dinkumness of this guy and his friends. And my kids do too ...

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Debs 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	612633  

Last edited by elkcub : Sunday 22nd January 2017 at 21:22.

Old Sunday 22nd January 2017, 22:21   #22
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi Chosun,

Yes, indeed, it would be a contradiction of form and expectations. But, personally, I'd take hope in the collective actions of "the people," rather than the dinkumness of this guy and his friends. And my kids do too ...

Ed
Ed, Children's behaviour and actions can be a very telling measure of a parent - so well done!

I think "the people" will have their work cut out for them, especially environmentalists worldwide. It would be interesting to plot these swings and over shoots on a control chart .... I just hope we get to the desired state soon.

I also hope our collective level of maturity increases so that when we inevitably reach an inflection point we have the 'learning' capacity to go beyond a blinkered saying 'ner-nerny-ner-nerr - I told you so', to actually acknowledging the very real causative factors of that excursion, and proactively embodying and adjusting course toward the desired state.

The unsavory MO that Tanny posted above makes me hope that happens within one term .... I hope that losing politicians and good folk everywhere are hard at work today - not collectively reinforcing their 'rightness' among a misguided electorate, but having a good, long, hard, look in the mirror .... 20th January 2017 might just then be that long awaited 'step' into a better future.

Chosun

Old Monday 23rd January 2017, 07:31   #23
dalat

So the first thing this new administration does is ridiculing itself by spattering a bunch of lies (sorry for sticking to that old fashioned word, I know it's called alternative facts now) about the enormously important question about whether Donald drew the biggest crowd ever or not.

If we (in Europe) wouldn't be about loosing our most important ally, if these guys wouldn't sit on the worlds biggest military arsenal, it could all be very funny to watch.

Ok, I know all this doesn't come as a surprise, we could see it coming all year long. But still it's something to get your worst expectations confirmed on day one of the new administration in place.
Old Monday 23rd January 2017, 18:54   #24
Tanny
Registered Member

Again as I have nothing better to do,I strolled through the Internet and find these articles I think are relevant to the Trump Administration. My wife tells me to watch out when the big black limo parks outside the wall and a couple of, men in black come and take me away.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Understanding the New World Order – The who, what, how and why

“A brief glance at history will tell you that emperors and tyrants have been trying to expand their power and influence over greater and greater areas for centuries. It just happens that today it can be done on a global scale like never before…”

A one second search on Google can instantaneously amass up to 760 million search results on the term “New World Order,” compared to just 719 million for the word “politics.” It seems pretty clear that the concept of a “New World Order” is not something new, and rather is quite a recognized and discussed topic within in the world consciousness. In fact, last year there was even an International Conference on the “New World Order: A Recipe for War or Peace” that was put together by Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, former Prime Minister of Malaysia, a post he held for 22 years.

However, just like politics, there is a wide range of perceptions as to what the phrase “New World Order” even means, and how it’s reflected in reality. Instead of picking apart every strand and side-tangent of the theory, it would be more constructive to begin to locate the common ground which can be held together by easily verifiable information, historical perspective, and common sense. It’s clear people want to talk about it, so in order to discuss this illusive concept in an open and mature manner, people have to begin to let go of preconceived perceptions, even just while you read this article, and try to look at the evidence in a new, open-minded way. It’s too important a topic to not at least consider the case…
Defining the New World Order

A basic definition might be the best place to start, as a way of laying the foundation for everything else. To do this, let’s first take a look at a quote by renowned alternative researcher and journalist James Corbett, when asked what the New World Order is:
“I don’t think it’s right to frame the New World Order as necessarily a policy or group. I think it’s more part of an ideology of globalism that has been explicitly articulated in various ways by various people who are linked, but not always directly like we might think.”
From the start, it’s important to understand the distinction that the New World Order is not necessarily one specific group or one specific law, but more of an over encompassing ideology. An ideology is a worldview and belief system that guides an individual, group, social movement, class or institution. The basic concept behind the ideology of a New World Order is international collectivism, whereas power and law within societies is increasingly centralized into fewer groups, so as to transcend nations and move power and law into international bodies and institutions, in the belief that world law benefits the collective people of the world over decentralized local law. Therefore, the idea of a New World Order is not simply a single policy, domestic group, or international organization, but instead encompasses an international ideological movement towards the construction of a global governance system. There is no doubt that within this ideology certain patterns of people, organizations, and tactics continually emerge, over and over again, to lead the charge. While many are benign to this movement, these same groups and individuals know what it’s about and frequently refer to the idea of this “New Word Order” in their writings, speeches, and literature. It is a true conspiracy for a New World Order of international collectivism that a majority of the public is not even aware of.

Now this is where many people who have not been exposed to this theory will check out, as their initial thought plays out like a Hollywood movie of a secret cabal or authoritarian dictator residing over the world in his holy throne. However, this is a vastly oversimplified way of looking at an idea that spans generations in time and is far more complex and nuanced than many people think. To begin with, the word governance does not necessarily have the same meaning as government. While government takes the form of a visible group or organization that is often elected and held accountable, governance can transcend the nation and operate privately as a stronger layer of power behind the scenes, which is not always directly visible and often times not elected or accountable to the public. For example, it is well-known that Cardinal de Richelieu was the “power behind the throne” of King Louis XIII of France, and similarly today, it’s well known that the Federal Reserve is a strong “power behind the throne” of the United States Government, with its autonomous ability to control monetary policy. It’s this concentrated pattern of power working in the shadows together towards a one-world system in which most people often refer to in today’s context as “The New World Order.”

In a world of such technological advancement, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that there would be an ideological group formed around the consolidation of international power and control. Any brief glance at history will tell you that emperors and tyrants have been trying to expand their power and influence over greater and greater areas for centuries. It just so happens that today it can be done on a global scale like never before. This didn’t just fall out of the sky either. Numerous people of high prominence have openly discussed their vision of a one-world government, while others have become aware and warned people about the buildup of invisible powers working together behind the scenes towards further centralization of control. These are just a few of the many quotes out there by highly recognized figures on the subject.

“The real rulers in Washington are invisible, and exercise power from behind the scenes.” – Felix Frankfurter, Supreme Court Justice, 1952

“Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it.” –

Woodrow Wilson ,28th President of the United States
“We shall have World Government, whether or not we like it. The only question is whether World Government will be achieved by consent or conquest.”

– James Paul Warburg [son of Paul Warburg, the author of the Federal Reserve Act] February 7, 1950

“We are grateful to the Washington Post, The New York Times, Time Magazine and other great publications whose directors have attended our meetings and respected their promises of discretion for almost forty years. It would have been impossible for us to develop our plan for the world if we had been subjected to the lights of publicity during those years. But, the world is now more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supranational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national auto-determination practiced in past centuries.”

David Rockefeller, Baden-Baden, Germany 1991
“I think that his [Obama’s] task will be to develop an overall strategy for America in this period, when really a New World Order can be created.”

Henry Kissinger, CNBC 2008
It seems pretty clear that something is going on behind closed doors of which many inside the establishment are aware, but are either part of, or are afraid to talk about. So how does one even begin to put this all into a rational perspective?

The Concentration of Powers

The best place to start might be understanding how vast amounts of private capital found its way into a small group of hands starting in the late 18th century, especially amongst two leading families, the Rockefellers and the Rothschild’s. Though there are many other strands of important information to sort though, a basic understanding of these two massively powerful interests can give people a glimpse into the strongest powers working behind the throne to obtain collective world power.

The Rockefellers and Rothschilds are no normal families; they have privately accumulated assets and powers far greater than that of some independent nations. An accurate portrayal of history is therefore impossible to understand without discussing their impact. Their sphere of influence casts out so far that many of the early international structures established have their names all over it.

John F. Hylan, Mayor of New York from 1918-1925, was quoted as saying:
“The real menace of our Republic is the invisible government, which like a giant octopus sprawls its slimy legs over our cities, states and nation. To depart from mere generalizations, let me say that at the head of this octopus are the Rockefeller-Standard Oil interests and a small group of powerful banking houses generally referred to as the international bankers (Rothschild’s).

The little coterie of powerful international bankers virtually run the United States government for their own selfish purposes.”

To achieve such power, they both set out and built virtual monopolies in their respective fields: Rothschilds in banking and Rockefellers in oil. Starting in the 19th century, the Rothschild’s became the unquestioned kings of banking, starting a private central bank in almost every country in Europe. The brothers created an empire through the private lending practice of fractional reserve banking. this allowed the Rothschild’s to loan out way more money then it had in its account or in gold to back it up, making them the richest family on the planet. They amassed a fortune making loans at interest, not only to people and businesses, but to governments, which in turn gave them unbelievable power, as they were the main creditor to almost all the governments in Europe. This was especially effective since governments needed money for war; so as time went on, these governments became massively indebted to the Rothschild’s. This wielded them tremendous leverage in politics and world affairs, as they controlled almost the entire money supply of Europe and could crash the markets at whim.

Baron Nathan de Rothschild once famously said:
“I care not what puppet is placed on the throne of England to rule the British Empire on which the sun never sets. The man that controls Britain’s money supply controls the British Empire, and I control the British money supply.”

They didn’t stop at banking though. They owned major stakes in companies like BP/Royal Dutch Shell, Goldman Sachs, and Reuters, among many others. They also made tons of money by funding some of the top businessmen of the time as agents of the Rothschild’s, including Cecil Rhodes so he could form a monopoly over the diamond and gold fields of South Africa, E.H. Harriman’s so he could construct a railroad monopoly, Cornelius Vanderbilt’s so he could form a railroad and shipping monopoly, and Andrew Carnegie so he could build a monopoly on steel, among many other people. Then there was business tycoon J.P. Morgan, who was thought to be the richest man in the world at the time, but when he died it was found out after that he was a lieutenant of the Rothschild’s. Then of course there is their funding of the infamous John D. Rockefeller.

John D. Rockefeller was the founder of Standard Oil in the mid to late 19th century, creating a virtual monopoly on oil refinement in the beginning of the American oil boom, which as we know now, oil went on to become the worlds most sought after commodity. He achieved this by starting one of the largest oil company’s in the world, and turning it into a monopoly by entering into a secret alliance with the Rothschild’s and Morgan’s for funding and the railroad company South Improvement Co.; a deal that allowed him to dominate the competition by having the lowest transportation costs. He soon was able to put most entrepreneurs out of business and buy up almost all the competition. In 1879, it was estimated that he owned 90% of the oil refineries in the world, a true international monopoly. He gained the reputation as a ruthless businessman and was often depicted in print as a snake.

As with the Rothschild’s, the Rockefellers were just beginning in terms of amassing influence. Teddy Roosevelt would eventually break up the Standard Oil Trust, but Rockefeller would only profit more due to the sale and breakup, while still coming to own large interests in Exxon, Mobil, Chevron, BP, and Royal Dutch Shell. They would also go on to start their own bank, commonly referred to as JP Morgan Chase today, as well as colluding in secret with Rothschild and other elite banker interests to start the all-powerful Federal Reserve in the United States. Both families also heavily finance, have interests in, or sit on the boards of hundred’s of major corporations as well as account for large amounts of real estate all over the world; especially New York City, which is home to the famous Rockefeller Center, and Israel, where the Rothschild’s constructed the Israeli Supreme Court Building among others. This is only a brief glimpse into the massive private fortunes these two large families have acquired. Fortunes so large that they are impossible to calculate in definitive numbers.

It wasn’t just these two families who made it rich, although they were the most prominent and financed many of the other families. Starting in the late 18th century, there would be a rise of a small group of supremely wealthy capitalists who wielded massive private power over large sections of important markets; something society had not been accustomed to of this magnitude. For the first time in history, individuals with large amounts of private capital became a seriously powerful force in society, supremely challenging government power and public interests. Prof.

Dr. Mujahid Kamran, from the Centre for Research on Globalization, states,
“The advent of the industrial revolution, the invention of a banking system based on usury, and scientific and technological advancements during the past three centuries have had three major consequences. These have made the incredible concentration of wealth in a few hands possible, have led to the construction of increasingly deadly weapons culminating in weapons of mass destruction, and have made it possible to mold the minds of vast populations by application of scientific techniques through the media and control of the educational system.”

By the time the 20th century came around, the Rothschilds and Rockefellers not only had fortunes and influence that rivaled governments, but they would work in tandem towards similar globalists ends. Through their large fortunes and web of business connections, thanks to being the world largest financiers, Rothschild and Rockefeller began to use their monopolies to further their power and influence in society by attempting to unite many of the highest elite interests into an aligned, collective manner. They knew that governments would bend at the knees if just a small group of these interests united and coordinated actions towards similar goals. They essentially aimed to buildup a private network of powerful interests working towards their own agenda. This seems evident even today.

This was fostered in a variety of ways, such as buying up and merging with other companies, financing businessmen to work towards their interests, indebting and corrupting governments, sitting on the boards and having large interests in big corporations, creating think tanks and non-profit organizations to promote their ideas, and the use of secret societies to foster hidden international alliances and cooperation.

Respected researcher G. Edward Griffin described this buildup of collective international power as a complex interconnected web of “rings within rings within rings,” whereas layers of protection and secrecy are able to insulate how the inner core connects. They can also use these larger outer layers to scout people out before they bring them into the inner rings.

These rings of connection can come in the form of political ideologies such as the Neo-Conservatives, Zionists, and Neo-Liberals, which gives one a team to be on. However, not-for-profit organizations have proved far more successful, as they have become a more powerful force in the background, unifying the actions of different political parties. Through Rockefeller created groups like the Council on Foreign Relations, the Trilateral Commission, the Bilderberg Group, the World Economic Forum, and the United Nations, various international interests from a wide variety of sectors in society were brought together into informal settings to discuss policy and develop ways in which coordinated moves can further the profits of all the connected interests that “play ball.” These organizations were supplemented with think tanks like the Rand Institute, the Brookings Institute, and the Atlantic Council. Think Tanks were designed to do “research” and write “official” papers that outline “policy suggestions” to world leaders. The problem is that these papers are usually written to further the interests of those funding it, not collective social well-being.

Foundations were also one of the key tools used to infiltrate culture and change consciousness in order to build influence. They are, in short, the engines of social engineering; both for elite circles specifically, and society as a whole, more generally. The Rockefeller Foundation in particular was able to wield massive influence over education, science, medicine, entertainment, public policy, and art.

As Professor of Education Robert F. Arnove wrote in his book Philanthropy and Cultural Imperialism:

“Foundations like Carnegie, Rockefeller, and Ford have a corrosive influence on a democratic society; they represent relatively unregulated and unaccountable concentrations of power and wealth which buy talent, promote causes, and, in effect, establish an agenda of what merits society’s attention. They serve as “cooling-out” agencies, delaying and preventing more radical, structural change. They help maintain an economic and political order, international in scope, which benefits the ruling-class interests of philanthropists and philanthropoids – a system which… has worked against the interests of minorities, the working class, and Third World peoples”

On an even deeper level, it has become impossible to deny that it also involves many rings of people interconnected by secret societies to one degree or another, such as the Freemasons, Skull and Bones, and the Knights of Malta. In fact, there was such a strong opposition in the United States to Freemasonry, that a political party formed called the Anti-Masonic Party,believing that Freemasonry was a corrupt and elitist secret society, which was ruling much of the country. The party gave rise to several presidential candidates as well as many inductees’ into the House of Representatives. It should also be noted that the 2004 election was George Bush vs. John Kerry, both of which are members of a secret society at Yale called Skull and Bones.

The Bilderberg Group. The Bilderberg Group, a more nuance secret society that was previously only speculated about in “conspiracy theories,” is an organization largely started by David Rockefeller, which meets once a year for an annual conference to discuss policy. It’s made up of 120 to 150 people of mostly European and North American political elite,consisting of experts from industry, finance, academia, military, intelligence, and media. There is little to no press coverage on the meeting. However, because of public pressure on the group, they were finally forced to admit it was a real meeting and have listed the names of people who allegedly attended in recent years. To understand the power at this conference, one man mapped out how its member have influence on literally almost everything in existence.

It has become clear that private capital exploded, starting in the late 18th century, primarily through the use of fractional reserve banking and corporate monopolies. As time went on, their interests naturally become more and more aligned, as working together maximized profit and power. Just like anything else, these groups are subject to their in-fighting and problems, but they naturally come together when push comes to shove. They know the weight of their coordinated actions becomes deadly through their ability to manipulate markets and control credit. They know the reach of their coordinated actions is too expansive, which is largely why they were able to manufacture and finance both sides of World War I and World War II. These same players are also largely behind the rise of China through the Wall Street financing of eight families, referred to as the 8 Immortals, that went on to monopolize large parts of China, as well as being behind the changes in the Russian political landscape through heavy funding of the Bolshevik Revolution by the same Wall Street players.

Endless war is incredibly powerful for them, because governments need loans and the military needs resources. Power then shifts as governments go into debt to the bankers. So much so, that they come to own the government in some sense and are able to rig the rules in their favor. This includes heavy influence on the military and intelligence apparatuses. Rockefellers and Rothschilds are known to have many ties to the CIA, Mossad, and MI6 through men like the Dulles Brothers and others, as well as the ability to get countries into wars. Power also tends to shift after wars from the national level to further centralized power at the international level.

According to the recent Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report, the top 1% of the world’s population owns half of all global wealth. Since it is common knowledge that money rules politics, the elite are clearly in charge, especially if they operate as a team. Government, Big Business, and Banking have all become one, with the “establishment” the inner ring within the outer ring. While this is a real problem, the even bigger issue is that they are now, more than ever, molding a strong foundation for visible international system of global governance. It might sound outlandish at first, but it’s really not that hard to see when taken into historical context and looked at objectively.

The 21st Century New World Order

An obvious tool being used to work toward a one-world government is Free-Trade deals like the TPP, NAFTA, TISA and TTIP. The major issue with these deals is that they breach the national and local sovereignty of law. In international free-trade agreements, countries agree on a standard set of rules negotiated in secret that transcend nations, and all countries must adhere to them so as to set the same rules for all. If countries do not abide by the universal laws, then nations and even cities can be sued at the taxpayers expense in secret international arbitration courts (tribunals), instead of domestic courts. This massive power grab by elite interests will not only make it extremely hard for small competition to compete with international corporations with far more capital, but it also gives away the people’s power to exercise more localized democracy and further centralizes it into unelected international institutions.

Other tools being used are the IMF and World Bank, which aim to maintain control of developing nations by trapping them into large amounts of debt. Then there is the Bank for International Settlements, which is the quote on quote “central banks of central banks.” Carol Quigley warned of this organization in his books, and some speculate it’s a Rothschild/Rockefeller controlled bank. From the best estimates, there are only maybe eleven countries without central banks under control of the BIS: Venezuela, Somalia, Lebanon, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan, Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Syria, and North Korea. However, the central banks of Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, and South Sudan have become private banks, rumored to be owned by the Rothschild’s. There are various other bodies as well, like the World Trade Organization, World Customs Organization, United Nations, OECD, G20 and Financial Stability Board. They are all interconnecting to lay the initial regulatory framework for international law, global tax compliance, global customs enforcements, and treaties that make up the foundation for global governance. Slowly but methodically, power is being stripped away from nations, communities and individuals, and put into fewer and fewer collective hands with greater reach, starting with regions like the European Union and proposed North American Union, before moving into International bodies.

Most people will naturally begin to wonder how they’re able to do this and get away with it. It’s really not as hard as some might think. An easy way to begin to conceptualize how this happens is to look at it through the same structural framework as that of a corporation. In an international corporation, the power structure is designed strikingly similar to a hierarchical pyramid, whereas more and more power is put into the hands of fewer and fewer people as one moves up the chain, starting first with the most basic laborers at the bottom of the pyramid, then moving slightly up to the average employees, before going further up to regional and national managers, and finally up to the bigger players like the executive officers, the board of trustees, and the owner.

This doesn’t even take into account the fact that many companies are then owned by other companies, who might also be swallowed up by larger holding groups that set the agenda all the way down the ladder. In this type of hierarchical structure and layered financing, compartmentalization plays a major function in how it builds up behind the scenes; everyone is on a “need to know” basis. The higher one moves up the chain, the more knowledge and power they have over the operation and the more they can see the bigger picture. However, in the end, only the ones at the very top are able to put the whole thing together. For this reason, the majority of people are going right along with the agenda, unconsciously doing their job, not knowing they’re aiding the interests of layers much higher then themselves. It’s basically turned the world into a feudalistic society, whereas there is an ownership class and then there is everyone else in the labor class.

People never question why this is because society never mentions it and labels it as taboo. This other, more powerful tool has been their infiltration of social consciousness and culture through the domination and control off the media; the entertainment industry (Hollywood), food, science, education, healthcare, medicine, and information. Their philanthropic foundations, government influence, and endless bankroll have allowed them to invest in the social engineering of society towards their own agenda as well as mold the image of what it means to be a human being; a centralized image that is perceived by most the majority of the population. There is no doubt that they have had large influence on social and individual consciousness and perception.
This is only the tip of the iceberg, as there are many more threads, layers, people, and groups that were not mentioned, for the list goes on and on. History is far from what we have been lead to believe; riddled with false flags, heavy bias, withheld information, and just straight up lies.

We are at a defining point in social consciousness. There is a mass awakening going on in world consciousness while at the same time a move towards power centralization and control. It’s about time people finally begin to realize that all the worlds’ problems are a lot more connected then what has been taught in school. This ideology, which has amassed an ungodly amount of power and capital, has hijacked the world consciousness to some degree or another, and used it to centralize more power internationally into the hands of fewer and fewer people. While, globalization and a connected world sound good in theory, there are many hidden layers and controllers “behind the throne” that most are completely unaware of.

It’s time to wise up and ask the tough questions such as: Who really has control over society and do they have society’s best interest in mind? Centralization vs. decentralization is at the heart of this issue and a topic that will define the world’s future. Is centralization of power a good thing, or is decentralization a more affective international model? Can the world remain connected and cohesive in a decentralized system? Are centralized rulers even necessary in the in the 21st century?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John D. Rockefeller once said,
“The day of combination is here to stay. Individualism has gone, never to return.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems, if the current path is continued, then individualism will be dead, and collectivism will win out.
Is that a world we want to live in?

JFK President of The United States, 1961
Attempted to warn us in his famous speech before he was assassinated.
“It requires a change in outlook, a change in tactics, a change in missions—by the government, by the people, by every businessman or labor leader, and by every newspaper. For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covet means for expanding its sphere of influence—on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system, which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific, and political operations.
Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed. It conducts the Cold War, in short, with war-time discipline no democracy would ever hope or wish to match.
Nevertheless, every democracy recognizes the necessary restraints of national security—and the question remains whether restraints need to be more strictly observed if we are to oppose this kind of attack as well as outright invasion.”
========================================

Rex W. Tillerson

United States Secretary of State
Nominee
Taking office
TBD*
President Donald Trump
Succeeding Tom Shannon (Acting)
Personal details
Born Rex Wayne Tillerson March 23, 1952 (age 64)
Wichita Falls, Texas, U.S.
Political party Republican
Spouse(s) Renda St. Clair
Education University of Texas, Austin (BS)
Salary $27.2 million (2015)
Net worth $245 million (2016)
Awards Orden of Friendship.png Russian Order of Friendship (2013)
-------------------------------------

Tillerson began his career as an engineer and holds a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from the University of Texas at Austin. Tillerson joined Exxon in 1975, and by 1989 had become general manager of the Exxon USA central production division. In 1995 he became president of Exxon Yemen Inc. and Esso Exploration and Production Khorat Inc. In 2006, Tillerson was elected chairman and chief executive officer of Exxon, the world's 6th largest company by revenue. Tillerson retired from Exxon effective December 31, 2016, and was succeeded by Darren Woods. He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering.

On December 13, 2016, President-elect Donald Trump announced that Tillerson would be his nominee for Secretary of State. He is a longtime contributor to Republican campaigns. Tillerson's close business ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin have generated controversy, particularly in light of the revelations about Putin's business dealings in the Panama papers. In 2014 Tillerson strongly opposed the sanctions against Russia. He has previously been the director of the joint US-Russian oil company Exxon Neftegas. In January 2017, it was revealed that while Tillerson was a senior executive at ExxonMobil, a European joint venture called Infineum conducted business with Iran, Syria, and Sudan when those states were under US sanctions.
Business career
Exxon
Tillerson joined The Exxon Company in 1975 as a production engineer. In 1989, Tillerson became general manager of the central production division of Exxon USA. In 1995, he became President of Exxon Yemen Inc. and Esso Exploration and Production Khorat Inc.

In 1998, he became a vice president of Exxon Ventures (CIS) and president of Exxon Neftegas Limited with responsibility for Exxon's holdings in Russia and the Caspian Sea. In 1999, with the merger of Exxon and Mobil, he was named executive vice president of ExxonMobil Development Company. In 2004, he became president and director of ExxonMobil. On January 1, 2006, Tillerson was elected chairman and chief executive officer (CEO), following the retirement of Lee Raymond.

Tillerson re-established his position of chairman and chief executive officer during a shareholder meeting on May 28, 2008. The Rockefeller family sponsored a non-binding resolution to separate the CEO and chairman positions to maintain a system of checks and balances. The Rockefeller family also wanted ExxonMobil to invest more in alternative energy, with Neva Goodwin saying in a public statement that the company "needs to reconnect with the forward-looking and entrepreneurial vision of my great-grandfather." However, the resolution did not obtain the necessary majority and Tillerson held on to both the chairman and chief executive officer job titles.

In 2009, ExxonMobil acquired XTO Energy, a major natural gas producer, for $31 billion in stock. Some writers have stated that "Tillerson's legacy rides on the XTO Deal."

Tillerson has ties with President Vladimir Putin of Russia. They have been associates since Tillerson represented Exxon's interests in Russia during President Boris Yeltsin's tenure. John Hamre, the President and CEO of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, of which Tillerson is a board member, states that Tillerson "has had more interactive time with Vladimir Putin than probably any other American, with the exception of Dr. Henry Kissinger."

Tillerson is a friend of Igor Sechin, the leader of the Kremlin's Siloviki (security/military) faction, who has been described as "Russia's second-most powerful person" after President Putin.

In 2011, on behalf of ExxonMobil, Tillerson signed an agreement with Russia for drilling in the Arctic that could be valued up to $300 billion. The company began drilling in the Kara Sea in the Summer of 2014, and a round of sanctions against Russia introduced in September that year due to the Ukrainian crisis was to have brought the project to a halt in mid-September. Nevertheless, the company was granted a reprieve that stretched the window to work until October 10, which enabled it to discover a major field with about 750 million barrels of new oil for Russia.

In 2013, Tillerson was awarded the Order of Friendship by President Putin for contribution to developing cooperation in the energy sector.

As of January 2017, Tillerson personally owns stock in the Russian, internet-technology company Yandex, estimated to be at most $15,000 in value.

Ties in Middle East
From 2003 to 2005, a European subsidiary of ExxonMobil, Infineum, operated in the Middle East providing sales to Iran, Sudan and Syria. In that period, Infineum made sales of $53.2 million in Iran, $600,000 in Sudan and $1.1 million in Syria respectively. ExxonMobil stated that they followed all legal framework and that such sales were minuscule compared to their annual revenue of $371 billion at the time. Democratic Senator Bob Menendez, a member of the United States Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, commented on the topic stating that he felt "deeply skeptical about Mr. Tillerson’s actions as CEO of Exxon that were in direct contravention to express United States policies put in place to secure Americans and our country" and that "[f]inding loopholes to make lucrative business deals with geo-political adversaries, while showing no clear regard for U.S. national interests, is not a resume builder for a prospective diplomat-in-chief".

In 2011, Tillerson, on behalf of ExxonMobil, signed a deal to develop oil fields in the autonomous region of Iraqi Kurdistan. The agreement was in defiance of Iraqi law, which forbids companies from dealing directly with Iraqi Kurdistan.

Compensation
In 2012, Tillerson's compensation package was $40.5 million. It was $28.1 million in 2013, $33.1 million in 2014, and $27.2 million in 2015. Tillerson holds $245 million of Exxon stock.

On 3 January 2017, ExxonMobil announced they had reached an agreement with Tillerson "to sever all ties with the company to comply with conflict-of-interest requirements associated with his nomination as secretary of state."

Other affiliations
Tillerson is also a trustee for the Center for Strategic and International Studies and the American Petroleum Institute. He is also a member of the Business Roundtable.

He was a member of the executive committee of The Business Council for 2011 and 2012.
After the end of his term as as BSA president, he remained on the organization's National Executive Board. There he played a significant role in the board's 2013 decision to rescind the long-standing ban on openly gay youth as members. According to Center for Strategic and International Studies president John Hamre, Tillerson was instrumental in the change and "a key leader in helping the group come to a consensus."

Political views
In 2014 Tillerson expressed opposition to the sanctions against Russia in response to the annexation of Crimea at an Exxon shareholder meeting. He told the meeting "We do not support sanctions, generally, because we don't find them to be effective unless they are very well implemented comprehensively and that's a very hard thing to do." In 2016, Tillerson said that the US should have deployed military units to neighboring states next to Russia in a more "muscular" response.

Climate change and carbon tax
In 2010, Tillerson said that while he acknowledged that humans were affecting the climate through greenhouse gas emissions to some degree, it was not yet clear "to what extent and therefore what can you do about it."

Tillerson also stated, "The world is going to have to continue using fossil fuels, whether they like it or not."

Tillerson stated in 2009 that he favors a carbon tax as "the most efficient means of reflecting the cost of carbon in all economic decisions—from investments made by companies to fuel their requirements to the product choices made by consumers." In October 2016, less than two months before his nomination as Secretary of State, he gave a speech in which he reaffirmed that ExxonMobil had long viewed a carbon tax to be “the best policy of those being considered. Replacing the hodge-podge of current, largely ineffective regulations with a revenue-neutral carbon tax would ensure a uniform and predictable cost of carbon across the economy . . . allow market forces to drive solutions . . . maximize transparency, reduce administrative complexity, promote global participation and easily adjust” to new knowledge in climate science and in the policy consequences of various courses of action.

An article in The New York Times published after Tillerson's Secretary of State nomination suggested that ExxonMobil's embrace of a carbon tax in October 2009 may have simply been an effort to avoid cap and trade legislation that was then under consideration in the U.S. Congress. A Time magazine article asserts that since Tillerson announced ExxonMobil's preference for a carbon tax, the giant oil company "has not made a carbon tax a focus of its massive lobbying efforts and has supported a number of candidates and organizations that oppose measures to tackle the [climate change] issue."

Support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)
In 2013, Tillerson outlined his support for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), stating at the Global Security Forum: "One of the most promising developments on this front is the ongoing effort for the Trans-Pacific Partnership... The 11 nations that have been working to lower trade barriers and end protectionist policies under this partnership are a diverse mix of developed and developing economies. But all of them understand the value of open markets to growth and progress for every nation.”
Old Tuesday 24th January 2017, 19:59   #25
fugl
Forum Member

Trump's nominee for the Department for Health and Human Services equivocates on spurious autism/vaccine link--

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e3a7356be531
Advertisement
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: