• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Pentax Scope-will it be any good? (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Pentax are introducing the new PF 65ED series next week in Japan. Pretty good price too (about half the price of the 80mm). They appear to use different eyepieces............check it out at

www.pentax.co.jp/japan/products/sougan/scope/pf-65ed

As they are significantly cheaper than both Nikon and the Euro brands should I check them out when I upgrade my scope soon?

How good are Pentax scopes? I've read that gushing betterviewdesired article but haven't seen/met many birders using them even here in Japan.

They've had somewhat mixed reviews as far as I can see, but some folks rate them very highly; they do seem to offer good value for money. It looks a nice compact instrument - any chance of a translation of details - weight, eyepieces, etc? But for Brit birders the problem will be getting your hands on 'em as very few are imported, John

John Cantelo said:
it looks a nice compact instrument - any chance of a translation of details - weight, eyepieces, etc?

It's just over 1000g and has 3 eyepieces- 32.5, 46 and 20-60..........I had a quick look at the specs-the main thing I noticed was eye-relief wise they aren't as good as the eyepieces for the bigger scopes...........

stuprice68 said:
Pentax are introducing the new PF 65ED series next week in Japan. Pretty good price too (about half the price of the 80mm). They appear to use different eyepieces...

How good are Pentax scopes? I've read that gushing betterviewdesired article but haven't seen/met many birders using them even here in Japan.

I think the universal mount and the possibility to use excellent astro-eyepieces has been one of the strongest advantages of Pentax scopes. If the eyepiece selection is limited with one more proprietary bayonet, I would probably stick with small Kowas.

Ilkka

iporali said:
I think the universal mount and the possibility to use excellent astro-eyepieces has been one of the strongest advantages of Pentax scopes. If the eyepiece selection is limited with one more proprietary bayonet, I would probably stick with small Kowas.

Ilkka

Ikka, Check the photos of the eyepieces. They appear to have astro type barrels, hopefully the standard 1 1/4". Maybe the new eyepieces were developed to offer a lower cost alternative to the premium Pentax EPs. Henry

henry link said:
Ikka, Check the photos of the eyepieces. They appear to have astro type barrels, hopefully the standard 1 1/4". Maybe the new eyepieces were developed to offer a lower cost alternative to the premium Pentax EPs. Henry

Thanks (again) Henry. It looks like I couldn't navigate in the Japanese site to find the information. In that case the small Pentax is definitely worth checking.

Ilkka

Pf-65ed

I see these are available, does anyone have any updated information regarding quality of image compared to Zeiss, Leica etc????
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back