• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Adam,
Yet again thank you. The Eiders, the LBBs, GBBs and ?Tern had me beat.
One more photo taken at Scremerston. I was thinking Little Gull - am I right.

Noel

Attachments

• Scremerston (10).JPG
    Scremerston (10).JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 138
Can anyone help just started taking photos how do you go about uploading them
think i've finally taken one decent enough to show, fingers crossed

You can either upload to the Gallery page of the website or you can attach a file to a post.

For the Gallery, reduce the image file size to less than 325kb, go to the Gallery page and click on "Upload", then enter the appropriate details and submit. The photo will be displayed on the Gallery page and also stored in your personal folder.

To attach to a post, reduce the image file size to less than 395kb and maximum 1200 x 1200 pixels, click on the Go Advanced button below the message window, click on Manage Attachments, click on Browse to find the reduced image file, then click on Upload. The image is then attached to your post and when you submit it the image will appear in the post.

Adam,
Yet again thank you. The Eiders, the LBBs, GBBs and ?Tern had me beat.
One more photo taken at Scremerston. I was thinking Little Gull - am I right.

Noel

you are right.

Not sure which bird you're meaning, but I can only see Black-headed Gulls in the photo - the one in the bottom left is a juvenile, with the buffy-brown mantle and head markings. If you look at the primary pattern though, it's typical Black-headed, as is the size.

Mark

Last edited:
Not sure which bird you're meaning, but I can only see Black-headed Gulls in the photo - the one in the bottom left is a juvenile, with the buffy-brown mantle and head markings. If you look at the primary pattern though, it's typical Black-headed, as is the size.

Mark
Yes you are right i should have looked at the pic properly silly me.Have to say the juv BH gulls do look a lot smaller than the 2 adults.Might be just the way they situated in the pic making them look smaller.

Last edited:
Rainton Meadows

2 Greenshank flew over this morning.

Also 2 (ad and juv) Common Tern
3 LRP
2 Oystercatchers with 2 chicks.

Recent highlights inc:-

2 Grey Partridge 7th July
1 Green Sandpiper 6th July

Mark

Thank you to everyone who have replied to my posts.

DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve.

11 species of wader on the main lake at Bishop Middleham today

Common, Green & Wood Sandpipers, Snipe, Ringed & Little Ringed Plover, Curlew, Dunlin, Lapwing, Oystercatcher and Greenshank.

NB:
The reserve is still experiencing problems with visitors ( birders & non birders alike ) walking close to the waters edge - this results in a negative impact throughout the year, but especially so during breeding season.

I spoke to one guy today who was along the waters edge with his dog . . .

When i advised him that it would be helpful if he sticks to the designated acess routes, as the area was a nature reserve & private farmland,
his reply was "well them with the binoculars wander all over".

Please Note:
There is NO acess to any part of the shoreline, there are several maps posted on stiles etc, signposts & interpretive panels to help all visitors enjoy their visits.

att'd image showing 4 of the waders feeding in close proximity

Attachments

• C.Lake_4-waders_July2010.gif
    C.Lake_4-waders_July2010.gif
    94.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
more waders

12 wader species on DBC Castle Lake Reserve today
heavy thundery showers this evening may drop one or 2 more

while we watch the returning passgae birds coming through, some of our local birds continue through their breeding cycle

3rd image shows Oystercatcher family on Pool 2 RM's

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Greenshank_14July_CLake2.gif
    Greenshank_14July_CLake2.gif
    224.4 KB · Views: 81
  • sand_.gif
    sand_.gif
    62.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Oiks-chick-RM-July2010.gif
    Oiks-chick-RM-July2010.gif
    106.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I was going to say! Its about time you where back on your patch.;)

Too much time looking at them boring Hobby's at Bish Mid.:-O

Says thou !, with thy recent change to dual Anglo/Scots nationality ;)

working visit today down there :t::t:

Mr Olley has further plans to maximise the sites potencial - additional scrapes & earthworks, access & viewpoint.
All very exciting, at this the best wetland site away from N.Tees marshes

Says thou !, with thy recent change to dual Anglo/Scots nationality ;)

working visit today down there :t::t:

Mr Olley has further plans to maximise the sites potencial - additional scrapes & earthworks, access & viewpoint.
All very exciting, at this the best wetland site away from N.Tees marshes
Hi Steve Hurworth Burn used to cracking for waders when the water level was right seen 15 species of wader there in one day.Still think you cannot beat Barmston Pond for waders when the water level is right.But i think we have lost Barmston Pond for waders which is a crying shame.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back