• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In Car Charging (1 Viewer)

sidwemn

Hi,
In September I will be going on a self drive trip to Botswana in a fully equipped 4x4. One issue we need to resolve is how we will charge all the batteries we will need, mainly camera batteries but also other devices (phone & Kindle). We will be camping for a good proportion of the trip and won't see much in the way of mains electricity.

What's the best solution for charging camera batteries and other devices using the cars 12v supply?

I see it there are two options -

- a 240v invertor - added advantage you can get those that also have a USB outlet - any recommendations?.
- a camera batteriy charger with 12v car adaptor - Canon's own chargers are rediculously expensive, anyone recommend a low cost 3rd pary charger.

Thanks
Martyn

Last edited:
Hi Martyn, Have a couple solutions I use. First is an inverter (110vac US) and lith-ion OEM charger.
Second is a small 700 volt-ampere Honda generator, in conjunction with above chargers.
Have lights that are best sourced by generator, plus in a pinch, I can jump start off it.

Hi Martyn

How about a Halfords Car Powerpoint. I've had one for a couple of years and find it works very well. As it has an output of 120 watts it's also useful for powering a laptop etc.

Tony

Last edited:
Hi Martyn

Apart from the camera batteries and laptops pretty well everything else charges with usb voltages. Your 4x4 will have at least one but possibly three 12v sockets. If you buy a couple of cigar lighter twin usb plugs from Maplin or your local garage (about £5 each) that will allow you to charge four devices at the same time.

I bought a mains Lp-e6 charger which also has a cigar lighter plug from Amazon it's made by ABC Products and was £8.95 with free UK delivery. It works fine.

This will allow you to charge everything providing you are in the car for long enough each day.

Hope this helps

Steve

Last edited:
Hi,
In September I will be going on a self drive trip to Botswana in a fully equipped 4x4. One issue we need to resolve is how we will charge all the batteries we will need, mainly camera batteries but also other devices (phone & Kindle). We will be camping for a good proportion of the trip and won't see much in the way of mains electricity.

What's the best solution for charging camera batteries and other devices using the cars 12v supply?

I see it there are two options -

- a 240v invertor - added advantage you can get those that also have a USB outlet - any recommendations?.
- a camera batteriy charger with 12v car adaptor - Canon's own chargers are rediculously expensive, anyone recommend a low cost 3rd pary charger.

Thanks
Martyn

I think this is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/PowerPlanet...=1403896007&sr=8-2&keywords=lp-e6+car+charger
It's worked fine but I haven't actually used it much as I do have a ridiculous number of spare batteries. All third party and all work as good as the original.

Thanks guys.

I've gone for the 3rd party charger as recommended by Steve B and a twin USB cigar lighter outlet adaptor.

I can't afford to run out of battery juice during the trip, but I have plenty of time to test/prove the charger works OK before I go.

Many thanks
Martyn

You did not say which camera batteries you were wanting to charge. I know when I had a 1Dmk3 there was a note in the instruction book warning against charging the batteries with an invertor. The only way they could be safely charged in a vehicle was with Canon's own lead. This might still be the case with the 1Dmk4 and 1Dx. Mine cost £35 and was never used! It's a bit of a risk going abroad and finding that you have trashed your batteries along the way.

You did not say which camera batteries you were wanting to charge. I know when I had a 1Dmk3 there was a note in the instruction book warning against charging the batteries with an invertor. The only way they could be safely charged in a vehicle was with Canon's own lead. This might still be the case with the 1Dmk4 and 1Dx. Mine cost £35 and was never used! It's a bit of a risk going abroad and finding that you have trashed your batteries along the way.

David,
they are LP-E6 for 7D & 60d Camera bodies. Batteries are a mixture of original and 3rd party. I've ordered early so the charger can be fully tested at home before I travel as I really can't afford to discover the "trashed battery" scenario once I'm there.

Cheers

Martyn

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back