• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED or not? (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I am looking at a Prostaff 5 and am debating whether or not to purchase with ED glass or not. I had a Swaro 80mm HD but sold that recently to purchase other equipment and now I have around a $1000 left.

So I was looking at several scopes such as the Nikon Prostaff 5...Vixen Geoma, ....I am not a fan of the Vortex series as I see 'cheapness' in a pair of bino's I have ....

But my basic question of all of them is ....ED or not? I know in my own postings concerning digiscoping I have stated the value of ED glass for digiscoping but the more I look and worked with digiscoping (with my Swaro 80mm) the more I saw that 'images' while they were great shots for a digiscope, they did not match up to a camera + lens. The images always will have a bit of noise when digiscoping due to the process.

So is there any true value to purchasing a Prostaff 5 with Ed glass? I am thinking not..... especially with a $600 scope, although by all accounts and the ones I have used in the field, the prostaff non ED model is really good... jim

The key consideration is probably: what is your range and your local weather?
If you're working over 200-300 yards and/or there is a lot of atmospheric mixing
(wind or strong temperature swing during the day, or water nearby),
you will rarely be able to effectively use that glass.

Given what you own already, your air is the controlling instrument.
Grabbing a bigger air-cell with a 90+mm or wider Cat might do more for you.
(what can be done, that is)

I am familiar with the Nikon Fieldscopes, the original versions, and the 60mm scope was available
with either ED or regular glass in the FS III.

The Nikon Prostaff 5 scope does not have ED glass, and if you are used to a Swarovski scope you
do know you are at least 2 steps down from what Nikon has offered similar to the Swaro. with the EDG and the
Fieldscope. The new Nikon Monarch is a higher end choice, and I have not seen much on those yet.

The Prostaff 5 is Nikons basic scope, and with all the new changes recently, I see they do have a
Prostaff 3 scope also.

Good luck with your search.

Jerry

ED, every day of the month…

Check out the nikon ED50, very good value for money,
or a second hand nikon fieldscope EDIII (60mm), a more sturdy and solid scope,

I would recommend a fixed eye piece 20-30x Wide,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back