Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reliable Woodland Sites

Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 13:03   #1
jmmorton

Reliable Woodland Sites

Hi - I live nr Nottingham and I'm doing the #my200birdyear and thinking of coming over to Derbyshire to look for Pied and Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart and Wood Warbler plus Dipper and other good stuff. I've searched online but can't seem to find any up to date and reliable sites.

Are you able to recommend any sites to concentrate my efforts. I can only do weekends and have limited 'windows'. Is Goyt Valley still a good place? Presume early mornings are best.

I appreciate the sensitivity so some generalisation would help.

Thanks in advance

Jonno
Old Tuesday 23rd April 2019, 20:51   #2
Goyter

Goyt valley should give you those except wood Warbler which is very sporadic
Can meet up if you like( I live very close to reliable pied fly site - had one in my garden 3 days ago)
Send me a pm if interested
Old Wednesday 24th April 2019, 07:24   #3
D0c

Padley Gorge near Grindleford best place for Pied Flycatcher I got 12 there a few days ago. Also saw Redstarts and Tree Pipits there. A bit to early for Wood Warblers but they are there as well but small numbers.
Old Thursday 25th April 2019, 07:59   #4
jmmorton

Thanks both. I also had Shining cliff Woods recommended to me so a few options there. The forecast looks poor for the weekend and my wife has done her back in so it may not yet happen but thanks for the info and the kind offer to meet up.

Jonno
Old Thursday 2nd May 2019, 17:55   #5
Gronk08

Hi
For Dipper I recently had at least three pairs along Wye Dale just outside Buxton between the car park and the cottages/cycle hire hut.
One pair is nesting quite close to the main carpark so you almost don't have to get out of the car.
The Goyt Valley is a great spot seen in past years Tree Pipit, Redstart, Pied Flycatchers there never been lucky enough to see Wood Warbler there a walk along the road alongside the Errwood Reservoir should get you all of the mentioned species (from the car park by the dam (which goes up the steep bank) to the car park at the opposite end. I have often heard Cuckoo there as well but not really gone looking for them.
Goyter will be your man though for the full intel on the site being a Staffs boy I don't know the place that well.

All the best

Tim.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: