• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (1 Viewer)

I've just had to rescue a young house sparrow which is well feathered but not enough to have fledged yet as it can't fly yet.

It had fallen out of its nest in the privet hedge next door onto a main road. The mother was close by as was the nest. I understand you're supposed to leave them but it really didn't stand a chance.

I have it in a box an would welcome any advice on what to with it.

If anybody with an avery or pet birds would be able to look after it until it is able to fly that would be great. I'm in the Newcastle/South Tyneside area.

Regards,

Stew

I've just had to rescue a young house sparrow which is well feathered but not enough to have fledged yet as it can't fly yet.

It had fallen out of its nest in the privet hedge next door onto a main road. The mother was close by as was the nest. I understand you're supposed to leave them but it really didn't stand a chance.

If anybody with an avery or pet birds would be able to look after it until it is able to fly that would be great. I'm in the Newcastle/South Tyneside area.

Regards,

Stew

Hi Stew

many young songbirds jump the nest before they can fly, they just sit around on the ground looking helpless !! This is fairly common and quite normal....

Best advice put it back exactly where you found it, parent birds can look after baby birds much better that humans ! Generally speaking adults will know where the young are and come and feed them + look after them....

Its great that people care enough to try and look after these young birds, but picking them up can cause them more harm than good at this stage... and really they should be allowed to take thier chances in the wild...

If you are concerned that they are obvious to cats/in a main road etc..etc... its fine to move them just a little, but put them somewhere very close by with some cover, but definately where mum and dad will be able to find them and feed them...

Hope this helps.....

Thanks a lot, I've put it back on the other side of the hedge, not the road side so I hope it doesn't find its way back through.

Nice shrike shot by the way, it was hoyin' down the first day... wish I could have got back up when the weather improved. Typical!

Regards,

Stew

There's no point in collecting just one. You need a few to make a pie :-O

After not going last year, had a look up to Slaley Forest on Wednesday night for Nightjar. Smashing views of a Cuckoo - watched it for at least 30 minutes - it never called once - and as the gloom turned (very slowly) to night the heavens opened!

Bizarre getting soaked by the rain while being eaten alive by the dreaded midge! - eventually after adding Tree Pipit and roding Woodcock, at 22.12 a single Nightjar churred into action.

That's as good as it got though and it remained elusive. Too many BH Gulls in the vicinity - especially flying in near dark, and indeed in the dark raising hopes of all sorts.

No wonder people go in July - we just picked the wrong night as other nights had been perfect.

Steve

Confirmation of bird identification, please

On our way back from Bassenthwaite uesterday, we came along the south Tyne Valley. We stopped at the Bridge near Slaggford, and I took pics of several birds on the rocks in the river below the bridge.
Are they both the same bird - Yellow Wagtail?
One has the yellow under the belly; the other seems to have it under the chin. I'd appreciate any help, please.

Taken with my Olympus SPO550UZ, using the Zoom.

Attachments

• River-bird-1web.jpg
    River-bird-1web.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 65
  • River-bird-2-web.jpg
    River-bird-2-web.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 67
Boa Tarde!

That's Portuguese for Good Day, and it was four good days spent there this week. My mum had written me a letter asking if I could take my scope and bins and Mrs M agreed!

Morning of day 2 it was off to Castro Marim, at the east end of the Algarve near the Spanish border. This area is a mix of salt pans and marsh and arid slopes. On the way in got a male Montagu's Harrier followed soon after by a female, then a Red-rumped Swallow (L) then a Woodchat Shrike (L). A Pratincole sp flew overhead but I could not get it in view to call the species. Some poorish photos follow.

Then off to the salt pans, with more Avoctes than I have ever seen, plus equal numbers of Black-winged Stilts and Greater Flamingoes and another Lifer, Kentish Plovers. A Little Owl was on the Information Centre roof and several Great Grey Shrikes were in the area including one that decided it fancied Fan-tailed Warbler (L) for tea (efter 30 seconds of cat'n'mouse aerial pursuit, the FTW got away.

Attachments

• Castro Marim 2.JPG
    Castro Marim 2.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Catro Marim.JPG
    Catro Marim.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Castro Marim

The record shots!

Attachments

• Avocet and Kentish Plover.JPG
    Avocet and Kentish Plover.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Great Grey Shrike.JPG
    Great Grey Shrike.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Greater Flamingo.JPG
    Greater Flamingo.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Little Owl.JPG
    Little Owl.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 68
  • White Stork 2.JPG
    White Stork 2.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 63
Quintas do Lago

Day 3, to the west of Faro, still in the Rio Formosa National Park, bagged Purple Swamp-hen (L), Serin(L), Great Reed Warbler (L), Turtle Dove as well as more routine Coots, Moorhens, Little and Great Crested Grebes, Red Crested Pochard.

Attachments

• PSH 2.JPG
    PSH 2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Serin 1.JPG
    Serin 1.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Quinta do Lago 1.JPG
    Quinta do Lago 1.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
On our way back from Bassenthwaite uesterday, we came along the south Tyne Valley. We stopped at the Bridge near Slaggford, and I took pics of several birds on the rocks in the river below the bridge.
Are they both the same bird - Yellow Wagtail?
One has the yellow under the belly; the other seems to have it under the chin. I'd appreciate any help, please.

Taken with my Olympus SPO550UZ, using the Zoom.

Grey Wagtails, June.

And finally!

The last day, off to the Rio Formosa NP HQ south of Olhao (pronounced Oo-lee-ow). Some superb views of Bee-eaters (L), Cattle Egret (L), YLG (L) and Sardinian Warbler (L) amongst the increasingly common Little Egret and White Stork.

Attachments

• Cattle Egret 4.jpg
    Cattle Egret 4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Little Egret 1.JPG
    Little Egret 1.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Sardinian Warbler 2.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler 2.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
A few pictures from around Rothbury on Monday.

Attachments

• dfhhff 021.jpg
    dfhhff 021.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 57
  • dfhhff 029.jpg
    dfhhff 029.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 80
  • dfhhff 030.jpg
    dfhhff 030.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 58
  • dfhhff 018.jpg
    dfhhff 018.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 103
Rothbury

A few pictures from around Rothbury on Monday.

Lovely photos, Derek. Thanks for sharing. We have just returned from Bassenthwaite. In the Hotel garden, at the north end of the Lake, a GS Woodpecker regularly fed its youngster at the feeder. Interesting to see the red patch on the immature's head.
Goldfinches do the opposite - the youngsters don't have the red patch, whilst the adults do.

Mystery Portuguese Bird

A long shot I know but one bird I could not photograph nor could i/d was a bright yellow, finch-like beauty with a black head. It was not a Black-headed Bunting (no chestnut on the body) but generally looked similar. The whole head was black though. It was not in Collins nor any of the other books I have.

Thoughts?

A long shot I know but one bird I could not photograph nor could i/d was a bright yellow, finch-like beauty with a black head. It was not a Black-headed Bunting (no chestnut on the body) but generally looked similar. The whole head was black though. It was not in Collins nor any of the other books I have.

Thoughts?

You're at wrong end of the med for BH Bunting - they're restricted to the Eastern side.

What about Golden Bishop? They're an introduced species but they're very yellow with a black face. I think they're in the Algarve -parks and wetlands and stuff?

ps: Here's a BH Bunting from Turkey a couple of years back from a trip to Turkey. You'll have to Google for Golden Bishop.

Attachments

• Black-Headed Bunting - Uzumlu (4).JPG
    Black-Headed Bunting - Uzumlu (4).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
What about one of the Bishops? There are all sorts of things flying and breeding loose in Southern Spain and Portugal. I've seen flocks of common mynahs, superb starlings and the odd blue-eared glossy starling.

What about one of the Bishops? There are all sorts of things flying and breeding loose in Southern Spain and Portugal. I've seen flocks of common mynahs, superb starlings and the odd blue-eared glossy starling.

I concur (see above) - Golden Bishop.

Was surprised to see it isn't in Collins mind - thought they were in but just checked and it seems they're not.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back