• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Liverpool Peregrines (1 Viewer)

ste-dee

I went down to check on the birds today as i was a bit concerned.There was a huge fire on one of the buildings next to where the birds nest,thank fully the fire was under control and the birds were still there.according to the Liverpool Echo last night the fire brigade were concerned the fire may spread to the building where the peregrines are nesting.I have been watching the birds down there for the last 8 years,they are amazing birds to watch and i can get very close to them,they just fly over you,check you out then go about there buisness.just hope every think will be ok.

Understand your concern. I check on my local pair almost every week. Glad to hear that they are doing OK.

Chris

As a localboy I hope his doesn't have a detrimental effect,these are resilient little beggers though,as a species they got through DDT, adapted well to urbanisation and have suffered much persecution, may they continue to liven up the waterfront,I've even seen the female on a mast before now, while shoppers walked below!

Good luck, keep an eye on 'em.

ta brandreth said:
As a localboy I hope his doesn't have a detrimental effect,these are resilient little beggers though,as a species they got through DDT, adapted well to urbanisation and have suffered much persecution, may they continue to liven up the waterfront,I've even seen the female on a mast before now, while shoppers walked below!

Good luck, keep an eye on 'em.
Hi ta brandreth,how you doing? when and where did you see the female? i gather it was down the Albert Dock.Lovely birds arn't they?Isn't it nice to have them in the area ,they amaze me.I have had some great times watching them.

ste-dee said:
I love watching the peregrines,what is your favourite moment ?
I too love watching Perrys in Wales, my favourite moment is when you see them stoop and take out some unsuspecting prey, been lucky enough to see this a number of times and its amazing. Its also good that in recent years the amount of persecution they suffer ( at the hands of whoever) has been drastically reduced, though i have to say that certain pairs are still targeted every season, brilliant birds though!

I was watching them the other year and one of the adults brought a pigeon to the chick that was sitting by the nest site,it let go of the pigeon just in front of the chick,the pigeon was still alive and the chick chased after it.The adult followed behind but the chick caught the pigeon after about 5 seconds.I also saw them mating that year.

Steve G said:
Watching them play tag with the local Redshanks.
Nice avatar by the way Ste-dee!
steve G sorry mate for stealing your avatar,ive been trying to get one of my own but didnt know how to get one.I just double clicked on yours as a tester and it worked ;) carnt take us scousers anywhere.

ste-dee said:
steve G sorry mate for stealing your avatar,ive been trying to get one of my own but didnt know how to get one.I just double clicked on yours as a tester and it worked ;) carnt take us scousers anywhere.

Like errrrrrrrmmm I'm a scouser and the missus can take me anywhere.....usually back twice to apologise :t:
Saw what I presume was a female high over the liverbuilding last Saturday so there could be another pair somwhere. Unless their territory takes her that way. What a sight Liverbirds and Peregrines in the same shot.......makes ya kinda proud what!

Before I'd seen my first peregrine I always imagined I'd see my first one racing along a cliff edge in hot pursuit of it's prey - but no, I saw my first at Seaforth docks and it wasn't even in flight it was on the ground looking very bored. I've seen plenty since then but I'll never forget seeing that first one.

while waiting for the glaslyn ospreys to make a apperance in 2004 i saw a family of 4 peregrins, the adults were teaching their young to hunt !! magic

I just love the 'demented herring gull' call, when the parent birds approach each other- marvellous,I also love watching 'my' birds, wheeling through the Runcorn/Widnes bridge after starlings,I saw two birds in Cumbria on Saturday, and I've got to say that after 20 plus years of Birding, this is the one for me - what a bird!!!!!!!!

Mind you, did I ever tell you about the White Phase Gyrflcon on Anglesey..........

jdbirdman said:
Like errrrrrrrmmm I'm a scouser and the missus can take me anywhere.....usually back twice to apologise :t:
Saw what I presume was a female high over the liverbuilding last Saturday so there could be another pair somwhere. Unless their territory takes her that way. What a sight Liverbirds and Peregrines in the same shot.......makes ya kinda proud what!
Like errrrrrrmmmm,it could have been one of the Hamilton Square birds.I saw one flying over city centre today headed towards the Royal hospital.

ste-dee said:
Like errrrrrrmmmm,it could have been one of the Hamilton Square birds.I saw one flying over city centre today headed towards the Royal hospital.

I saw one over Moreton from the train today - heading for B'head. A male.

well I aint seen any, were would be the best place to stand to see them from in hamilton square?, I know that they are in the station tower, thats all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back