• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 600d crop advice (1 Viewer)

Retrodaz

I've got a canon 600d and recently purchased a 400mm f5.6 lens. I understand that it becomes a longer range via the 1.6 crop, but images don't seem that closer in it when I look at birds that a far away. Does the canon 600d automatically convert the extra distance or do you have to turn something on to get the benefit? It just doesn't seem like a big upgrade over my 250mm.

Last edited:
You automatically get the 1.6x crop - you don't have to turn anything on.

This effectively gives you 640mm.

It should be much better than your 250mm for birds.

Rule of thumb for magnification on a 35mm film camera, or full-frame digital camera, is that a 50mm lens will give you a shot roughly equivalent to the magnification of human sight. So your 400mm lens is 8x on full-frame. Introduce the 1.6x crop sensor on your camera and you have nearly 13x. If you look at the magnification of binoculars and scopes you will start to get an idea of what you can expect but for photographic purposes, even with the big telephoto lenses you need to be close to your subject for high quality results.

I understand that it becomes a longer range via the 1.6 crop, but images don't seem that closer in it when I look at birds that a far away.

You don't get more magnification, just a smaller "field of view" compared to a full frame camera, so fewer wasted pixels around the bird.

The extra reach thing is a complete myth.

The pixel density of small sensors can be an advantage, but that is still not extra reach, only more pixels on the bird, which might give you better resolution when you view the photo on your monitor.

What you need to do is to learn how to crop the image more yourself during post processing. The following example shows the idea, the first image is how it came out in the Camera (taken with a 400/5.6 lens BTW) and the second image is how it looked after I cropped it up (and processed).

Attachments

• bw3.jpg
    bw3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 88
  • bw2v2.jpg
    bw2v2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back