• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Views wanted.... (1 Viewer)

El Annie

Phew..............
Just wandering if members have any views on what time of day is best to go birding? I've noticed that early-mid afternoon is very quiet, could this be siesta time for our feathered friends???

El Annie :)

Hi Annie!

My backyard birds come roaring back to the feeders at daybreak, and feed ravenously for several hours. Then they are here and there, but mostly here....The greatest numbers are in the morning, and just before sun down.

^Wings^

o:)

Annie,
Early in the morning is traditionally the best time but that means getting up at an amazingly early hour in midsummer. You may have to get up early to go ringing to as they tend to make an early start. Start yawning now!!:t:

Colin

At any time of year, dawn is the best time to be out for the next few hours.

If it is a tidal area then a couple of hours before high tide so you can be in position for the birds coming in with the tide.

If it is roost watching then a couple of hours before dark.

Enjoy your watching
burhinus

I find that early morning is definitely the best time to see most birds as they come onto feed after the night time roost. Also I find 1.00pm-2.00pm is a pretty good time to see them both in the garden and in the wild. I suppose feeding patterns may vary, but my experience is that birds do seem to have feeding frenzies throughout the day. Afternoons I find are quiet.

I have often found that an hour after first light and an hour before last light are the most productive.....which makes sense as they wake up pretty hungry and also need to feed up for the night (a bit like me).
Andy B

El Annie

The morning is probably the best time since the birds are getting their food and trying to get their work done for the new day. They do a bit more eating and working in the late afternoon/evening. The midday/early afternoon is usually the quietest since they are basically 'hiding' from the larger birds and other predators. Besides staying out of the sun, etc., in warmer weather/areas.

I have the best luck with feeder birds starting around 7AM. Then I get waves of feeding during the day, usually about 1:30PM and again at 3:30PM and again around an hour before dusk.

For Owls I start looking now about 4PM, which is an hour before dusk.

In the summer, when the resident Red-Tailed Hawks are nesting and their young are about to fledge, I set up my spotting scope between 8PM to 9PM to watch the nestlings trying out and exercising their wings in the thermals.

For duckwatching, really anytime. But I try to choose a time when there is less wind and some sun. Otherwise the ducks will have their heads tucked under their wings.

Birdwatcher

El Annie,

I also find birds feed early. I have been scouting out some new territory this Winter so I might have time to attack it in the Spring:). I plan on getting to some choice spots before the birds rise and wait quietly. I bought a camo pancho and have a cushion to make things easier.

The folks around here are much more hi tech:), but I'm still new at this. If I can sit quietly, I might actually get some good pictures.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back