Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Regent Bowerbird, New South Wales, October

Old Friday 15th June 2018, 20:00   #1
jwreeves

Regent Bowerbird, New South Wales, October

Looking for advice on where my best chance of seeing this bird is. The trip is fairly well booked up now, so barring dropping 2 planned days in the capertee valley, I have 1 full day devoted to finding some, and I need to get back to Sydney in the evening for a pelagic the following morning. I don't mind getting back late if needs be.

Ourimbah RTA reserve and nearby rest area appear to be the closest sites, although have been told they are tricky here. Currently thinking I will probably start my search here anyway due to convenience, and head north afterwards if I don't strike lucky. Although could just as easily do it the opposite way if they are easier at sites I can reach further north. Think Port Macquarie is about as far as I can go.

Regarding the Ourimbah RTA reserve, is it open access 24 hours(hoping to start at first light), and the parking area is immediately west of the M1 on ourimbah creek road? Have looked on street view but it appears to have a high fence around it? And are there any favoured trails/area that the species is seen more often or is it just pot luck? Also, is there any access into the reserve from the rest area? That too appears to be surrounded by a high fence.

Further north, sea acres and kooloonbung creek nature park around Port Macquarie appear to have them, and heading south, cattai wetlands, saltwater national park, cape hawke and myall lakes are other spots that stand out on ebird. Are any of these sites generally more reliable than Ourimbah and would be worth the extra driving? Will be keeping an eye on ebird closer to the time, but any help on finding them would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: