• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bharatpur - October (1 Viewer)

I love Bharatpur, superb place. Have a great time, the birds are good 24/7, if you've got a good ear the number of birds you can hear at night from that lodge place on the edge is just amazing! I'm very envious!

Just returned from India. I was at Bharatpur on 1st November and unfortunately the rumours are true. There is very little water at all !
Compared with a visit 5 years ago which was a 'wet' year I would say bird numbers are down 90%.

They are pumping up groundwater at two locations resulting in a muddy pond full of gasping catfish near the 'canal' and a muddy area near the temple. The pond by the temple is green and stagnent and all the Night Herons have gone.
There are no Storks/Herons/Cormorants there whatsoever, apart from 2 Woolly-necked Storks. We saw about 6 ducks in total - Shovelers and Spot-billed.
I suggest you visit the reserve for say one day and get a rickshaw. The driver will point out Collared Scops-Owl and Dusky Eagle Owls and maybe a few more passerines such as Bluethroat, Golden Oriole etc.

The muddy area had about 10 species of waders on it though :)

Then get a taxi to Bund Baratha (earlier in the day the better) where we saw Painted, Openbill and Woolly-necked Storks, Herons etc. There is also a Fruit Bat colony at the Government rest house just before the dam.

I'l do a trip report shortly, but PM me if you want further details.

Thanks Tony , wow, numbers 90% down !Hope your trip was good otherwise, a rethink needed with our four days , as its in the middle of our trip cannot really do much but spend the time there,will have to do a bit of cultural as well... Fatipur Sikri again !!!.. will look out for your trip report. Thanks again
ColD

Yes the numbers have plumeted. For example there were no Pied Kingfishers at all and maybe 2 or 3 Grey Herons and no Purple Herons or Gallinules. There were a lot of Jackals though.

ColD said:
Thanks Tony , wow, numbers 90% down !Hope your trip was good otherwise, a rethink needed with our four days , as its in the middle of our trip cannot really do much but spend the time there,will have to do a bit of cultural as well... Fatipur Sikri again !!!.. will look out for your trip report. Thanks again
ColD

Don't forget the grasslands at the Southern end (to the temple - turn left keep going for 2 km) where you will find Indian Courser, Weavers etc together with Citrine Wagtail.

hiya
just skimmed through the above, so apologies if I am repeating things others have said. Bharatpur in a dry year is still worth visiting in my opinion - you just have to change your focus to the excellent dry country birds (Indian courser, scoiable plover, spotted creeper, Brook's leaf warbler etc). Bund Bhareta is great and is very good when Bharatpur is dry - we had skimmer there last December (after six attempts over the years). It all depends on the waterlevels at the site - usually the reservoir is too high and the birds have no sandbanks to rest on but in dry years...

The ongoing rumour at Bharatphur is that a pipeline is being constructed from the Chambhal River to the site to allow the wetland to be flooded this way each year. Robbing Peter to pay Paul I guess but if it is ever completed things may return to normality. Never get the Siberian cranes back though sadly.

cheers p

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back