• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Major update to Canon DPP (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Canon have announced major software updates for Canon Digital Photo Professional and EOS Utility.
DPP 4.0 NEW KEY FEATURES:

- Faster, real-time adjustments.
- Improved RAW file workflow.
- Better, more approachable user interfaces.
- Compatible with 64-bit native environments.
- Colour adjustments for specific colour gamuts.
- Improved highlight recovery provides expanded tonality.
- Improved shadow recovery function.
- Support for movie playback.
- Auto Lighting Optimizer can be applied to JPEG images.
- Better integration with EOS Utility.

DPP 4.0 is only compatible with the following cameras at the moment (Other cameras will be added when DPP 3.14 is released):

- EOS-1D X
- EOS-1D C
- EOS 6D
- EOS 5D Mark III

I hope they expand to more...I use version 3.7.2...so where does that fit into anything? By 'usage' you must be talking a direct download using that software for I use DPP on all photos one way or another.... jim

I hope they expand to more...I use version 3.7.2...so where does that fit into anything? By 'usage' you must be talking a direct download using that software for I use DPP on all photos one way or another.... jim
They will be adding more Cameras Jim.
Not sure why you are still on 3.7.2 as 3.14.15 is freely available as an update to the old style DPP.

BTW you can download DPP 4.0 from the Hong Gong site HERE. You will need the serial number of your Camera. I have already downloaded and installed no problem. Just need to get to grips with it now as it is a totally different layout to DPP 3.

Mmmmm. Won't accept my serial no. on a 1DIV purchased fully legit from UK retailer. Nor my 7D from Kelso. BUT IT DID ACCEPT MY SX50 SERIAL o:)

Just posting in case others have any problems

Thanks for the link, Roy

Michael

Mmmmm. Won't accept my serial no. on a 1DIV purchased fully legit from UK retailer. Nor my 7D from Kelso. BUT IT DID ACCEPT MY SX50 SERIAL o:)

Just posting in case others have any problems

Thanks for the link, Roy

Michael
It is only supposed to support the latest FF Cameras at the moment Mike e.g. 1DX, 5D3, 6D and 1DC. Once downloaded you can edit any jpeg with it but not RAWS from any un-supported Camera.
I am amazed that it took the SX50 serial number but it will not allow you to edit any SX50 RAWS.

Hi Roy - I can offer no explanation for this, but last night after I downloaded DPP4 I could (and did) edit RAW files on my PC, all of which were taken with the 1DIV, 7D or SX50. This morning, after rebooting the PC, it allows me to edit JPEG files(!) but not CR2 files. Above each CR2 preview image there is now an icon which looks line a no-entry sign with a pen type icon above it. Presumably "you can't edit this". Seems to a be switch in there somewhre which has been flipped to "Off". Bummer!

Michael.

Hi Roy - I can offer no explanation for this, but last night after I downloaded DPP4 I could (and did) edit RAW files on my PC, all of which were taken with the 1DIV, 7D or SX50. This morning, after rebooting the PC, it allows me to edit JPEG files(!) but not CR2 files. Above each CR2 preview image there is now an icon which looks line a no-entry sign with a pen type icon above it. Presumably "you can't edit this". Seems to a be switch in there somewhre which has been flipped to "Off". Bummer!

Michael.
It figures that you can edit jpegs from any Camera Mike as that is a standard format whereas the RAW files are Camera specific.
I have tried opening RAWs from 350D, 30D,40D,7D as well as from the SX40 and SX50 and none of them will open in DPP4. I do not think there is a switch Mike, it is not yet designed to work with non supported RAWs. From what I understand more Cameras will be supported in the future.

Check your operating system before downloading.
If I've interpreted correctly, it won't work on my trusty desktop loaded with 32bit WinXP SP3, but will on my 64bit laptop loaded with Win 8.1. I far prefer using WinXP.

Check your operating system before downloading.
If I've interpreted correctly, it won't work on my trusty desktop loaded with 32bit WinXP SP3, but will on my 64bit laptop loaded with Win 8.1. I far prefer using WinXP.
Yep, it clearly states that you need a 64 bit operating system to run it - it works fine on my Win7 m/c (I jacked in XP over a year ago but decided to go for Win 7 in preference to Win 8). It is also worth pointing out that microsoft no longer support XP!!
Of a bigger hassle to me is that you cannot send you converted RAW's direct to CS5 as you need CS6 >. There is an easy work around of course by just saving the converted RAW's into tiff and then opening the tiff file from CS5 - this adds an extra minute I guess so no big deal.

Roy,
If you upload version 4.0, does it automatically remove previous DPP versions so that you would be unable to convert 7D Raw files?

Ian

Roy,
If you upload version 4.0, does it automatically remove previous DPP versions so that you would be unable to convert 7D Raw files?

Ian
No Ian it does not remove previous versions - I am running both versions with no problems whatsoever.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back