• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED82 + MC 38X W vs Swarovski ATS 65 + 25-50X/65 (1 Viewer)

Hi all :smoke:

Im a very happy user of the Nikon 82ED with the zoom 25x75 MCII but im now after a fixed lense, which would be the best to go for the 38x wide or 30x wide ?

I really would like to know which is the wider for eye relief as you probably know that the zoom is rubbish for this!

Yeah i have read the reviews and specifications but would love to hear from someone who has had experience with these eyepecies.

I should try them both but everytime i go to ie: Cleyspy i forget to do this ;)

Any info would be fantastic :t:

Im a very happy user of the Nikon 82ED with the zoom 25x75 MCII but im now after a fixed lense, which would be the best to go for the 38x wide or 30x wide ?

I really would like to know which is the wider for eye relief as you probably know that the zoom is rubbish for this!

All of the fixed power eyepieces have substantially more eye relief than the zooms. Unlike the zooms, I find them all comfortable to use with glasses. Of the 30x and 38x options on the 82ED, the eyepiece with the smallest eye relief is the 30x MC, the 38x MC has a bit more, and the 30x DS has the most. I can't really tell the difference between the latter two in use, but the shorter eye relief of the 30x MC is sometimes apparent when I'm trying to grab a quick look through the scope from odd angles. So the 30x DS, which also has a slightly flatter field, is my favorite. Another option is the older 30x WF. It is the same optical formula as the MC version yet is considerably narrower in diameter because it has a folding eyecup. Consequently, I find that it has effectively more eye relief than the MC version even though the spec is the same.

--AP

Last edited:
All of the fixed power eyepieces have substantially more eye relief than the zooms. Unlike the zooms, I find them all comfortable to use with glasses. Of the 30x and 38x options on the 82ED, the eyepiece with the smallest eye relief is the 30x MC, the 38x MC has a bit more, and the 30x DS has the most. I can't really tell the difference between the latter two in use, but the shorter eye relief of the 30x MC is sometimes apparent when I'm trying to grab a quick look through the scope from odd angles. So the 30x DS, which also has a slightly flatter field, is my favorite. Another option is the older 30x WF. It is the same optical formula as the MC version yet is considerably narrower in diameter because it has a folding eyecup. Consequently, I find that it has effectively more eye relief than the MC version even though the spec is the same.

--AP

I think the coatings have been updated between the WF (rubber eyecup) and MC eye pieces (twist up), the later have a more greenish tint, the older were more reddish/pink,

Thanks to all the above for your indepth info :t:

Im thinking the 30x wide is the way foward for me then but i might go to CleySpy in Norfolk, UK to have a look through both the 30x & 38x wide and see which would work best for me.

I like using the zoom as used to it now but a fixed wide would be far more easier to use on our walks for others to view ;)

Again thanks and have a belting weekend B :)

--AP
Alexis,
I wholly agree.
Using the 30x DS, the 38x MC and the 50x DS on the Fieldscope ED 82, as a spectacle wearer I feel the 30x DS to be the most comfortable of all to me (long eye relief, large physical size of the eyepiece).
If a need a bit of extra power (e.g. for flying raptors far more than 1 km or seawatching) the 38x is perfect but FOV starts to be a bit too narrow and re-focusing on fast-moving birds sometimes may be difficult.
The 50x DS is of more limited use, but quality is top notch
Regards
Luca

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back