Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding in the time of Coronavirus

Old Thursday 12th March 2020, 14:28   #1
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Birding in the time of Coronavirus

So we are stuck. We can go out within the precincts of the town council only to buy groceries and/or medicines, or other necessary errands such as going to the bank or the post office.

We are as yet unsure if going for a walk, provided we keep our distance from other people (as we have been doing for the past few days) will be permitted.

Travel outside one’s own town of residence is permitted only for work, health reasons and for visiting relatives who need assistance.

Besides the obvious impact on birdwatching there is also the concern over conservation efforts all over the country, of which I have spoken briefly here.

This means that our birding for the time being will be strictly limited to what we can see in town (luckily a small one and we live on the edge of it), or from the car when I go to check on an elderly relative an hour’s drive away.

Unfortunately we don’t have a proper garden, just a small strip of grass with a few rose bushes and a baby cherry tree by the road, which doesn’t provide entertainment in the form of bird life.

We do have some feeders at the back, next to our garage, which borders on a wooded area. In the past we have recorded up to 20 species here in winter, including Dunnock, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Long-tailed Tit, Crossbill, Hawfinch and Sparrowhawk. In the past couple of years however most of the pine trees closest to the garage have been chopped down , meaning that there is a large emptyish space (apart from some smaller shrubs) between the wooded area and the feeders, and species numbers have decreased considerably. Nuthatch was one of the most reliable visitors but this winter we have seen it only a few times, the Crossbills haven’t been seen for years, together with Goldcrests, Long-tailed Tits and Dunnocks.

The most assiduous customers are the 4 species of Tits in order of frequency: Coal, Marsh, Blue and Great and, from late December to March, the terrible Siskins, which descend on our feeders like the Huns, sometimes 60-80 at a time, destroying our supplies of sunflower seeds and home-made fat balls (recipe here) in no time at all and chasing away the shier tits. But the last few days have brought some welcome surprises on which I will elaborate below.

Anyway, to pass the time while we are stuck at home I will try to post what little we can see at the feeders, during our brief jaunts into town and my drives to my relative’s place. Sort of a blog from the quarantine area! Stay tuned for the updates!

The record shots below are from years ago. No snow this year. The mildest winter ever recorded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03 lucherini-mang2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	720851  Click image for larger version

Name:	04 lucherini-peppola1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	720852  Click image for larger version

Name:	05 lucherino-cinciarella.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	720853  Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Frosone 2825 copia_01.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	720854  Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Crociere_09_01_16_016 copia.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	720855  

BF Supporter 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 12th March 2020, 14:37   #2
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Yesterday I drove to my mum’s, just over an hour’s drive through very pleasant countryside, vineyards, olive groves and past a couple of nature reserves. I was looking forward to the drive as G had seen the first Short-toed Eagle of the year a couple of days before (before the total lockdown), and on my previous visit I had seen several Kestrels and a group of Cattle Egrets.

Instead it was a bit disappointing, as I only saw 2 Buzzards, Jackdaws and lots of Italian Sparrows. On the way back I took a shortcut that runs closer to the edge of a reserve, but I only saw flocks of Chaffinches and a lone Goldfinch. Closer to home, at the edge of another reserve, an unexpected Cormorant flew across the river.

In the late afternoon we went for a walk around town and saw Blackcap and Wren.

Old Thursday 12th March 2020, 14:49   #3
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Today I went to refill the feeders, but wasn’t very hopeful as bird traffic had slowed down considerably in the past few days; I was also a bit depressed at the idea of the long birdless weeks in front of us.

At first there were only a few Siskins and the usual Coal and Marsh Tits. After a while a Great Tit appeared, too, and then all of a sudden things sped up and Bramblings (I counted at least 8, mostly males), Greenfinches (probably a pair) and Blue Tits appeared. I hadn’t brought my binoculars, so I rushed down the front, then up the stairs and down and up again and as I was approaching I saw a largish bird land on the hazelnut tree next to the feeders: Hawfinch! The first one of the year, a female. Some 15 minutes later a male also put in an appearance. Also a couple of Blackbirds were rustling about below the feeders, while the Siskins and Bramblings came and went. A very enjoyable hour or so, which definitely lightened my mood. I love Bramblings , but the Hawfinches were a real bonus. I also heard a Green Woodpecker.

Old Thursday 12th March 2020, 16:36   #4
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

and one Robin when I went to check the feeders earlier this afternoon.

Old Friday 13th March 2020, 14:05   #5
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Very slow today. Still good numbers of Siskins, and the usual Coal, Marsh and Blue Tits. Great Tit heard only. A Magpie and a couple of Collared Doves around. A Blue Tit was furiously chasing a Coal Tit around. Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning's drive to my mum's.

Old Saturday 14th March 2020, 16:50   #6
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Saturday

I forgot to say that the other day when we went for a walk we also saw a Grey Wagtail by a pond at the edge of town.

Anyway today I could get out! My hopes of seeing a Short-toed Eagle were dashed as soon as I got up to thick fog (or rather low cloud cover, as we live at 850 metres) and a light drizzle, certainly not a good day for BOPs. The feeders were pretty quiet too: a few Siskins, and the usual trio of Tits: Coal, Marsh and Blue.

Anyway, I took the sight of a Green Woodpecker as I was leaving town as a good omen. The most striking thing of the past few days, birdwise, is that with the rountry roads almost empty, a lot of birds forage on them or just by the side so one must be extra careful. Today was much emptier than Wednesday, presumably both because the lockdown has been tightened since then and because being a Saturday there is even less commercial traffic, no lorries and just a few vans. The good thing about this is that during the whole trip I didn’t get one single idiot tailgating me (very rare occurrence in this country). Anyway the sight of the empty roads is really unsettling: I don't think I have ever seen them this empty in the daytime - I had the radio on and David Bowie's "Life on Mars" came on and I can tell you that that was what it felt like.

Most abundant birds were Wood Pigeons, Jays, very bright in the dull light, and cackling Magpies. Among the little ones, Chaffinches, Italian Sparrows, Great Tits and a couple of Corn Buntings.

As I was getting into the car to come back, a White Wagtail appeared on a roof. Further on, in front of a winery two Cattle Egrets and immediately after a nice Buzzard sitting on a post by the side of the road. driving through the next village, a nice surprise: House Martins! Then a Wren flew across the road to hide in a bush. A little while later I stopped to have a better look at a female Black Redstart and at the same time a Great Spotted Woodpecker flew into a tree. I heard, but did not see a Serin sing. A lone Cormorant flew across a field (?), then the usual flock of Jackdaws circling around the ancient part of the next town. Driving through a stretch of woodland I heard a Chiffchaff, then as I was getting closer to home, another Buzzard on another post and finally, the icing on the cake: a Red Kite!

After lunch I went for a walk, seeing a nice pair of Black Redstarts.

Today I can’t really complain!

Below some pics of the empty town, another uncanny sight on a Saturday afternoon in spring. Especially the grassy ring around the athletics track is a favourite walking/idling/gossiping spot in town. The last two pics are signs that Italian kids all over the country have been encouraged to draw and hang on balconies, saying "Everything is going to be all right" with a rainbow.

That's it from the lockdown today!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pratino.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	985.4 KB
ID:	721010  Click image for larger version

Name:	camposport.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	653.3 KB
ID:	721011  Click image for larger version

Name:	tutto-bene.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	581.8 KB
ID:	721012  Click image for larger version

Name:	tutto-bene2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	545.1 KB
ID:	721013  

Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 02:22   #7
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Maybe keep a tally of the number of species that you see whilst ubder lockdown? If you have a valid reason to travel, I guess you are not allowed to stop and have a wander on route?

Last edited by Jos Stratford : Sunday 15th March 2020 at 10:44.

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 06:45   #8
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Maybe keep a tally of the number of species that you see whilst ubder lockdown? If you have a valud reason to travel, I guess you are not allowed to dtop and have a wander on route?
I guess your notebook could self-incriminate, as well.....

Guerilla birding!

John
Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 07:37   #9
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Maybe keep a tally of the number of species that you see whilst ubder lockdown? If you have a valud reason to travel, I guess you are not allowed to dtop and have a wander on route?
Yes, I have been thinking about it. I don't think wandering is allowed, but I have taken dubious "shortcuts" on dirt roads and stopped by the side of the road to have a better look at things flying in the distance.

John: no dates in my notebook, so can't be used as a proof!

Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 09:07   #10
foresttwitcher

Interesting thread - keep it up.

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 13:52   #11
Warixenjalka

I remember when we were "on your neighborhoods" there was always peoples on sight. I can't imagine what it looks like now... Wait - OK - I can imagine it. It must be like country roads here at any day.

Sorry. Maybe I shouldn't joke about this... I hope the things are going better for there.
This side of Europe Corona just beginning to spread. More than 500 person public events have been canceled, but the schools are still open and there is no restriction on movements (within the country) - yet. And hopefully it wan't happen. It would be a terrible if you can't go to birdwatching when ever you want and where ever you want.

Keep up posting and good birding.
Last lifer: Isabelline Wheatear #436, WP ticks: 326, Finnish ticks: 264 (Firecrest), Eco ticks: 200 (Spotted Crake), Yard tics (alltime): 114 (Northern Wheatear), Photo ticks: 406 (Ortolan Bunting)
Old Sunday 15th March 2020, 19:04   #12
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Thanks, all. Unfortunately it seems (from what they say and from the figures they give every day) that we haven't reached the peak of the epidemic yet. Total lockdown should be until the 25th and schools are due to reopen on April 3rd, but we all fear that it's going to take much longer, maybe after Easter, maybe more. In the meantime we can just hope for the best.

Today I birded by proxy, as G spent some time at the back near the feeders, reporting the usual species, Siskins and Tits, plus a few Greenfinches. From the balcony I heard a Green Woodpecker and saw a few Tree Sparrows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	siskin.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	505.0 KB
ID:	721214  Click image for larger version

Name:	blue-tit.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	721215  Click image for larger version

Name:	coal-tit.jpg
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	721216  Click image for larger version

Name:	marsh-tit.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	721217  Click image for larger version

Name:	greenfinches.jpg
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	721218  

Old Monday 16th March 2020, 15:37   #13
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

G went cycling just outside town (but within its precinct) early this morning and heard a Tawny Owl calling. He also heard Nuthatch, Short-toed Treecreeper and Green Woodpecker.

At the feeders the usual customers plus again Greenfinch, Hawfinch and several (at least 7) Brambling. I also heard Chiffchaff.

Old Monday 16th March 2020, 15:55   #14
Sancho
BF Supporter 2020

Hi 3Italianbirders,
My best wishes to you and your loved ones, from Ireland. Thank you for your enlightening thread. I hope all your people are safe. When this is all over, we will enjoy life again, but many will not be with us.
Sancho

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th March 2020, 16:59   #15
dantheman
Bah humbug

Yes, stay safe, sane and well.

Keep this thread going of course (nice pics!), there is also the garden listing thread here for anyone who gets the urge to record and focus on their ongoing garden lists in this time of enforced 'rest'.
Old Monday 16th March 2020, 19:14   #16
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Thank you Sancho, we are all well, at least for the time being, but we might still be incubating, so we try to be as careful as possible and hope for the best!

Dan: I think that staying sane will be the hardest!

Old Monday 16th March 2020, 20:16   #17
Muso

Glad to hear you're well. Enjoying your pix. Keep on keeping on. All the best.
Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 17:08   #18
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

So, today was "driving to my mum's day" again. Unfortunately the clear blue skies of the past couple of days had been replaced by kind of terrible white high cloud cover that turns every bird into a dark blob, but still it was bound to be better than staying at home!

On the outward journey I didn't pay much attention to what was happening outside the car as I was listening to the radio, but did see the usual selection of Corvids (I didn't count them, so I can't say if they were 19 or not ...), Jays, Jackdaws, Magpies and Hooded Crows. No BOPs, Chaffinches by the side of the road, but one Cirl Bunting on a wire did catch my eye.

At my mum's, an Italian Sparrow was happily pecking away at one of the fat balls on her tiny balcony. I must post a photo next time because it's really something.

On the way back, I rolled down the windows and concentrated on the birding (well on the road, too ). Soon after leaving town, I saw a Moorhen in a ditch and then heard the first of the many Zitting Cisticolas of the day, and also another Cirl Bunting. A Buzzard was circling over a field, and soon after, in another ditch I saw two Little Egrets, then a flock of Goldfinches scattered over the next field, and further on a Grey Heron.

I also heard several Great Tits and one Chiffchaff and, closer to home two resident Stonechats that I hadn't yet seen during the previous trips. But the best sighting of the day came soon after: two Short-toed Eagles circling and hovering fairly close (shame about the terrible white sky, or the views would have been perfect).

After lunch we went for a hike with G in the woodland behind our flat. It was pretty quiet apart from a few Coal Tits and the occasional Blackbird, but we did hear Song Thrushes. Also lots of toads in a pond just outside town, unfortunately the photo is completely out of focus! I didn't have my reading glasses and didn't notice that the phone had focused on the wall instead. I had never seen toads swimming! Bumblebees were about too. The final bird of the day was a cracking Firecrest that sung by the primary school, must be one of my favourite birds!

I want to say that if anyone else is birding while in lockdown feel free to hijack this thread!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crocus.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	686.0 KB
ID:	721390  Click image for larger version

Name:	toads.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	721391  Click image for larger version

Name:	bumblebees.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	802.0 KB
ID:	721392  

Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 18:13   #19
dantheman
Bah humbug

Good stuff - nice one on the eagles!

Just wondering - how are you going about seeing your Mum? ie are you in minimal other contact with others (eg when doing essential food shopping/other members of your family seeing other relatives), and are you observing all the social distancing recommendations when with her?
Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 19:10   #20
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

That's a rather nice day, good stuff.

Can't you 'drive to your mother's' house' every day? :)

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 19:25   #21
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Good stuff - nice one on the eagles!

Just wondering - how are you going about seeing your Mum? ie are you in minimal other contact with others (eg when doing essential food shopping/other members of your family seeing other relatives), and are you observing all the social distancing recommendations when with her?
Good question. The Government has made available a form which has to be filled out stating the nature of your business, i.e. why you are outside and/or outside your council of residence.

The valid reasons are: shopping for essentials, health reasons, work (although a lot less people go to work now - even banks are open every other day), returning to your place of residence if you were somewhere else, and "necessary trips" which include those to assist vulnerable/elderly family members.

You can also exercise outdoors by yourself or with members of your household, always keeping your distance, but it has to be real exercise, not a stroll chatting with a friend. For this you don't need the declaration.

I have been stopped only once and that was coming back from my mum's upon entering the (small) town where I live; the policeman knew me and knew that my mum lives somewhere else so I didn't need to show him the declaration. So I am not really sure that my piece of paper will pass scrutiny but I hope so, as letting her do her own shopping would be infinitely more dangerous than me visiting her twice a week.

I am in minimal contact with others when shopping in the local supermarket (shopping must be in the outlet closest to where you live), but they let in only a limited number of people at a time (the others queue outside, rain or shine), which must keep a distance of at least one metre from each other when inside (and this is enforced, but we are becoming accustomed to keeping our distance from others). Oh and when you get in you have to use the antiseptic gel they provide and use disposable gloves. I also wear a surgical mask, although that is not compulsory (and they are sold out everywhere, we had a few at home from when we renovated). At check-out cashiers are protected by a large plexiglas screen and only one person at a time is allowed through and until they have finished bagging their stuff you are not allowed to go ahead.

When I visit her I wear a mask and disposable gloves, don't touch anything, always keep my distance and stay as little as possible, leave the shopping, chat for 10 minutes and leave.

The problem is that each morning, apart from when I go, she goes down to the newsagent to buy the paper. I have offered to buy her an online subscription (she has an iPad) but she says she wants the real thing. She wears a mask and gloves when she goes and only one customer at a time is allowed inside the tiny newsagents'. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! Andrà tutto bene!

Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 19:28   #22
3Italianbirders
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
That's a rather nice day, good stuff.

Can't you 'drive to your mother's' house' every day? :)
I suppose I could, but I am already nervous going twice a week, as she is not disabled or anything, so I am afraid that they could tell me to let her do her own shopping!

Old Tuesday 17th March 2020, 19:59   #23
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Italianbirders View Post
Good question. The Government has made available a form which has to be filled out stating the nature of your business, i.e. why you are outside and/or outside your council of residence.

The problem is that each morning, apart from when I go, she goes down to the newsagent to buy the paper. I have offered to buy her an online subscription (she has an iPad) but she says she wants the real thing. She wears a mask and gloves when she goes and only one customer at a time is allowed inside the tiny newsagents'. I can only keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best! Andrà tutto bene!
Thanks for the detailed insight. Sounds pretty rigorous, until the information reached in the final paragraph ...

(Which is probably ok, but there will always/usually be some weak link in the chain)
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 09:07   #24
gerald762

Here in Spain we are in total lock down. You can only leave your house for absolute essentials. People are being told off for stepping outside to smoke a cigarette. You can take ONE dog outside for a pee etc. then you have to go back in. Fortunately we don't live in town and have a hectare of land we can walk around on. Only one person per car is allowed to travel to the shops. One of us will have to go soon as we are running out of wine!!!!!
A bit of birding can be done from the terrace. Vultures, kestrels, booted eagle and the garden birds, goldfinch, blackcap, sardinian warbler and stonechat.
We are in for a long lean period.
Old Wednesday 18th March 2020, 10:32   #25
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald762 View Post
Here in Spain we are in total lock down. You can only leave your house for absolute essentials. People are being told off for stepping outside to smoke a cigarette. ....
Brings up the old one . . . Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? . . . who is being out to do the telling off, and how are they avoiding the virus while being out??
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: