• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Birds Have Disappeared :( Very Odd (1 Viewer)

birdlady2008

Hello all,

I typically have many bird visitors at the feeders in my back yard, and usually need to refill the feeders on a daily basis. My regulars used to include flocks of mourning doves, sparrows, and finches. Dozens of them.

About two weeks ago, it seems like they started disappearing (except for the scrub jays/blue jays). I have not had to fill my feeders at all for the past week because they are still completely full. Today I saw only a single male finch at one feeder for a short time.

I am trying to figure out why.

I have noticed more blue jays than usual recently, and I'm wondering whether they have run the other birds off? Although, there have always been blue jays that visit the feeders. There was a hawk patroling the feeders a couple of months ago, but thankfully he moved on - or at least I haven't seen him in a while.

The hummingbirds are still visiting their feeders - in fact, their number is increasing.

I appreciate any feedback - it's so odd that the doves, sparrows, and finches have disappeared. I miss them!

Thanks

It may be related with the breeding season. Many species become much more insectivorous and visit the feeders much less. At least this is what happens at home.

It's simple - they're breeding. Not only are they spending half their time on a nest incubating, or finding insects for chicks, but they're also territorial so have dispersed, and the few pairs of birds around your garden will tend to keep others away.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back