• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Only if you know someone in the houses.
I have seen some people doing maintenance to the trees on the north end...where King goes.....not sure if we are allowed there but no fence etc stopping you.Entry is from the little pool area opposite old horse meadow.
Will ask someone on the facebook page....
Keith

Thursday 21st....had to pick up something at the docs in Wychall lane so had an half hour spare before getting off to work so popped over to Meercroft to see if any of the Goosanders were still there.....there were 4 to start off and were down to 2 but they were back to 4 again ...all female still.
The Kingfisher looks to be a regular visitor as well....always hiding in the mass of branches at the north end....as is the Heron as well.
Others there were...
10 B.H.gulls
3 Tufted
Coot
Moorhen
Mallards
and a 1st for me here ...a Male Sparrowhawk hiding in the branches above where the Kingfisher goes.Could be a colourful pic there some time....

Keith :t:

Nice one Keith - I will have to stop by and see if I get lucky!!

After seeing my 1st ever Scaup on Bartley Resa this morning I also got a 1st at Meercroft ...a Little Grebe.
There were also 5 Goosander ..up by one...no Males yet.
The BHGulls numbers were up as well..to 30.
Sit quietly amongst the sparse foliage near the waters edge and everything comes to give you the once over.
Coot and Gulls come within feet.The Gulls doing the "shadowing" of the Coot to try and pinch a meal,and end up squabbling with each each other.
The Little Grebe finally caught a fish and then took so long to eat it that a Moorhen started towards it and alerted a Gull which made a grab...The Grebe dived but the Gull got hold of something.when the Grebe surfaced some distance away it did not have the fish anymore.
Also a BLACK CAT staked out the possibility of a meal by sitting in amongst the low branches.

1...LIttle fisher....
2 and 3...Close Coots.
4 and 5...Shadowing Gulls

Attachments

• Canon 212 162.jpg
    Canon 212 162.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Canon 212 061 low.jpg
    Canon 212 061 low.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Canon 212 062 low.jpg
    Canon 212 062 low.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Canon 212 068 low.jpg
    Canon 212 068 low.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Canon 212 066 low.jpg
    Canon 212 066 low.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
And some more.......

1 and 2..More Goosanders...
3 and 4...Watch out !!!
5...Just before the Cat showed up.

Attachments

• Canon 212 056 low.jpg
    Canon 212 056 low.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Canon 212 058 low.jpg
    Canon 212 058 low.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Canon 212 086 low.jpg
    Canon 212 086 low.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Canon 212 087 low.jpg
    Canon 212 087 low.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Canon 212 085.jpg
    Canon 212 085.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Yeah, the lighting is pretty harsh. Took around 200 snaps of them last week whilst they were diving and preening around the fishing platform. One or two were ok for record shots, but the rest binned!

Is there any access to the far bank, behind the houses?

Hi Dave ...I have received this answer Re:the access around Meercroft.....

"There is no public access to that side flanked by the houses along Meadow Hill Road. In addition, access along the dam is only encouraged to the point where the Friends have constructed a fence, although I note that at present the fence does not prevent access beyond it - the Friends need to do some repair work! "

Keith

Hi Dave ...I have received this answer Re:the access around Meercroft.....

"There is no public access to that side flanked by the houses along Meadow Hill Road. In addition, access along the dam is only encouraged to the point where the Friends have constructed a fence, although I note that at present the fence does not prevent access beyond it - the Friends need to do some repair work! "

Keith

Nice one Kieth:t:

Long range shots it is then:eek!:

Dunno whether you check the Worcs Birding web site but 15 crossbills on the Lickeys by the Visitors Centre and 30 brambling by the cemetery on Twatling Road.

Dunno whether you check the Worcs Birding web site but 15 crossbills on the Lickeys by the Visitors Centre and 30 brambling by the cemetery on Twatling Road.

Yes I saw it on the Birding in Worcestershire thread from DISCORS.....bloody work means I cant do any spotting this week.....:-C

Hi Jason....I knew you would see this......:-O

The pic was at 12.16 pm.....but it was already in the bush I think when I got there (1/2 hour before)....and it jumped up into the branches just after and I did not see it come out.
It's a terrible place to get near anything though.....lots of tangled branches so short of hacking everything down and putting up a perch I will have to have a think about getting some better stuff.

heres the un cropped image.....

Hi Keith, I finally stopped by and took a look, saw the female goosander, actually your earlier photo of male goosander helped me identify some I've seen on a Selly Oak pond. Still not 100% sure as it seems to be all males together. On the subject of kingfisher finally got another really bad photo of my Essex kingfisher;
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2883521#post2883521

Popped in to Meercroft today then off to the Resa and River.
Eventually managed to get 8 Gossander at one time.....they kept hiding around the island at times.
A Jay almost landed on my head as I hid in the leafless branches and one of the Herons was keeping an eye on me from the island tree.
BHGulls were up to about 30 still and keeping everything on its toes.

Over at the Resa the water is really really low and nothing on it apart from a Heron at the back of the reeds.
Lots of Long Tailed and Blue Tits in the bushes in front of Resa as was a Wren
As always plenty of Blackbirds,Crows and Magpie about.

Attachments

• Canon 219 005.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 219 005.jpg low.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 79
Popped in to Meercroft today then off to the Resa and River.
Eventually managed to get 8 Gossander at one time.....they kept hiding around the island at times.
A Jay almost landed on my head as I hid in the leafless branches and one of the Herons was keeping an eye on me from the island tree.
BHGulls were up to about 30 still and keeping everything on its toes.

Over at the Resa the water is really really low and nothing on it apart from a Heron at the back of the reeds.
Lots of Long Tailed and Blue Tits in the bushes in front of Resa as was a Wren
As always plenty of Blackbirds,Crows and Magpie about.

Hi Keith,
When I go from Meercroft to the Resa, I always check out the Rea. There's that Brook that flows down from the Resa sluice and where that meets the Rear, I've seen a kingfisher, quite a few times. Fishing on a block in the Rea. I think looking for fish that go up the slower brook. I've also seen it fly up that brook, stop on the sluice and then go up and over to the Resa. I saw male Goosander on the Selly Oak model boating pond / Valley Parkway. Didn't know what they were until I saw your photo on the Meercroft thread.

Hi Keith,
When I go from Meercroft to the Resa, I always check out the Rea. There's that Brook that flows down from the Resa sluice and where that meets the Rear, I've seen a kingfisher, quite a few times. Fishing on a block in the Rea. I think looking for fish that go up the slower brook. I've also seen it fly up that brook, stop on the sluice and then go up and over to the Resa. I saw male Goosander on the Selly Oak model boating pond / Valley Parkway. Didn't know what they were until I saw your photo on the Meercroft thread.

Hi Jason.....cant believe there was a Goosander on this pond...if its the one I think as they are so shy...especially the Males I find.

Is this the place....http://www.bournville-mypb-club.org.uk/when.html

Hi Jason.....cant believe there was a Goosander on this pond...if its the one I think as they are so shy...especially the Males I find.

Is this the place....http://www.bournville-mypb-club.org.uk/when.html

Hi Keith,
The wonders of the modern world - I was not the only one to spot them. Someone else did on BTO;
When: 07 Dec 2013
Where: Valley Pool, Bournville (SP0381)
Who: Anonymous
What: Goosander (10)

Goosander

Hi Keith, I saw these and got a photo just before they took off in the direction of Kings Norton (excuse the bad photo they took me by surprise, it was a rush to get the camera and get a shot)

Attachments

• Selly Oak Goosander.jpg
    Selly Oak Goosander.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Back