Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

LCE adaptor Mod

Old Sunday 20th July 2003, 18:48   #1
pete schofield

Question LCE adaptor Mod

Have you got an early LCE adaptor. Mine is for a Leica and is a very snug fit on my 20-60 eyepiece, but it is held in place by 3 small white plastic screws.

Now you will find as you get older all your facilities start to go i.e. a bit hamfisted, and I found these 3 screws a little too awkward to get on with.

Bought eagleeye version which is very good, but my LCE version is a better, snugger fit.

So what to do. Well I am reaonably competent at DIY well I can turn a drill on.

Take one LCE adaptor + one 5mm screw and nut, drill out one hole on adaptor to 5.5mm. Put 5mm screw through hole from inside of adaptor just drilled attach nut, carefully apply araldite around hole on outside of adaptor tighten screw to hold nut in place.

Leave 24 hours. Undo screw and screw in from outside place Andy's electrical tape around head of screw to suit.

VOILLA I can use it again.

Hope this is of use to someone.

Pete
Old Sunday 20th July 2003, 18:58   #2
Andy Bright
Administrator
BF Supporter 2020

Thanks Pete, I well remember those extremely unpleasant little white nylon screws (with fragile threads!) that were a nightmare to tighten on frosty mornings... I think the very first version that I received had just the one screw (never found I needed to use more anyway). I got Trev to send me about twenty spare ones!

I'd often thought about getting larger screws, but the wall thickness of the adapter was too thin for comfort.
Laurence Poh suggested glueing a small toothpaste top (or similar) to the top of the screws to provide something larger to get a grip of.
Regards,
Andy

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th July 2003, 19:46   #3
stevo

I know what you mean about the screws being fiddly,just a thought to make the screws easier to hold/turn why not use wingnuts instead?

Regards Stevo.
Old Sunday 20th July 2003, 21:41   #4
pete schofield

Stevo

Wing nuts sound like a good idea but could prove difficult to source, at least I'm not sure our local DIY emporiumstock them.

I did think of trying to araldite a suitable nut on to the end of the screw.

As you can see I like my araldite.

Pete
Old Saturday 2nd August 2003, 01:53   #5
Douglas Bolt

I discarded the three screws from my LCE and simply wrapped a turn or two of black plastic electrical tape around the eyepiece so the adapter fits snugly on the eyepiece. Works fine without the screws.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: